Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Not so much movies but i have recently ordered the stargate sg1 boxed set that has all 10 seasons and the two t.v. movies plus the stargate atlantis boxed set.

I love sci-fi and fantasy stuff and these will sit nicely alongside my B5, DrWho, x-files, buffy and BSG boxed sets :)

Still hoping they make a few more movies set in the stargate franchise.

41Y35BGKRPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not a bad film, with Dickie being particularly menacing. But some of the characters are just so unbelievable (the girl and the journalists actions are particularly stupid!). 7/10.

215px-Tinker,_Tailor,_Soldier,_Spy_Poster.jpg

Alright, but either I'm a bit too slow and stupid to follow or it does get a bit too confusing. And in the end you don't really care who the mole is as you don't get to find out about any of the suspects! I'm thinking the BBC 7-part adaptation would have been better to watch to allow us to get to know the characters better?

Watched the Dictator yesterday with a couple of mates of mine and I have to say I've finally outgrown the Sacha Baron Cohen humour.

His movies (and Mike Myers' as well) are just funny as long as you're in a certain age bracket.

I really try to laugh about the movie, but I just can't any longer. It's too crude for me.

These days, all I notice is the lack of intelligent jokes, the absence of a proper story and the use of clichéd characters.

There are some decent jokes in the Dictator, but overall it's short both in running time and in substance.

• Like 1

Not so much movies but i have recently ordered the stargate sg1 boxed set that has all 10 seasons and the two t.v. movies plus the stargate atlantis boxed set.

I love sci-fi and fantasy stuff and these will sit nicely alongside my B5, DrWho, x-files, buffy and BSG boxed sets :)

Still hoping they make a few more movies set in the stargate franchise.

Stargate is a great franchise. Loved the Atlantis series even more than SG1 but the Universe series was poor and casts doubt on future work.

I thought Promethus was a turd of a movie.

Just for once it would be nice to see a sci fi flick where the crew behave like the crew of a spacecraft, rather than a bunch of moronic teenagers on a road trip. A crew that can follow orders without bitching with each other, who don't take risks a ten year old would avoid and who don't jump into situations that are sure to be a disaster. This film was dumb from start to finish.

• Like 2

A crew that was made up from poeple who never knew each other but was made up mostly of peeps only interested in the money.

The actual starship crew were about right i think, they only left the ship to collect the two left outside and basically knew that if they had to crash the starship into the engineers craft they were dead regardless of what they did.

The little capsule with two years supplies was designed for one person and it would be highly doubtful any rescue mission would be sent to reach them in time so they chose the fast easy way out.

The geologist and biologist left running around inside the starship , well the biologist was a bit dumb but poeple do dumb stuff in tense situations. The geologist wanted to run away but would not leave the biologist, tough luck there.

The original Nostromo crew worked with each other, knew each other and acted in an intelligent manner but they still died because they underestimated the threat and of course the science officer was an andriod and lied to them :)

Just pointing out my take on the crew, if you did not enjoy the movie then i cant argue with differing tastes, some will dislike, others will like :)

Edited by ithuriel
  • Like 1

Stargate is a great franchise. Loved the Atlantis series even more than SG1 but the Universe series was poor and casts doubt on future work.

When I first watched Stargate at the cinema, at the start when they're trying to decode the symbols, I was sat there thinking, "they're constellations. That's clearly Orion there..." whilst the onscreen team of super scientists take months to work it out (and, iirc, only because he saw it on the back on a newspaper someone else was reading :rolleyes: ).

When I first watched Stargate at the cinema, at the start when they're trying to decode the symbols, I was sat there thinking, "they're constellations. That's clearly Orion there..." whilst the onscreen team of super scientists take months to work it out (and, iirc, only because he saw it on the back on a newspaper someone else was reading :rolleyes: ).

The movie was o.k. at best but the series was actually very good, why it lasted ten years and spawned two t.v. movies plus five years of Atlantis which could have lasted much longer but for the decision to make Universe.

Universe tried to go the BSG route but they messed it up and at present stargate only exists in audio story form, much like DrWho did during the 90s.

I think they killed off a couple of main characters for good and some they brought back after they apparently died, one episode i really want to see is Ghost in the machine, season 5 of Atlantis, the final appearance of Dr Elizabeth Weir which i missed unfortunately.

The movie was o.k. at best but the series was actually very good, why it lasted ten years and spawned two t.v. movies plus five years of Atlantis which could have lasted much longer but for the decision to make Universe.

Universe tried to go the BSG route but they messed it up and at present stargate only exists in audio story form, much like DrWho did during the 90s.

I think they killed off a couple of main characters for good and some they brought back after they apparently died, one episode i really want to see is Ghost in the machine, season 5 of Atlantis, the final appearance of Dr Elizabeth Weir which i missed unfortunately.

All available online;

As a fan of science fiction movies, and having had most of the day to think about the experience that was Prometheus yesterday, I still think it is an example of a poorly executed sci-fi movie.

I could give a list as long as your arm of examples of sci-fi movies that are streets ahead of this tbh.

It took itself quite seriously in the early going, I fully expected the tension to build and discover answers to the many questions it posed along the way and yet by the end you could have been watching the ending to some sci-fi B movie crap it became so ludicrous. And this from someone who created back in 1979 one of the greatest pieces of work ever created in the world of sci-fi.

Give me a list of a few please. I fancy watching a good sci-fi film.

Saw the end of a program about Mary Shelley (Frankenstein) They said she was the first to use the Sci-Fi genre because it used the elements needed. Science and fiction Science that may be possible. When the book was first produced she published anormously. She had a lot of bad luck and thought she was cursed. A few of her children died at an early age and Percy Shelley her husband drowned.

Is Quantum of Solace any good?

It's not as bad as it's made out to be. It got made during the writers strike so it's a bit thin on the script (apparently Daniel Craig and Marc Forster had to cobble together some of the script themselves). It grows on you, not a great Bond film but better than alot of other action films.

Is Quantum of Solace any good?

Sh1t!!

All Bond films that are based on short stories or worse still based on books NOT written by Fleming are BOLL0CKS!! They have been turned into a franchise which just pumps out CGI based standardised wank.

Unless it has Roger Moore in a Safari suit.. its shit*

*may actually be intended as a joke

Saw Prometheus yesterday, I have mixed feelings about it really. It was stunning to look at and quite enjoyable in parts, but there were too many moments where I thought "that wouldn't happen" and "why the feck are you doing that". It was so bad in places it honestly felt like I was watching a B movie.

There is a giant wheel shaped ship rolling towards me. Do you a) keep running in a straight line in the path of it or b) job to the side and let the thing roll past.

There is an alien creature swimming about in goo on a foreign planet. Do you a) say "awww isn't she pretty" and shove your hand in its face or b) run a mile.

You need an emergency c-section, afters do you a) go for a lie down as the chances are you might not be fit for much b) run about and scrap with aliens.

Overall I still quite enjoyed it, but slight tweaks here or there and an ok movie could have been a great movie.

Edited by Babylon

Sh1t!!

All Bond films that are based on short stories or worse still based on books NOT written by Fleming are BOLL0CKS!! They have been turned into a franchise which just pumps out CGI based standardised wank.

Unless it has Roger Moore in a Safari suit.. its shit*

*may actually be intended as a joke

I've read a Quantum of Solace and the only similarity to the film is the title.

Watched the Incredible Hulk last night and thought it was a bit shit.

A crew that was made up from poeple who never knew each other but was made up mostly of peeps only interested in the money.

The actual starship crew were about right i think, they only left the ship to collect the two left outside and basically knew that if they had to crash the starship into the engineers craft they were dead regardless of what they did.

The little capsule with two years supplies was designed for one person and it would be highly doubtful any rescue mission would be sent to reach them in time so they chose the fast easy way out.

The geologist and biologist left running around inside the starship , well the biologist was a bit dumb but poeple do dumb stuff in tense situations. The geologist wanted to run away but would not leave the biologist, tough luck there.

The original Nostromo crew worked with each other, knew each other and acted in an intelligent manner but they still died because they underestimated the threat and of course the science officer was an andriod and lied to them :)

Just pointing out my take on the crew, if you did not enjoy the movie then i cant argue with differing tastes, some will dislike, others will like :)

All I can say is, your tolerance levels are a lot higher than mine :)

I love to know how much Ridley was involved in the plotting. Some of it was so breathtakingly daft, it had "studio execs" written all over it