Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

That's like calling Warhorse a western because there's horses and guns in it.

Seriously spooky stuff, just set the planner on that for 5.30 and you type the film up.

Clearly Bond is not sci fi. Having a few fancy gadgets in a film doesn't make it science fiction.

That's like calling Warhorse a western because there's horses and guns in it.

so cars and baddie islands and guns and whatever that don't exist. not fact. are not Science Fiction. Of course they are.

You could call Bond movies fantasy if you prefer.

so cars and baddie islands and guns and whatever that don't exist. not fact. are not Science Fiction. Of course they are.

You could call Bond movies fantasy if you prefer.

Guns exist. Islands exist. Nutcases exist.

It's not sci-fi. They're action/spy thrillers.

If you're suggesting it's farfetched, that's why they call it a film and not real life.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Like 2

Guns exist. Islands exist. Nutcases exist.

It's not sci-fi. They're action/spy thrillers.

If you're suggesting it's farfetched, that's why they call it a film and not real life.

What about all the fictional gadgets based on generally scientific explanations such as the laser watch, gun pen, jetpack, remote control car, invisible car...? Or Villains like Jaws, Oddjob & Scaramanga? To say Bond films owe nothing to fictitious science is rather naive. You don't have to be in space (see above post) to be sci-fi.

What about all the fictional gadgets based on generally scientific explanations such as the laser watch, gun pen, jetpack, remote control car, invisible car...? Or Villains like Jaws, Oddjob & Scaramanga? To say Bond films owe nothing to fictitious science is rather naive. You don't have to be in space (see above post) to be sci-fi.

They can be elements of Sci-Fi but nothing strong enough to even warrant labelling Bond films even close to that genre. Why not call Toy Story a Western because it has a cowboy in it (or Sci-Fi with Buzz). You'd have to really strip away MUCH stronger layers of other genres before you could classify them as Sci-Fi. Lots of films have kissing in but aren't considered Romances.

Just been and purchased Skyfall from HMV (going to miss that shop) and watch it tonight, didn't make it to the Cinema to see it so quite excited.

The HMV in Leicester isn't closing according to a sales assistant i spoke to at the weekend

The Impossible; The actually tsunami scene was good but the rest was a bit dull 6.5/10

Depends on your outlook, I swear I was nearly reaching for a hankie when he reunited the Scandinavian kid with his father!!

If you don't know the story, It was a good couple of hours. lol

Has anyone been to a cinema and there's been a round of applause at the ending? I remember my sister telling me when she went to see The Return Of The King there was full applause, also when i went to see Toy Story 3 in a packed cinema full applause broke out. I also can remember there was a big around of applause before Chamber Of Secrets began, once the title came up everybody decided to cheer and applaud.

Also another question when you were younger which film gave you nightmares for weeks?

Edited by Leicesterpool

Has anyone been to a cinema and there's been a round of applause at the ending? I remember my sister telling me when she went to see The Return Of The King there was full applause, also when i went to see Toy Story 3 in a packed cinema full applause broke out. I also can remember there was a big around of applause before Chamber Of Secrets began, once the title came up everybody decided to cheer and applaud.

Happens all the time over here. You'd think people would realise that the actors can in no way hear them. Unless they're clapping the guy who pressed play on the projector. :chant:

Those things are not the plot though. They are props, extras. And those characters you mention are not science fiction either, the're just fictional farfetched characters.

For it to be science fiction the plot must revolve around science and fiction.

Also another question when you were younger which film gave you nightmares for weeks?

Bloody Exorcist and Nightmare on Elm Street. Recently, Silent Hill also entered my dreams as well.

Edited by ChickenBoy

Those things are not the plot though. They are props, extras. And those characters you mention are not science fiction either, the're just fictional farfetched characters.

For it to be science fiction the plot must revolve around science and fiction.

All I'm saying is it's silly to say there's no sci-fi element to the JB universe.

As mentioned above, Moonraker certainly classes as a Sci-fi film (Space, lasers, creation of a perfect race). Imo so does You Only Live Twice (spacecraft eating spacecraft, Volcano lair) and The Man With The Golden Gun (whole thing's based around something called the "Solex Agitator").

I read somewhere that something like 8 of the Bond films can officially be classed as sci-fi, though I don't know all the films that well so I couldn't tell you what the others are.

Apart from that, almost every Bond film at least dips into science fiction somehow.

All I'm saying is it's silly to say there's no sci-fi element to the JB universe.

As mentioned above, Moonraker certainly classes as a Sci-fi film (Space, lasers, creation of a perfect race). Imo so does You Only Live Twice (spacecraft eating spacecraft, Volcano lair) and The Man With The Golden Gun (whole thing's based around something called the "Solex Agitator").

I read somewhere that something like 8 of the Bond films can officially be classed as sci-fi, though I don't know all the films that well so I couldn't tell you what the others are.

Apart from that, almost every Bond film at least dips into science fiction somehow.

I'm not saying there are no science fictions elements at all in them, but to class the series as 'Sci-Fi' is just silly.

Maybe a couple of them do have a science fiction plot as individual movies, but not the majority.

You think that's bad, last week some people on the same plane as me applauded when we landed. It was the shittest flight I've ever been on.

I remember someone with special needs applauding Mission Impossible 3. And I don't mean just at the end, I mean the whole way through.