Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

The original Alien, Ridley had a massive influence on and got the budget increased, had major influence on the monster etc.,

This time around he was the director but not the massive influence as in the first movie, i think after the mess that was Alien3 and Waterworld the studios will never let anyone have that kind of control again unfortunately.

The original Alien, Ridley had a massive influence on and got the budget increased, had major influence on the monster etc.,

This time around he was the director but not the massive influence as in the first movie, i think after the mess that was Alien3 and Waterworld the studios will never let anyone have that kind of control again unfortunately.

I wish sombody would reign in Baz Luhrman :D

"great gatsby" will be interesting, if he ever finishes editing it

Watched Tom Browne Schooldays yester. More of a TV film. Strange seeing Stephen Fry portraying a greatly religious character knowing his views on religion. Didn't theu make a spin-off of Flashman? A very nasty character I don't know how they could show him in a sympathetic way.

Just watched it , I recorded it the other night. Not quite as scary as I remember it, I must have last seen it nearly 30 years ago,The computers on the ship looked really dated even though it's set in the future.

Just watched it , I recorded it the other night. Not quite as scary as I remember it, I must have last seen it nearly 30 years ago,The computers on the ship looked really dated even though it's set in the future.

were they even digital? I think it's great to watch the old sci-fi programmes that are still in analogue times.

i think you don't know what you're talking about. Ridley commissioned Giger to deconstruct the Alien and the facehugger for Prometheus. Lindelof who co-wrote the script comes from 'Lost'. Ever see that show? It has lots of thematics and threads that go no where and make no sense. He is strictly at fault for the shiteness of this film and Ridley is culpable for directing it without questioning its shitty logic.

Saw Prometheus yesterday, I have mixed feelings about it really. It was stunning to look at and quite enjoyable in parts, but there were too many moments where I thought "that wouldn't happen" and "why the feck are you doing that". It was so bad in places it honestly felt like I was watching a B movie.

There is a giant wheel shaped ship rolling towards me. Do you a) keep running in a straight line in the path of it or b) job to the side and let the thing roll past.

There is an alien creature swimming about in goo on a foreign planet. Do you a) say "awww isn't she pretty" and shove your hand in its face or b) run a mile.

You need an emergency c-section, afters do you a) go for a lie down as the chances are you might not be fit for much b) run about and scrap with aliens.

Overall I still quite enjoyed it, but slight tweaks here or there and an ok movie could have been a great movie.

Here's a funny review of Prometheus (WARNING IT CONTAINS SPOILERS!)

It's not entirely accurate, but still funny.

Here's a blog discussing the thematically elements of the movie, in which for me were shoehorned badly around a weak plot.

Warning MORE spoilers

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

Edited by sphericalfox

i think you don't know what you're talking about. Ridley commissioned Giger to deconstruct the Alien and the facehugger for Prometheus. Lindelof who co-wrote the script comes from 'Lost'. Ever see that show? It has lots of thematics and threads that go no where and make no sense. He is strictly at fault for the shiteness of this film and Ridley is culpable for directing it without questioning its shitty logic.

I know exactly what i'm talking about but if it deviates from your opinion then obviously i do not :whistle: mr clever clogs :P

Never really watched Lost though, it just never appealed to me and i could not see what all the fuss was about but some poeple loved it and still do, to each their own :)

Edited by ithuriel

James-Cameron-poses-with--001.jpg

James-Cameron-poses-with--001.jpg

From his own pocket, not the studios coffers alone, if thats who i think it is, though i am tired after a hard days work :thumbup: and he is making another movie about the ocean depths out of his own pocket too but you continue trying to be clever :P .

Edited by ithuriel

He only financed the technology behind Avatar through his visual effects company Digital Domain and only recouped that money once Fox had turned a profit. 20th Century Fox the Studio that footed the $300 million to let him loose on Titanic.

He still put his own money into these projects though and has not been the pawn of the Studios for sometime now .

He is a very talented producer and director who does his own thing, Ridley is as talented a director but that seems to be as far as Ridley goes.

He still put his own money into these projects though and has not been the pawn of the Studios for sometime now .

He is a very talented producer and director who does his own thing, Ridley is as talented a director but that seems to be as far as Ridley goes.

Cameron only gets carte blanche because he makes money for the studios, as Scott did for a while after Gladiator.

After Fox accepted Avatar, one skeptical Fox executive shook his head and told Cameron and Landau, "I don't know if we're crazier for letting you do this, or if you're crazier for thinking you can do this ..."

Scott Free Productions?

Edited by 21st Century Fox

I know exactly what i'm talking about but if it deviates from your opinion then obviously i do not :whistle: mr clever clogs :P

Never really watched Lost though, it just never appealed to me and i could not see what all the fuss was about but some poeple loved it and still do, to each their own :)

You might know exactly what you're talking about, yet it's factual accuracy is less than correct. My opinion has nothing to do with the facts about the production, which as a fan of the Alien franchise, and in films in general. You liked Prometheus, which is your opinion, but lets not confuse facts with opinion.

You might know exactly what you're talking about, yet it's factual accuracy is less than correct. My opinion has nothing to do with the facts about the production, which as a fan of the Alien franchise, and in films in general. You liked Prometheus, which is your opinion, but lets not confuse facts with opinion.

Careful Spherical, disagreeing with him constitutes trolling according to the PM he sent me this morning lol

Give me a list of a few please. I fancy watching a good sci-fi film.

Alien

Aliens

The Thing

Terminator 1 & 2

Forbidden Planet

The Matrix

Blade Runner

Guilty pleasures for me are Predator, Robocop, Total Recall.

To continue this good list of decent sci-fi...

ET

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind

The Fly

Back to the Future

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Cube

Starship Troopers

Event Horizon

Galaxy Quest

Star Trek 2009

District 9

Inception

I'm sure there's more...!

I guess some people would put Avatar and Prometheus in this list but for me they are examples of how CGI is taking over the whole film experience with nothing more than eye candy to show for it.