Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

That might be, but there's just a special flair to the original that I don't see here.

I think back in its day, the Schwarzenegger movie was groundbreaking for its use of special effects and the way it captured the essence of Dick's story.

The major question is how close the remake will be to the source material or whether it turns out to be just another CGI orgy - the trailer suggests the latter.

The original featured more cheese than an episode of Wallace & Gromit.

I also rewatched it last week in prep for the new one and felt it stank as much as when I first watched it back then. Wooden acting, wobbly sets, awful make-up and dire dialogue.

Horses for courses and all that but I can't see how this remake can be anything other than a massive improvement over the Arnie disaster.

Anyone seen Coriolanus yet? If so, any good? Looks pretty decent judging by the trailers.

It's very good but it's a play. A Shakespearian play.

Don't go in expecting some Romeo + Juliet style ultra-modern adaptation and definitely not a 10 Things-esque total revamp.

The trailer is very misleading, there's only really one action sequence and even that watches largely like a stage fight.

If you can handle Shakespearian language and enjoy classic acting then it's definitely worth the watch but just don't go in with false expectations.

Why both with re-makes at all.

Create a new film and stop trying to cash in on soemone elses work.

There are VERY few original screenplays in the land of the holly. About 10 years ago the percentage about about 85% remakes of some other medium (book/ tv show etc). I should think the remakes/reboots in more recent years have probably skewed this even more.

Comic/graphical books are big big business and the land of holly doesn't let the teat go until its weeping. :thumbup:

It's very good but it's a play. A Shakespearian play.

Don't go in expecting some Romeo + Juliet style ultra-modern adaptation and definitely not a 10 Things-esque total revamp.

The trailer is very misleading, there's only really one action sequence and even that watches largely like a stage fight.

If you can handle Shakespearian language and enjoy classic acting then it's definitely worth the watch but just don't go in with false expectations.

Cheers Finnegan. Well, coming from an acting background, I have had to study a fair bit of Shakespeare in my time so I don't mind that at all. I even watched a Shakespeare piece in Russian once at the Warwick Arts Centre and it was subtitled. Ha

Cheers.

Just watched Drive, very simple plot really that without the brilliant direction could and would have been a non event.

Good use of some great music also that I thought made a big difference.

Really enjoyed it and I don't enjoy many films!

Just watched Drive, very simple plot really that without the brilliant direction could and would have been a non event.

Good use of some great music also that I thought made a big difference.

Really enjoyed it and I don't enjoy many films!

I hated this film thought it was shocking! But people I have spoke to loved it! Never has a film divided my group of mates like this!

I hated this film thought it was shocking! But people I have spoke to loved it! Never has a film divided my group of mates like this!

I can definitely understand why some people would hate it. It's slow, there isn't much to the plot etc.

I think being a designer I loved it from an artistic point of view, and the simplicity and pace of the film just worked when you added all the other bits. The way it was shot, the music, the understated lead acting, even the neon pink font in brush script on the title sequence giving it a real 70's/80's feel.

I can definitely understand why some people would hate it. It's slow, there isn't much to the plot etc.

I think being a designer I loved it from an artistic point of view, and the simplicity and pace of the film just worked when you added all the other bits. The way it was shot, the music, the understated lead acting, even the neon pink font in brush script on the title sequence giving it a real 70's/80's feel.

Yeah I see where your coming from, It just didn't grip me really! Interesting that you're a designer as I am to..... What kind of design?

Drive is wicked, people don't like it because it's totally different to anything out in recent years. It doesn't follow conventional movie 'rules' so people don't appreciate it the little things that make it what it is. In other words nerrrr nerrrrr you're wrong.

Anyway I just watched Moneyball, thought it was terrific. I don't know anything about baseball but it already made me want to get into it, can't believe the GM revolutionized the sport yet everyone else has taken his ideas and won titles instead of him. In some ways he must like that he's had a part in improving the sport but in others he must feel totally robbed.

220px-God_bless_america_ver2.jpg

Regardless of the film as a whole, the first 2'40" rank as some of my most favourite celluloid seconds ever. The cinema scene: magnificent.

It's every post I have ever made in the 'Grinds my gears' thread.

Regardless of the film as a whole, the first 2'40" rank as some of my most favourite celluloid seconds ever. The cinema scene: magnificent.

Not seen it, but as the best 'x' mins of film. The first 10 mins of Up cannot be beaten.

Edited by Phube

Bobcat Goldthwait (from Police Academy!!!) always makes really good off kilter films.

World's Greatest Dad is also really good, about a writer who fakes his son's anguished diary that becomes a bestseller after he accidentally dies during an asphyxy wank.

220px-Hugo_Poster.jpg

Was good, an enjoyable piece of escapism that anyone can watch - though strangely for a U cert, I can see it being lost on children.

i thought that too, a few references to silent movies that i'm sure quite a lot of young children now days have no interest in at all