Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Went to see the new Great Gatsby yesterday. Me and the gf were really unimpressed, Luhrmann has taken most of the excitement out of the book. It's a sometimes desperate attempt at recreating the Roaring Twenties on screen, but it just doesn't feel right.

There's too much CGI (how much CGI-enhanced driving do we need to see?), too little space for true acting, most characters remain shallow and uninteresting (but then again, maybe that fits the era) and I find the usage of a voice-over narrator a somewhat cheap option. Besides, Callaway doesn't make for a good protagonist, it's Gatsby we should be interested in.

And the dialogue's just plain poor. I could strangle the scriptwriter who decided it was a good idea to let DiCaprio go for "old sport" in almost every single sentence.

Also, the choice of contemporary beats and a modern soundtrack does detract from the story, as well.

I'm still a big fan of the book and an even bigger fan of Redford's performance in the 1974 version.

Edited by MC Prussian

Went to see the new Great Gatsby yesterday. Me and the gf were really unimpressed, Luhrmann has taken most of the excitement out of the book. It's a sometimes desperate attempt at recreating the Roaring Twenties on screen, but it just doesn't feel right.

There's too much CGI (how much CGI-enhanced driving do we need to see?), too little space for true acting, most characters remain shallow and uninteresting (but then again, maybe that fits the era) and I find the usage of a voice-over narrator a somewhat cheap option. Besides, Callaway doesn't make for a good protagonist, it's Gatsby we should be interested in.

And the dialogue's just plain poor. I could strangle the scriptwriter who decided it was a good idea to let DiCaprio go for "old sport" in almost every single sentence.

Also, the choice of contemporary beats and a modern soundtrack does detract from the story, as well.

I'm still a big fan of the book and an even bigger fan of Redford's performance in the 1974 version.

I saw his constant use of 'old sport' as like a nervous tick to over-compensate for his lack of breeding. As it's the first thing that Dan Cody says to him, he acquires it as a trait of an educated, well breed man. He says it more the more unwound his Gatsby persona gets, he says it about 30 times in a minute in one of his later conversations with Carraway.

The voice-overs were terrible, but I guess they had to cram so much story in they didn't have much choice, but just the way Toby Maguire performed them was shit.

I enjoyed it but I guess you have to take it for what it is, a totally un-subtle Baz Luhrmann adaptation which is a bit like watching a pretty gay theatre production whilst being slapped in the face and having any subtleties explained to you. It's going to date horribly because of the soundtrack and the CGI.

As an aside I though Amitabh Bachhan was pretty cool as Meyer Wolfsheim, I wanted to see more of him.

The way Toby Maguire performs everything is shit. He makes Kevin Costner look like Peter O'Toole.

Have you seen The Good German? His performance in that, is probably one of the funniest pieces of miscasting I've ever seen, he's terrible. He's supposed to be a foul-mouthed, macho American G.I. but he's hilariously shit.

I saw his constant use of 'old sport' as like a nervous tick to over-compensate for his lack of breeding. As it's the first thing that Dan Cody says to him, he acquires it as a trait of an educated, well breed man. He says it more the more unwound his Gatsby persona gets, he says it about 30 times in a minute in one of his later conversations with Carraway.

The voice-overs were terrible, but I guess they had to cram so much story in they didn't have much choice, but just the way Toby Maguire performed them was shit.

I enjoyed it but I guess you have to take it for what it is, a totally un-subtle Baz Luhrmann adaptation which is a bit like watching a pretty gay theatre production whilst being slapped in the face and having any subtleties explained to you. It's going to date horribly because of the soundtrack and the CGI.

As an aside I though Amitabh Bachhan was pretty cool as Meyer Wolfsheim, I wanted to see more of him.

I wanted to see more of Elizabeth Debicki - she's outstanding as the female pro golfer, but gets little to no screen time towards the end of the movie.

tumblr_mlxb0vrU7P1rf29u9o1_500.jpg

Also, she looks really hot in her outfit. Perfect face for the picture, probably the only good casting choice in the new Gatsby.

Can't believe she's only 22. I bet she just made herself five years younger. And boy is she tall.

Have you seen The Good German? His performance in that, is probably one of the funniest pieces of miscasting I've ever seen, he's terrible. He's supposed to be a foul-mouthed, macho American G.I. but he's hilariously shit.

lol lol !! Spectacular.

As for Cool Runnings, my flatmate and my favourite film. To the point of enforced education of both of our girlfriends and exes. You can't see a girl that doesn't know.

lol lol !! Spectacular.

As for Cool Runnings, my flatmate and my favourite film. To the point of enforced education of both of our girlfriends and exes. You can't see a girl that doesn't know.

I remember watching it at school in year 5 (god knows), I didn't even know what a bobsled was! All I knew was I wanted to be a bobsled racer so me and my mates spent that summer practicing our push starts on skateboards going down my street. We had to adapt and become skeleton bobsledders though.

That is until it snowed and we could link the string on our plastic sleds together (practically cutting us in half) to make a full bobsled! My mates sled has brakes too so he was shoved at the back.

Fvck me my childhood was quality, give me that over my 15yo brother sitting on his Xbox, chatting into a headset all day and night.

DNO HMP Film Review of The Kingdom

From DNO HMP Leicester

Film review of The Kingdom DVD:

The story is based on terrorism in the Middle East. It stars Jamie Foxx as the main character. It starts off with American civilians playing baseball when there is a terrorist attack.

A lot of men and women are killed and Jamie Foxx and his crew are sent over to the Middle East to investigatethe suicide bombers and the terrorism that is going on. This is quite gruesome at times and true to life.

The film starts off slow after the first explosion but soon picks up with gun fights and explosions. The determination of the group will stop at nothing to find  the culprits.

Altogether a good action film.

3.5 /5

The Kindom is approximately 1 hour 40 minutes long

DNO HMP Film Review of The Kingdom

From DNO HMP Leicester

Film review of The Kingdom DVD:

The story is based on terrorism in the Middle East. It stars Jamie Foxx as the main character. It starts off with American civilians playing baseball when there is a terrorist attack.

A lot of men and women are killed and Jamie Foxx and his crew are sent over to the Middle East to investigatethe suicide bombers and the terrorism that is going on. This is quite gruesome at times and true to life.

The film starts off slow after the first explosion but soon picks up with gun fights and explosions. The determination of the group will stop at nothing to find  the culprits.

Altogether a good action film.

3.5 /5

The Kindom is approximately 1 hour 40 minutes long

That film is years old and not very good either.

yes,not bad

It was OK. Good soundtrack and funny moments.  Prison break and being run over by a bad female driver to name two.

I was wondering how it was going to end because the characters were likable enough not to want them killed off so I was expecting a sort of twist ending.