Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

New redband trailer for The Thing,looks awesome :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqnYZ1mM77U

It looks ok, but nothing will compare to the original. In essence this is a remake.

First time I saw the original it was on a cheap black and white dial operated channel changer with really bad reception. This only added to the horror that I was to behold.

Also if the metaphor for the original was AIDS whats the new one all aboot?

Edited by sphericalfox

It looks ok, but nothing will compare to the original. In essence this is a remake.

First time I saw the original it was on a cheap black and white dial operated channel changer with really bad reception. This only added to the horror that I was to behold.

I think the 1982 version was a remake of a 1951 version also.

I think that one was a metaphor for communism.

I'm just not feeling the 2011 version though but I do like how they've gone with a relatively unknown cast.

I agree,John Carpenters version has a lot to live up to,there really wasn't any need for a prequel and i really hope they don't fook it up !

Never thought of The Thing as being connected to AIDS,always thought that was The Fly ?

I think the 1982 version was a remake of a 1951 version also.

I think that one was a metaphor for communism.

I'm just not feeling the 2011 version though but I do like how they've gone with a relatively unknown cast.

1982 version closer to the novel "Who goes there?" which both films are based on.

Gleeson is very good. :thumbup:

in everything he's in :thumbup:

Here's one of my favourites. If you've ever fallen out with your brother, or good mate, it might be one for you.

The Straight Story

I get dust in my eye everytime I watch this. Gotta get the wife off sandwich making duties and get out the duster methinks. :whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OnsVDKjhpc

Looks like quite a nice film. Had never heard of it. Just did a little research on it and saw this:

"Farnsworth was diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer in the early 1990s. By 1999, he had been diagnosed as having terminal bone cancer. He made the movie The Straight Story while in considerable pain. Not wanting to live his life in pain, Farnsworth committed suicide by shooting himself at his ranch in Lincoln, New Mexico". :(

Looks like quite a nice film. Had never heard of it. Just did a little research on it and saw this:

"Farnsworth was diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer in the early 1990s. By 1999, he had been diagnosed as having terminal bone cancer. He made the movie The Straight Story while in considerable pain. Not wanting to live his life in pain, Farnsworth committed suicide by shooting himself at his ranch in Lincoln, New Mexico". :(

He actually started off as a stuntman in all the old black and white westerns. His story is worthy of a movie alone, but this is a quirky slow drama, and is all metaphor. A beautiful one at at that. Don't be put off by the fact David Lynch directed it. It's not mind warping or weird. It's exactly as it says on the tin.

Farnsworth got nominated for an Oscar too. Didn't win though.