Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Thats The Warriors mate :thumbup:

lol yup edited as soon as i posted.. duh, pretty sure they came out at almost the same time? Went to see both at the drive in with my then girlfriend (now wife) just a lazy 30 years ago

Time :blink: gone :)

See, I'm not entirely against shallow movies with a slim story and dim characters. There has to be room for films that appeal to a larger audience.

What I don't like is the current disparity between those kinds of films and the ones that try to be meaningful.

Therein lies the true power of film.

Yes, movies have to be visual, as long as it suits the story. But when the visual experience starts to dominate the rest, it can't end well.

For instance, how much different is Pirates of the Caribbean 4 compared to its three predecessors?

People I know who have seen it are massively disappointed and say its even worse than Part Three.

And the recent output in poor buddy comedies is just a rehash of times past (the Sixties and Eighties in particular).

And here's another critical point: There's so many actors out there, yet for a lot of the male characters, they simply choose the same face over and over again (count the amount of times Seth Rogen has appeared in a, cough, buddy comedy!).

It's all been done, all just recycled ideas, served on a new platter.

Edited by Prussian

It bugs me immensely that Hollywood crap like Hangover 2 is able to attract so many dumbed-down cinemagoers, whereas Malick's Tree of Life is more than just neglected, both by the press and the audience.

the-tree-of-life-movie-poster-01-286x450.jpg

These are the pictures people should see more often.

I take it most people just don't want to reflect when going to the movies no more.

I'm a bit pessimistic here and predict a future where three out of four movies shown at most theatres will be sequels.

I would completely agree with you, but EVERY Malick film I have seen has been abject crap and I would actually rather watch Inspector Gadget (see above) than watch the pretentiousness again!

Hahaha can't believe you even bothered to watch that! You must have been in a life or death situation :P

I'll watch anything... once.

Watched 'Orphan' last night around a neighbour mates' and it did scared the fook out of me. Pfft. Disgusting film and should be 18-certified, not 15. :o

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Watched 'Orphan' last night around a neighbour mates' and it did scared the fook out of me. Pfft. Disgusting film and should be 18-certified, not 15. :o

lol

Watched that too, not scary at all... but I liked the twist!

It's not pretentious, Phube, you just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Oh my God, it's just like, so post-modern.

Are you talking Tree of Life or Malick in general?

Because I've not seen Tree of Life, I'm sure I will, and I'm sure it'll bore me rigid...

Watched that too, not scary at all... but I liked the twist!

Are you talking Tree of Life or Malick in general?

Because I've not seen Tree of Life, I'm sure I will, and I'm sure it'll bore me rigid...

I was joking tbh.

Watched these last night. Just Go With It was actually fairly funny in places. Red Riding Hood i turned off after about 40 minutes. Utter crap. Only wanted to watch it cos of Gary Oldman who is a great actor.

just-go-with-it-movie-poster-1020674525.jpg

red-riding-hood-movie-poster.jpg

Edited by MikeyT

snowtown-movie-poster21_cropped_230x250.jpg

How was it ROO?

I read the book and if youve not seen the CSI doco thing that Steve Leibman did about it, its worth a look...just so incredibly gruesome. They are some fooked up people right there.

i used to live a couple of miles away from the main murder house... drove past it every week :sick:

Edited by ozleicester

How was it ROO?

I read the book and if youve not seen the CSI doco thing that Steve Leibman did about it, its worth a look...just so incredibly gruesome. They are some fooked up people right there.

i used to live a couple of miles away from the main murder house... drove past it every week :sick:

Pretty good, yeah saw the doco as well really gruesome stuff and it;s true.

Love when ever Melbourne Victory play Adelaide and we chant "you put your bodies in a barrole"

Saw Pirates Of The Carribean 12 and The Hangover 2 at the weekend.

Both enjoyable.

POTC was better than the last one The Hangover wasnt. TH2 was never going to be though but is more than watchable even if they went slightly too weird with Alan. Not as quotable but still very funny. Chow steals it.