Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Oh great now the whole pussy posse is out. Can't you all bog off to faggyforeignfilmfanatics.org or something

What was that? More Andy Lau?

Sure thing.

fulltime-killer.jpg

Phwooaoaarr.

And this one really is ten a penny... 

HeroicDuo.jpg

Ooh yeah!

How about some of this bad boy?

sellsheet_front_474fb49c-4875-4c95-b181-

(Honestly two of the worst films I own lol )

Funny you should say that, I did actually watch that again the other day. But does Haneke count as ten-a-penny?  lol

Arno Frisch is absolutely superb but other than that the film's a little bit rubbish. Haneke himself acknowledges it has no plot and that that was deliberate to make a point about violence in cinema.

Which is interesting, given that nearly all of the violence in Funny Games is implied. 

Arno Frisch is absolutely superb but other than that the film's a little bit rubbish. Haneke himself acknowledges it has no plot and that that was deliberate to make a point about violence in cinema.

Which is interesting, given that nearly all of the violence in Funny Games is implied. 

I watch Funny Games for Ulrich Mühe, amazing actor sadly taken too soon. If we're talking Haneke, I much prefer The Piano Teacher.

Finn and 21st might like a dutch film called 'flinky flonky floo'.

Its about a dutch clog maker in the 19th century, following his day to day life of making clogs, talking about clogs and selling clogs. 

It sounds overly dramatic but its really about the emotional strain of dedicating your life to clogs.

Is that the one directed by Hubrecht Rotmensen Vos Groot?

As I really loved the first reboot (well, divergent universe) film I was looking forward to the new Star Trek movie, but I don't think it was all that good. I love Benedict Comberbatch in pretty much everything he's been in, but here he was a bit flat.

Given the role he's got, he's got a lot to live up to and I don't think he pulled it off. There were a couple of bits also where I thought, "couldn't they do <insert action>, which would be much easier and resolve the problem immediately", but maybe I wasn't paying attention. Also surely a spaceship falling into atmosphere out of control would burn up at least partially?

Lastly, rather than giving a couple of knowing nods towards Wrath of Khan, it was more like they put up a big flashing sign that says "SEE WHAT WE DID THERE!?!?!?" They might as well have Karl Urban sat next to you nudging you in the ribs, going, "eh?! eh?! eh?!"

I suppose the twist was interesting, but once it was out it made the film a little predictable.

And the end was cheesy.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

Side Effects. Watched the dubbed in Spanish version with English subtitles so that I could fit in. It sounded like my kind of movie but was a bit dull to be honest. Took me ages to watch it as I kept getting distracted and that's always a bad sign. 6.4/10.

You should've watched the original Kosovan version, sooooooo much better.

The Place Beyond The Pines. Good first third, good last third. Not so good middle third. Mainly due to a Gosling man crush. Took me the 2nd third to get over what happened in the 1st third.

Really great low-key cool vibe throughout the film. A bit like Drive but don't expect too much Drive because it's not Drive 2 as much as you might want it to be. It's not Blue Valentine 2 either if that was your thing. Overall 8.0/10

Edited by MooseBreath

Watched Carandiru last night - anyone seeen it? It's based on a true story about the ordered slaughter of inmates in a Brazilian prison.

Thought it was a really powerful film - nicely directed.  Would highly recommend.

As I really loved the first reboot (well, divergent universe) film I was looking forward to the new Star Trek movie, but I don't think it was all that good. I love Benedict Comberbatch in pretty much everything he's been in, but here he was a bit flat.

I suppose the twist was interesting, but once it was out it made the film a little predictable.

And the end was cheesy.

I've just watched this myself. I would say it was a good film but not the amazing film I had hoped it would be having watched all the teaser trailers over the past few months. In terms of all out action, it's the best Star Trek film there is, but Star Trek is more, well was, more than that. I thought Benedict was great but underused in that he could have been far more menacing than he was made out to be - he was decent in all the scenes involving himself but then I was always expecting more and he could have delivered imo but didn't get the chance because it was a non stop roller coaster of an action ride from start to finish with little left for "trek".

Perfect example of this is in the starting sequence, a great sequence, but imo they could have extended it by giving more of a backstory to it, something that old Trek would have done no problem. The Klingons later on in the film are underused as well. It was such a fast paced movie crammed full of action and at over two hours, if they'd extended it by another 20 minutes, slowing it down a little and adding more of a backstory, I don't think it would have been any worse for it. The time flew by as it was.

And the scene invoking Kirk and Spock towards the end, spoilers not included, felt a little off to me. It didnt sit right and felt awkward.

Still, a good movie overall but I'd like a little more "trek" in the next one.

8/10

I saw The Great Gatsby last night and quite enjoyed it. I can definitely see why some people are coming away disliking it and I can't quite put my finger on why I enjoyed it. I thought I'd hate the use of anachronistic music, I didn't think I'd like the 3D, some of the actors are horribly mis-casted and it's not even a particularly good adaptation of the book but there's something about it.