Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

That's a modern take on a Shakespeare then? Which one? They often work well (let's face it, the basic premises of modern stories are pretty much covered by the diversity of Shakespeare's work).

Can't beat Forbidden Planet though!

Have you been living in a cave!?

Ralph Fiennes directorial debut, it's Coriolanus set as a modern war film with the 'legionnaires' all decked out like US Marines and the Volsci (and in particular, Gerard Butler as Aufidius) eerily resembling Castro's Cubans. lol

As with Luhrmann's R+J, though, it retains the original script without modernising the speech.

Have you been living in a cave!?

Ralph Fiennes directorial debut, it's Coriolanus set as a modern war film with the 'legionnaires' all decked out like US Marines and the Volsci (and in particular, Gerard Butler as Aufidius) eerily resembling Castro's Cubans. lol

As with Luhrmann's R+J, though, it retains the original script without modernising the speech.

Obviously!

Thing is "high brow" stuff like this doesn't get half the publicity it deserves. I wasn't aware of The Artist until it was too late :(

And Coriolanus (a play about a guy who get's his backside caught on a reef?) is one Shakespeare play I've never seen or read or really have much idea of, so should be interesting. I might try and catch this. :thumbup:

Yeah sorry I tend to spend half of my life reading Total Film and Empire but I don't really watch TV and thus get exposed to a lot of adverts, so I'm a bit out of touch with what films are and aren't seen as "big."

Coriolanus will feature pretty heavily in Oscar season though, I imagine. It is very good, though despite the gun fights and the rolling columns of tanks I still wouldn't really recommend it to anyone who's instantly put off by the fact it is, still, essentially just a Bill S play.

It doesn't quite translate in the same way that Romeo + Juliet did. I mean Baz Luhrmann really over-did the glitz and the Hollywood where as Fiennes has gone very typically serious.

Oh. And it's got some serious ginger milf credentials.

jessica-chastain-red-hair-db9f2.jpg

It is very good, though despite the gun fights and the rolling columns of tanks I still wouldn't really recommend it to anyone who's instantly put off by the fact it is, still, essentially just a Bill S play.

Which annoys me, cos as I said, all your modern story lines can be found in Shakey. Any number of romcoms are Taming of the Shrew or Much Ado About Nothing. Gangster films are Julius Caesar or Hamlet. Thrillers are Richard the III or Macbeth. War films that are Henry V...

Having said all that I know people who have never watched a black and white film because they think they're boring. :(

Which annoys me, cos as I said, all your modern story lines can be found in Shakey. Any number of romcoms are Taming of the Shrew or Much Ado About Nothing. Gangster films are Julius Caesar or Hamlet. Thrillers are Richard the III or Macbeth. War films that are Henry V...

Having said all that I know people who have never watched a black and white film because they think they're boring. :(

And don't be fooled in to thinking Shakespeare was being overly original, these stories would only have been his adaptations of still centuries old archetypes.

I don't think the plot would necessarily put people off, though, because it's "old" or "classic." It's the Shakespearean language that I think a lot of people find hard to penetrate and/or enjoy. And I can sympathise a little, I suppose, if not empathise.

Some people want to go and watch a film and just disengage, switch themselves off and be immersed in a visual experience for a couple of hours (a la Transformers or Avatar) and there's nothing really wrong with that, it's all about personal taste and what you want from cinema. The draw back of something like Coriolanus is you have to be somewhat alert and aware to decipher it as it's happening and that's not what everyone wants from a trip to Showcase.

Watched 'In Time' last night.

Great concept badly handled. Maybe that had been down to budget, but if the idea had been more BladeRunner-gritty, it may well have been an excellent moving picture that I might view again.

Just watched this,quite enjoyed it,the directors previous film Gattaca is one of my favourites

Battle-Los-Angeles-Blu-ray.jpg

Pffft.

Not great.

The plot:

Aliens attack LA. Marines fight aliens. Marines do stupid things until only a handful are left just to save 5 people in a police station in an LA suburb. lol Marines find a way to kill the aliens. They fight back against the aliens. They find the control centre and blow it up. The aliens run away. The end.

Think Independance Day, only worse. Independance Day isn't good either.