Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Donnie_Darko_poster.jpg

Watched Donnie Darko last night, still trying to get my head around the plot. I feel like it's obvious, but for some reason can't seem to grasp it. Has anyone seen it?

I thought about it for days the first time I watched it. After doing a lot of reading about it I've come to the conclusion that you can't fully understand it, there is an explanation but there are some things which still don't quite make sense or become fully clear. I really enjoyed it all the same though.

I think basically it is about the fate of Donnie, he was supposed to be killed by that engine and it is impossible for him to avoid it. He is given the extra month, or a vision of it at least (by God or something) so that he can 1) enjoy himself for once and live with purpose and 2) so he can see why he must die. He can constantly choose to avoid dying in his room, but because of the wormhole he will always end up back in his room needing to make that choice again, so eventually he will have to choose to die.

If he does not choose to die his girlfriend, mother, sister and his other sister's boyfriend will die instead, because of the chain of events that stemmed from him surviving. On the other hand, I seem to remember he does a few good things, like exposing that paedo, but I suppose that just wasn't meant to be or whatever.

So, in the end he's happy to die because he has filled the end of his troubled life with joy and purpose, and has realised that he has to die for the good of everyone else. I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cOjbiuxYUQ

Yeh yeh yeh, it's Disney and you're all too grown up and macho for it. But this is a great film, I think it's the first I ever saw at the cinema and a couple of scenes, including this one, stick in my mind from it.

I think this is one of the best openings to a film ever, I still remember how excited I was the first time I saw it and it's similarly powerful now. That French gypo has one great voice.

There must be some other Disney lovers here? Edited by Kitchandro

Watched The Impossible last night, about a family caught in the 2004 tsunami. Some very moving scenes and I say that as a guy not easily moved by movies. Mrs Moose was balling her eyes out, the silly little slapper. Embarrassing. There's a few criticisms of this movie going around saying that it's too focussed on this one lucky family of foreigners. It is very focussed on them, and you don't get much of a feel for the scale of death and destruction that occurred, but I think the focus was necessary to achieve that kind of depth of emotional involvement with the characters. Good movie, 8.05/10.

The hunger games

What a complete load of poo.

Unfortunately the latest in unoriginal crap books being made into not-much-better films and being a success thanks to their teenage fanbase that haven't seen the original work from which the stuff was blatantly plagiarised.

Watch Coriolanus last night on BBC, not a bad adaptation and good acting/directing by Ralph Fiennes but ultimately a very long film and not particularly interesting! Found the old english speak a bit annoying at times, didn't really fit with the setting of the film but nonetheless 2/5, good cast aswell.