Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Why is Daniel Day-Lewis so popular?

There Will Be Blood was one of the worst films I've ever seen.

It certainly isn't your regular Hollywood nonsense action flick. If you can't relate to the characters or dig in deeper into the era TWBB portrays, you can only be disappointed.

And the average cinemagoer just doesn't have the patience any more to watch greatness unfold over the course of 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Which brings me back to the plethora of Hollywood nonsense action flicks (and so-called "comedies") that have spoiled and destroyed the viewer's habits over the past 20+ years.

i-drink-your-milkshake.jpg

Edited by MC Prussian

It certainly isn't your regular Hollywood nonsense action flick. If you can't relate to the characters or dig in deeper into the era TWBB portrays, you can only be disappointed.

And the average cinemagoer just doesn't have the patience any more to watch greatness unfold over the course of 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Which brings me back to the plethora of Hollywood nonsense action flicks (and so-called "comedies") that have spoiled and destroyed the viewer's habits over the past 20+ years.

i-drink-your-milkshake.jpg

Sorry, but it was just boring. Boring and pretentious. And his performance wasn't even very good, all he did was chew. I'll give him that, the guy can chew like a pro, but he didn't fool me. There's a lot more to acting than that, surely? The thing is, I've seen slow films where he lead actor has convinced me to stick with it, but he doesn't do that for me. I mean I did finish watching There Will Be Blood, but only out of principle. .

I'm hardly the kind of person who likes new action flicks. I can't stand stuff like Stallone's recent movie and I hate films that are all about special effects. And I'm not into all these cheap comedies either. In fact most new films i see nowadays are disappointing, and I'm much more interested in seeing old ones that I haven't seen.

But there are films that are just boring. I think the old 'you don't have the patience for it' line is typical of someone trying to defend one of those films.

Watching a film is supposed to be entertainment after all.

Sorry, but it was just boring. Boring and pretentious. And his performance wasn't even very good, all he did was chew. I'll give him that, the guy can chew like a pro, but he didn't fool me. There's a lot more to acting than that, surely? The thing is, I've seen slow films where he lead actor has convinced me to stick with it, but he doesn't do that for me. I mean I did finish watching There Will Be Blood, but only out of principle. .

I'm hardly the kind of person who likes new action flicks. I can't stand stuff like Stallone's recent movie and I hate films that are all about special effects. And I'm not into all these cheap comedies either. In fact most new films i see nowadays are disappointing, and I'm much more interested in seeing old ones that I haven't seen.

But there are films that are just boring. I think the old 'you don't have the patience for it' line is typical of someone trying to defend one of those films.

Watching a film is supposed to be entertainment after all.

Well, the definition of "entertainment" is down to each specific viewer, isn't it?

I prefer a There Will Be Blood over any modern pretentious flick that tries too hard to be funny or dramatic, as well.

I felt totally engrossed by Daniel Day-Lewis' performance in TWBB and I still do. It is one of those movies that I can always go back to and still be mesmerized by its beauty.

There Will Be Blood is one of the best films of the last 10 years. Daniel Plainview is an amazing character, like a perfect storm of writing and acting. I can't even think what exactly could be construed as pretentious about the film. It's probably one of the best portrayals of obsession on film.

• Like 1

There Will Be Blood is one of the best films of the last 10 years. Daniel Plainview is an amazing character, like a perfect storm of writing and acting. I can't even think what exactly could be construed as pretentious about the film. It's probably one of the best portrayals of obsession on film.

Not to forget greed, ignorance, carelessness or fanaticism for that matter.

I would've added cold-heartedness, too. But Plainview does show glimpses of affection occasionally.

It's just amazing how much of those nuances you can find in Day-Lewis' acting. Terrific guy, deservedly won his third Oscar last night.

There Will Be Blood is fantastic, as is Gangs of New York (Leo's accent aside.)

Love DDL, really entertaining character actor.

I. Drink. Your. MILKSHAKE! I drink it up!

Gangs of New York was average at best. The only thing that was good about it was DDL, who was awesome.

TWBB was amazing though.

Edited by FoxyPV

I guess there are scenes that could be interpreted as wasteful or 'pretentious' if you haven't bought into the character, take it at face value and follow the convention of having motivations and emotions handed to you as scripted dialogue.

As a PTA aside, Punch Drunk Love is also a brilliant film. Either PTA is a genius at eliciting performances from actors or Adam Sandler's a genuinely good actor.

Gangs of New York was average at best. The only thing that was good about it was DDL, who was awesome.

Agreed apart from your comment about DDL, I thought he was the worse thing in it, loud and hammy. Not seen TWBB so I can't comment.

• Like 1