Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Req 4 drm is phooking excellent. Likewise Pi and Black Swan. The Fighter is pretty good too. Not so keen on The Fountain. Aranofski has a new film out next year called Noah but it sounds a bit fountain-esque. Which he'd do more of the trippy druggy stuff.

I rather liked The Fountain, though you did have to watch it more than once. Liked the way the multiple storylines intersected. Black Swan is excellent - shame it's only remembered amongst many for Mila Kunis simulating close oral attention on Natalie Portman because it's damn good in it's own right. 

Will be interesting to see how Noah turns out.

Couple of DVDs I've seen recently;

The Hangover 3, Starts well but goes off the boil a bit, on a par with Hangover 2 7/10

Oz the Great and powerful,Probably would have been more impressive if I'd seen it in 3D. James Franco's acting is the worse I've ever seen from him. 6/10

I recorded The Runaway Jury off TV a few weeks ago knowing that I had the book to read. I read the book on holiday and just watched the film half hour ago.The film in comparison to the book was dreadful but I don't know if I'd have thought that had I not read the book( I think I probably would, it's not great ). Has there ever been a film that was better than the book?

I recorded The Runaway Jury off TV a few weeks ago knowing that I had the book to read. I read the book on holiday and just watched the film half hour ago.The film in comparison to the book was dreadful but I don't know if I'd have thought that had I not read the book( I think I probably would, it's not great ). Has there ever been a film that was better than the book?

Contact.

Book was horribly dry, even though it was one of my favourite authors (Carl Sagan) writing it. Film compressed it down and made it far better.

Films are generally better than books IMO. I find books very boring and slow in general. They have to set the scene in so much detail because you can't see it and most of what you read is just pointless information. I want to be emersed in the action and I can't do that with a book. And if you watch a shit film at least you've only wasted a couple of hours rather than about 6 over several weeks.

Edited by Kitchandro

Just re-watched Dead Man's Shoes - hadn't seen it for about 5 years and forgotten what a great but visceral and emotional film it is.

I love the fact that it gets you to question yourself - I'd imagine most people think they'd kill/ harm someone who abused a member of your family but when the character of Richard calls himself a monster it makes you wonder what there is to be gained.

Paddy Considine is a stunningly good actor BTW.

Hands down Misery.

Edit: though for me The Shining, as an 'adaptation' is the best

Edited by sphericalfox

Like i said in another thread, just got back seeing Monsters University. Yeah a kids film i know, but i did like the first one, going into this one i was kinda not expecting much from it. Instead i really enjoyed and at times you forgot this was a prequel! the characters really we're different in this. Plus the plot is something different, once again Pixar bring out a good en. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

I have a hypothetical poser for Leicesterpool.......

You're a Hollywood producer, a script lands on your desk (annoyingly it's landed on top of a magazine article about Jennie Bond that you were "reading"). You pick up the script, your heart starts pounding, it's that script you've been waiting for, this could be your magnum opus, a guaranteed Oscar. The title jumps off the page, To Me... To You: The Paul & Barry Chuckle Story.

Paul and Barry, who do you cast as the comedian's extraordinaire?

Edited by 21st Century Fox
  • Like 1

Probably my favourite film.

Had no idea that it was Will Wheaton playing the main kid. Knew I recognized him from somewhere.

Shame the other kids didn't really go on to become stars, you'd have thought after that they could do whatever they wanted.

I have a hypothetical poser for Leicesterpool.......

You're a Hollywood producer, a script lands on your desk (annoyingly it's landed on top of a magazine article about Jennie Bond that you were "reading"). You pick up the script, your heart starts pounding, it's that script you've been waiting for, this could be your magnum opus, a guaranteed Oscar. The title jumps off the page, To Me... To You: The Paul & Barry Chuckle Story.

Paul and Barry, who do you cast as the comedian's extraordinaire?

See somebody is having a bad night

Had no idea that it was Will Wheaton playing the main kid. Knew I recognized him from somewhere.

Shame the other kids didn't really go on to become stars, you'd have thought after that they could do whatever they wanted.

Seriously? All of them went on to some sort of fame or infamy.

River Phoenix ?

jerry O'Connell even dated Geri Halliwell for a while

Edited by rico