Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Just been to see The Dark Knight Rises. I really don't get Nolan's vision of Batman and I don't understand why so many people love it. None of the Nolan Batman films are bad films, they're all very watchable, but the torrents of gushing praise and "best film since the last Batman" - no. His principle crime for me is in trying to make Batman believeable, in the sense of the gadgetry is pretty much looks as though it's the kind of thing that military might use (as opposed to having everything with overtones of "bat") and yet they can do ridiculous things (take the bike's sideways wheels for instance - I watched that and thought "stupid", not cool, as I should have been thinking.)

He also loses The Bat's dark side, the element of terror that is Batman's weapon. Bale doesn't portray a person tomented by inner demons (which is weird, sos if you've ever seen The Machinist he's clearly capable of doing that.) Is it also wrong that I emphasised more with Bane than I did Batman? I felt more sorry for him and what he had been through - though obviously not with what it drove him to do. The film also felt very preachy and pretentious, with a theme of "look at what you owe to rich people" tone and there were no moments of light relief, which in a film just under 3 hours, is a drain.

It's not that I don't like Nolan films - Inception has to be one of the greatest films of recent history - but I really hope that he leaves Batmn well alone. The Marvel films are far superior than DC films at the moment.

Just been to see The Dark Knight Rises. I really don't get Nolan's vision of Batman and I don't understand why so many people love it. None of the Nolan Batman films are bad films, they're all very watchable, but the torrents of gushing praise and "best film since the last Batman" - no. His principle crime for me is in trying to make Batman believeable, in the sense of the gadgetry is pretty much looks as though it's the kind of thing that military might use (as opposed to having everything with overtones of "bat") and yet they can do ridiculous things (take the bike's sideways wheels for instance - I watched that and thought "stupid", not cool, as I should have been thinking.)

He also loses The Bat's dark side, the element of terror that is Batman's weapon. Bale doesn't portray a person tomented by inner demons (which is weird, sos if you've ever seen The Machinist he's clearly capable of doing that.) Is it also wrong that I emphasised more with Bane than I did Batman? I felt more sorry for him and what he had been through - though obviously not with what it drove him to do. The film also felt very preachy and pretentious, with a theme of "look at what you owe to rich people" tone and there were no moments of light relief, which in a film just under 3 hours, is a drain.

It's not that I don't like Nolan films - Inception has to be one of the greatest films of recent history - but I really hope that he leaves Batmn well alone. The Marvel films are far superior than DC films at the moment.

You are not going to like the new Man of Steel film :ph34r::P

You are not going to like the new Man of Steel film :ph34r::P

He's merely producing that. :P

Having said that I don't like Superman, he's over powered... see below

For the record, The Avengers was stunning!

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

He's merelt producing that. :P

Having said that I don't like Superman, he's over powered... see below

For the record, The Avengers was stunning!

Yeah he's been mentoring Zack Snyder to make sure that Man of Steel is still in keeping with a world in which Nolan's Batman and Superman can coexist. Presumably for the Justice League film.

Personally I'm gagging to see Man of Steel, mainly due to the cast which is pretty amazing.

Yeah he's been mentoring Zack Snyder to make sure that Man of Steel is still in keeping with a world in which Nolan's Batman and Superman can coexist. Presumably for the Justice League film.

Personally I'm gagging to see Man of Steel, mainly due to the cast which is pretty amazing.

Hmmm, I think giving Nolan the reins to all the DC characters might be a mistake. The different Avenger films had different directors and worked just dandy.

Anythings got to be better than superman returns.

Such a cringe worthy film :-P

I've got to say I'm not seen keen on Nolan's version of Batman, I've find them very dull and dark now I haven't seen Dark Knight rises yet (might wait till its released on dvd) maybe that might change my mind, but the other two seemed just too dark for my liking. Bale is the biggest problem in the first movie it looks like he's enjoying himself and giving everything to the part, the second one he looks bored already, looking at the clips from the third one he doesn't look interested.

Batman was never supposed to be dark in the comics and tv Batman was like James Bond ,witty and all that. If they do revamp it again then they should take a lighter note maybe cast somebody young with a witty edge, might be a bit old but I think Russell Crowe would suit the role.

I've got to say I'm not seen keen on Nolan's version of Batman, I've find them very dull and dark now I haven't seen Dark Knight rises yet (might wait till its released on dvd) maybe that might change my mind, but the other two seemed just too dark for my liking. Bale is the biggest problem in the first movie it looks like he's enjoying himself and giving everything to the part, the second one he looks bored already, looking at the clips from the third one he doesn't look interested.

Batman was never supposed to be dark in the comics and tv Batman was like James Bond ,witty and all that. If they do revamp it again then they should take a lighter note maybe cast somebody young with a witty edge, might be a bit old but I think Russell Crowe would suit the role.

I haven't seen the latest one, but Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were my favourite Batman films. I couldn't disagree more about Batman not being dark - it's a story about a man who, as a child, watched both his parents murdered in front of his eyes. It's the camp 60s tv show and the terrible 90s films (after the Tim Burton ones) that deviated from the true spirit of the source material. The recent image change is actually a return to the character's roots. Batman was originally a dark, messed up character.

Geek knowledge. :cool:

A guy who watches his parents get gunned down in front of him as a kid and grows up wearing a costume! Not dark! :blink:

Russell Crowe lol young with a witty edge

I LOVE FOXESTALK!! lol

Edited by foxfanazer

You got me.

In principle I don't understand why someone would take a character that someone else created and change it. Having said THAT I think that the two modern portrayals of Sherlock Holmes (Cumberbatch and Downey Jr.) are probably the best, but there again I thing they capture the spirit of Holmes better than ever Rathbone or Brett did. That's just one I thought off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others, so I can't say I've got any hard and fast rule on this. Love the Burton Batmans though.

You got me.

In principle I don't understand why someone would take a character that someone else created and change it. Having said THAT I think that the two modern portrayals of Sherlock Holmes (Cumberbatch and Downey Jr.) are probably the best, but there again I thing they capture the spirit of Holmes better than ever Rathbone or Brett did. That's just one I thought off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others, so I can't say I've got any hard and fast rule on this. Love the Burton Batmans though.

Whenever I think of Sherlock Holmes I get Rathbone.

Cumberbatch and Downey Jr, who?

PFFFFT!

I don't like the modern batman films either. Loved the ones from the 90's.

Can you pinpoint the reasons why you loved the 90s ones? Batman Returns aside, I don't think I've ever heard anything positive about them before.

I was really impressed by Batman Begins, and I thought The Dark Knight was brilliant - even better than the first Tim Burton one. I haven't seen the latest one yet.

Can you pinpoint the reasons why you loved the 90s ones? Batman Returns aside, I don't think I've ever heard anything positive about them before.

I was really impressed by Batman Begins, and I thought The Dark Knight was brilliant - even better than the first Tim Burton one. I haven't seen the latest one yet.

Its been a while since i saw the old ones but wikipedia tells me the two in the 90's other than batman returns were the ones with the riddler and mr freeze. I think it has to do with the villains. Jim Carey and Arnold Schwarzenegger are much better at doing comedy villains.