Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Need help... Calling Daggers, 21st Century Fox and Rico.

I`m looking for a film from the 80`s

Mans car breaks down

Man comes across a shack/house

Fit girl and her dad live there

Girl dances for her dad

Girl falls for man

Man and girl escape

HELP!

Set in the deep south USA and I think it had comfort in its title or southern...

I'm insulted not to be asked. :o I am a veritable encyclopedia of filmic knowledge, both generic and obscure. For shame!

I'm insulted not to be asked. :o I am a veritable encyclopedia of filmic knowledge, both generic and obscure. For shame!

In that case perhaps you can help me: I've been on-off looking for a while for an old movie where a guy's hand melts away before his eyes (he might have dipped it in something, and there's a chance it may even be in a dream sequence). I'm sorry for being so vague but that's literally all my brain has retained of that film. Oh and he's screaming while it happens.

Edited by NeilyBoy

In that case perhaps you can help me: I've been on-off looking for a while for an old movie where a guy's hand melts away before his eyes (he might have dipped it in something, and there's a chance it may even be in a dream sequence). I'm sorry for being so vague but that's literally all my brain has retained of that film. Oh and he's screaming while it happens.

"The Fly" has a melting hand scene

Right that is a difficult one. The link below might offer you some options, but I vaguely remember a scen in the remake of the Blob possibly where this occurs. I could be wrong. If you remember anymore details then this would be good, as there is a scene in The Fly where after having been sicked on the 'baddy's' hand does melt off.

http://www.bloodsprayer.com/uncategorized/oozing-with-charm-my-top-five-melt-movies/

Right that is a difficult one. The link below might offer you some options, but I vaguely remember a scen in the remake of the Blob possibly where this occurs. I could be wrong. If you remember anymore details then this would be good, as there is a scene in The Fly where after having been sicked on the 'baddy's' hand does melt off.

http://www.bloodspra...ve-melt-movies/

As great as that was, it's not the film I'm thinking of - nor are the ones from the list. The guy was a young man - somewhere between late teens and mid twenties, and there was a woman in the scene but nobody else.

As a Lynchian myself

I've never heard that as a form of self description before. :D

Bronson is a class film from almost every angle, I've not seen your other one.

Drive just doesn't deliver, it's not a deconstructed Lynch film, it's not a doff of the cap to previous classics - its just a very, very poorly made piece of celluloid.

Quite unusually for me, I've been watching many films and programs totally sober recently. With earphones in the thing gets my undivided attention. The mark of whether it works or not is whether I eventually shrink the screen and start posting, tweeting or blogging at the same time - and I did.

As with all things, I'm glad you and others got pleasure from it. For me it was simply piss poor.

Tonight I'm throwing Thatcher onto the TV for four staunch Thatcher haters to watch. I'm looking forward to our collective responses.

Quite unusually for me, I've been watching many films and programs totally sober recently. With earphones in the thing gets my undivided attention. The mark of whether it works or not is whether I eventually shrink the screen and start posting, tweeting or blogging at the same time - and I did.

Glad it's not just me then. I started watching my film at half ten; an hour and a quarter later and I'm 20 minutes in... :sweating:

Drive just doesn't deliver, it's not a deconstructed Lynch film, it's not a doff of the cap to previous classics - its just a very, very poorly made piece of celluloid.

As with all things, I'm glad you and others got pleasure from it. For me it was simply piss poor.

Tonight I'm throwing Thatcher onto the TV for four staunch Thatcher haters to watch. I'm looking forward to our collective responses.

Don't get me wrong about Drive, it has it's flaws, and some of the story is contrived. The relationship, and the child element makes me cringe. But it reminds me essentially of a western, a bit of Shane if you like. Refn's themes of masculinity and raw instinctive violence within us all runs through those films I listed. Must be a Scandinavian thing.

I read somewhere that public who went to Drive were pissed and wanted their money back, as there was barely any driving in it at all and the main character didn't speak much!

Also if you haven't seen Pusher, do so, you might like it. Avoid at all cost the remake, I've seen the recent trailer for it and it is gash.

Comparing a film to works of Lynch is a pretty sure fire way to put me off. Possibly the most over-hyped film maker of all time.

I'll happily put my hand up and admit that, unfortunately, I had to study his works and being forced to de-construct a piece of art is the fastest way to be put off by it, in my experience. But Christ alive. I remember sitting through Blue Velvet, desperately trying not to fall asleep whilst pretentious morons who didn't even understand the term beat off over how "post-modern" it all was.

Ych y fi.

I'm not an air head, I don't watch films to disengage my brain, I'm happy to be challenged but weird for the sakes of weird? No thank you.

Comparing a film to works of Lynch is a pretty sure fire way to put me off. Possibly the most over-hyped film maker of all time.

I'll happily put my hand up and admit that, unfortunately, I had to study his works and being forced to de-construct a piece of art is the fastest way to be put off by it, in my experience. But Christ alive. I remember sitting through Blue Velvet, desperately trying not to fall asleep whilst pretentious morons who didn't even understand the term beat off over how "post-modern" it all was.

Ych y fi.

I'm not an air head, I don't watch films to disengage my brain, I'm happy to be challenged but weird for the sakes of weird? No thank you.

Horses for courses...ahem... of course.

I wouldn't blame you. You either like em or hate em, no inbetweens. Being forced to study something isn't going to change your mind either, just reinforce it.

As a Lynchian myself, and a recent viewer of Drive, I will very much disagree. You might even say this film is an homage to elements of some Lynch films without the balls out weirdness. For me it's a simple discussion about man's deep rooted violent tendencies, as was Refn's previous films. Which for me, if you've neither seen Bronson or Valhalla Rising you probably won't get where he's coming from. It's also a homage to 80's motifs, as were elements of Bronson.

You may have been not in the mood when you watched it. I say give it a while and retread it. If you still feel the same way then fair enough, but I think there's enough there to consider it a reasonable ode to that that has come before it.

If you dont like Refn's starkness and non-story arc with the absence of dialogue and graphic violence then avoid Valhalla Rising, it won't be your cup of tea. :thumbup:

I've got to agree with Spherical here. I really enjoyed Drive, although it just screamed early Michael Mann too me. Its incredibly similar to Thief, even down to the titles typeface. The Pusher series is also really good.

Apologises WTF BBQ I didn't see that last night.

Which is everyone's favourite Carry On film ?

which bears up best to deconstructive criticism ?

Mine is Carry on Jack :)

Personally I thought the blatant references to Bergman were ill advised and fatuous .

I prefer Carry on Camping because Barbara Windsor gets her boobies out. :)