Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Bought There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men from Thats Entertainment in town today for a fiver. Not seen either of them and theyre highly rated so looking forward to them.

Watched Argo for the first time on DVD, really enjoyed it, would reccomend it to anyone.

Yes I did too, very enjoyable.

Argo fvck yourself lol

I bet you havent seen Cyrus

It's not a typical comedy, and not him doing his normal thing.

Looks quite good and extra bonus that Marisa Tomei is in it...I still hate Jonah Hill though. lol

Just something about him I really can't stand. 

Just watched Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman.

It's ok but massively overrated. For a Western there just isn't enough action and the plot isn't good enough to win Oscars. There was a few loose ends as well, it seemed a bit rushed and there were too many characters. I thought the best thing about it was it's comedy, I laughed a good few times, some of the jokes are pretty self-aware.

I think it's worth watching for that and the actors in it.

Just watched Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman.

It's ok but massively overrated. For a Western there just isn't enough action and the plot isn't good enough to win Oscars. There was a few loose ends as well, it seemed a bit rushed and there were too many characters. I thought the best thing about it was it's comedy, I laughed a good few times, some of the jokes are pretty self-aware.

I think it's worth watching for that and the actors in it.

The plot is a Western staple, it's not supposed to be an epic of twists and turns. 

To be honest, the same could be said of the amount of action. I'd say, actually, the fact it is a Western explains exactly why it's slow in places. Having been raised on them, most films in the genre tend to be slow paced for large stretches with a lot of conversation, a lot of pondering, a lot of thoughtful older characters sharing wisdom or even long silences. The Spaghetti Westerns were predominantly all about Eastwood being a brooding, quiet enforcer who ended fights in as few shots as possible.

You get a bit more bang for your buck in the Duke's work but even then you get a lot of down time.

Great film and one that, certainly to my ears, doesn't seem to get largely praised at every turn? Every time there's a "greatest movie of all time" debate, people take the opportunity to rim Shawshank, Godfather, One Flew, Schindler's List, Dark Knight, etc. I very rarely hear people bring up Unforgiven. It's usually there or there abouts in the top half of most magazine's top hundred and I'd say that's about fair. Don't think that makes a film hugely overrated but then that's just me.

The plot is a Western staple, it's not supposed to be an epic of twists and turns. 

To be honest, the same could be said of the amount of action. I'd say, actually, the fact it is a Western explains exactly why it's slow in places. Having been raised on them, most films in the genre tend to be slow paced for large stretches with a lot of conversation, a lot of pondering, a lot of thoughtful older characters sharing wisdom or even long silences. The Spaghetti Westerns were predominantly all about Eastwood being a brooding, quiet enforcer who ended fights in as few shots as possible.

You get a bit more bang for your buck in the Duke's work but even then you get a lot of down time.

Great film and one that, certainly to my ears, doesn't seem to get largely praised at every turn? Every time there's a "greatest movie of all time" debate, people take the opportunity to rim Shawshank, Godfather, One Flew, Schindler's List, Dark Knight, etc. I very rarely hear people bring up Unforgiven. It's usually there or there abouts in the top half of most magazine's top hundred and I'd say that's about fair. Don't think that makes a film hugely overrated but then that's just me.

The reason people don't rate it, is the simple fact that they don't understand the western genre. Eastwood paid homage to all the films before him, including the characters he so identifiably played, only this time he has a name. It's not meant to be an western actioner, the whole point is that this is the aftermath, the characters who have lived a life of western actioners. They are the grizzled people of a life of murder, death, and hardship. Now facing a late decision to turn his back on a life of dishing out death, he (Eastwood) is forced to.

In film circles Unforgiven is up there, and comes up as simply the western movie. In general people don't understand it or rate it, and are likely to see it as dull and dreary.

I for one, might go back to rewatch this classic when I get the time. It's worthy of the awards it received.

watching Carry on Doctor. Glad hospitals are not like that.

Good exchange and his missus( the one from Till Death.)

Wife It's hard to make ends meet with the money you get from the dole, hardly got enough for bingo, only managed it three times this week.'

Times have not changed.