Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Are then any examples of movies that score <50% on rotten tomatoes or metacritic but which are actually good?

I pretty much haven't watched a movie that scores less than 70% on RT for a good few years. The other day a colleague lent me some of his movies and they are all fking abysmal. Crappy tacky action movies like Killer Elite. 25% on RT, well justified, because it's absolute crap.

Why would you watch a movie that scores so badly? It's like booking a 1-star hotel when you could have had a 5-star hotel for the same price.

Are then any examples of movies that score <50% on rotten tomatoes or metacritic but which are actually good?

I pretty much haven't watched a movie that scores less than 70% on RT for a good few years. The other day a colleague lent me some of his movies and they are all fking abysmal. Crappy tacky action movies like Killer Elite. 25% on RT, well justified, because it's absolute crap.

Why would you watch a movie that scores so badly? It's like booking a 1-star hotel when you could have had a 5-star hotel for the same price.

Seriously Dave, seriously.

As it so happens on iPlayer right now is a Bruce Willis film called Surrogates - it's got 39% on RT but I found it very enjoyable and even thought provoking at times. And of course it has some nice action scenes.

However, if what you meant was "are there any films that score <50% but which are classics" then I wouldn't recommend it.

It is quite easy to look at this the other way and ask why so many movies score 70%+ which are actually quite bad.

I've just seen Hugo which scored 83 on metacritic and i thought it was just plain dull. There was nothing to it and the plot was almost pointless although it was a nice film to look at. Some directors just get inflated scores because of who they are - tis not right!

lol

Can't we just take that as a given for everything originating from 1970-1989?

And yet I do love a lot of films from before that period... and some within... maybe a good film is always a good film. An okay film gets worse with time...?

Didn't know you could get films on IPlayer. Thought it was just old programs from previous week.

Sometimes when they show films they get the rights to stick it online too. A pretty cool feature when they get an old favourite in like Total Recall or Jurassic Park. :thumbup:

Follow the TLB Movie Rule of Thumb - if you've never heard of a film, there's probably a very good reason for that.

Actually, I'm thinking of films that get poor reviews, but which I quite like.

Take Cutthroat Island - always gets bad reviews, but as saturday family matinee viewing, it does its job. It's certainly better than the tripe that is Pirates of the Caribbean. (Which generally gets much better reviews.)

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

Sometimes when they show films they get the rights to stick it online too. A pretty cool feature when they get an old favourite in like Total Recall or Jurassic Park. :thumbup:

I was only looking at the TV version. Not used the opnline version for a while. May have to download it again. Not sure if I have it on my PC.

I was only looking at the TV version. Not used the opnline version for a while. May have to download it again. Not sure if I have it on my PC.

You don't have to download it - it's all streamable online. You can download a desktop version to download and save programs to for a limited period but I never use it unless my internet's being stupidly slow. Films are in the film category, I'm surprised it's not available on the TV version - logically you'd think they'd have the rights to put them on there too.

Just looking at it now. Maybe you have to have all the extras to get films. Surrogates is available. Think I'll watch that. Did have downloadable version once I think on my laptop but it was when I couldn't watch everything at once.

Just watched

225px-Logans_run_movie_poster.jpg

Probably the worse film ever, made watchable by the lovely Jenny Agutter.

Logan-s-Run-science-fiction-19961473-500-336.jpg

Unfortunately they cut out the scene where she gets her kit off.

I caught a bit of it and was thinking 'I hope somebody remakes this'!

I think it's a good story and could be a decent modern film. The 1976 version is a bit dated though.