Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Just back from Prometheus...great photography, Iceland I believe but on the whole I have to say the film for me was poor.

I think it started well good plot but quickly got silly. Also, some of the props/effects/alien looked tacky and cheap. Dissapointing.

Sky+'d it. Will get round to it in the next 3-4 months!

P.s. Rico, you ever feel like commenting on the films you've seen!? :P

District 9 - Excellent

Chopper - Excellent

:D

I liked Prometheus.

I think a lot of peeps were disappointed because it is not Alien but it was not meant to be Alien but a story about where they, the ship and the pilot of that ship came to be there on LV 426.

Seems the studio wanted it in parts though because it was made for sequels and the planet they were on was LV 226.

I liked Prometheus.

I think a lot of peeps were disappointed because it is not Alien but it was not meant to be Alien but a story about where they, the ship and the pilot of that ship came to be there on LV 426.

Seems the studio wanted it in parts though because it was made for sequels and the planet they were on was LV 226.

I did warn you. Right. You're getting a double barrel blast of why Prometheus is bollocks. In no particular order:

SPOILERS HERE ON

1) the two guys getting lost in what was essentially a underground cave that had very few chambers. One of these was a geologist no less. Surely heading back uphill would have been a easy decision in finding ones way out. And with all the GPS, radio and headsets, why did no one tell them they where to go..... Or them even aske where to go?

2) rafe spall coming in to contact with an alien organism that we can assume has never been seen before. He then tells it how beautiful it is and proceeds to pet it.... Do me a favour! The man was a biologist not a ****ing retard!

3) the stupid ghost sequences were never explained and merely served as a plot device to get from a to b. and to show off some wanky effects.

4) when they open the door where the guy got decapitated, they were more bothered with his head than the big **** off one in the room!

5) the alien spaceship is started up by playing 3 notes on a bloody flute. YES, A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT! I mean at what point in development did that ever sound cool. "you know what guys, we need a really cool way to start this big alien craft up?" "hmmmmm what about a button or even a simple key Rid?" "no, no no,it's got to be a musical instrument" "a wah?"

6) the instant c section that cuts right through her stomach muscles, is simply stapled and she's running about in seconds. Having had my appendix removed though an inch long cut in my abdomen, I can tell you that the human body can not function properly for weeks.

7) Guy Pearce dressed as an old man? Why? Why not just hire an older actor?

8) when David's head is removed it lands on the floor. When the space ship is crashed in to (I'm coming to that next) and proceeds to roll after the 2 female leads (I'm coming to that too). Once it is stationary, his head is in the same place!

9) the captain and his 2 cronies decided to kill themselves in a nano second and everyones reaction in the cinema was, seriously? They just crashed in to the other ship and died? I guess it was plausible with the magnitude of the situation. I mean, they're is this space ship filled with black death and it's head for earth. That's pretty tense right? WRONG! Zero tension throughout the whole film meant that when we reached the climax the situation didn't seem all that.

10) arrrrr my favourite. How we gonna kill Charlize off? She's not the protagonist and has been a bitch all through the film. Hmmm let's make her runaway from the rolling space ship and get crushed. Now, I don't know about you, if a tree is ever falling down towards me, I'm going to opt for a run in perpendicular direction and not simply in the line where it is going. It's such a shame Miss Theron didn't think a bit wiser.

They are just some of the stupider points. Generally, the script is appalling, the characters uninteresting, it is badly acted (Fassbenders the best but not a touch on Lance Henriksons Bishop) and worst of all it has no tension at all.

Both barrels, lol, sorry but i'm not really bothered by your opinion of this movie and i'm too old to get into point by point petty arguing over a sci-fi movie.

If you did not like it fair enough but that is just your opinion :P

Both barrels, lol, sorry but i'm not really bothered by your opinion of this movie and i'm too old to get into point by point petty arguing over a sci-fi movie.

If you did not like it fair enough but that is just your opinion :P

I'm not having, a go. I was referencing my previous post. If you like it then that's cool. I just felt let down that somebody I deemed as an intelligent film maker has produced a film that is not up there with his best. Peace.

I did warn you. Right. You're getting a double barrel blast of why Prometheus is bollocks. In no particular order:

SPOILERS

They are just some of the stupider points. Generally, the script is appalling, the characters uninteresting, it is badly acted (Fassbenders the best but not a touch on Lance Henriksons Bishop) and worst of all it has no tension at all.

You need to cover that post up with a spolier mate, if I hadn't seen the film, I'd be pretty pissed there's a chance I might accidentally read some snipper ruining it for me.

I'm not having, a go. I was referencing my previous post. If you like it then that's cool. I just felt let down that somebody I deemed as an intelligent film maker has produced a film that is not up there with his best. Peace.

Peace, i was not offended just a bit ammused :)

I thought Fassbender was very good in this by the way, he is obviously very good at being malevolent in a subtle fashion.

I got the feeling they studios diluted the story to make sequels which is a shame.

Oh my god........wasn't expecting this :cry:

holocaust%20day.jpg

Even having read the book (slightly better IMO), the endingh in the cinema was amazing... Everyone in a 3/4 full cinema just sat there in stony cold silence for about 3 mins into the credits. Powerful stuff!

220px-Larsvontrierantichristposter.jpg

Watched this. Shaken and bewildered would be my stand out feelings.

My feelings were: boredom, disappointment, shock (at how bad the film was), anger (at wasting 90mins of my life), happiness (at never having to watch said film again!).

I've been trying to go over Prometheus in my brain and try work out why there was a lack of tension, and I remember thinking to myself in the first opening scene the wonderful scenery bestowed to me my Sir Ridley, and it dawned on me that the music wasn't right. It didn't fit the bill. I've subsequently looked and James Horner's name doesn't appear on the credits. It's a fella called: Marc Streitenfeld.

So you say why does this matter?

Have a listen to the original Alien soundtrack, and its Sequel Aliens. Goldsmith is dead btw.

[media=]

I appreciate that this is not an Alien franchise movie, yet Horner's ability to produce tension is second to none! Music plays a tremendous amount in taking you away to the moment, regardless of what rubber costumed creatures appear. Take away the soundtrack and it becomes silly.

Now I haven't re listened to the Prometheus soundtrack since watching the film, but I think its worth a comparison to listen to the quality of Horner against this guy who incidentally has worked on several of Ridley's other films.

EDIT: Here's an example...it just doesn't hold weight for me.

Anyway, maybe a separate O.S.T. for films needs to be made :ph34r:

Edited by sphericalfox

<Anti-christ>

My feelings were: boredom, disappointment, shock (at how bad the film was), anger (at wasting 90mins of my life), happiness (at never having to watch said film again!).

Absolutely. An absolutely appalling film - and speaking of such, as I came back into the house from walking the mutts I catch the rest of the family gathered around watching The Flintstones. If there is a worse cartoon conversion/kids film I've not seen it. How did anyone get work afterwards?