Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Looks decent and stars Jon Snow from Game of Thrones.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1921064/?ref_=sr_2

I saw the trailer for that the other day and thought "Nice! A Pompeii film!". Then I actually watched the trailer and saw it was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson and it looks teeeeeeeerrible. It's just going to be a shittier version of Titanic but with a volcano instead of a ship. If the two lovers in it don't end up getting petrified in volcanic ash and lava whilst kissing or holding hands I'll eat my own ball sack.

• Like 1

I saw the trailer for that the other day and thought "Nice! A Pompeii film!". Then I actually watched the trailer and saw it was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson and it looks teeeeeeeerrible. It's just going to be a shittier version of Titanic but with a volcano instead of a ship. If the two lovers in it don't end up getting petrified in volcanic ash and lava whilst kissing or holding hands I'll eat my own ball sack.

A bit extreme? lol

I was rather hoping it was going to be Frankie Howerd  getting up to lots of titillation with scantily clad girls and

saying "ohhhh nooo " a lot .

i shan't bother now.

• Like 1

The Iceman ,very good film ,true story about Richard Kuklinski ,a contract killer who is supposed to have killed over 100 people

After reading the book the film was always going to dissapoint, it was good enough but  I recommend the book instead.

Edited by purpleronnie

Saw Grown Ups 2 the other day, was probably the worst film I've ever paid to see. Don't see how anyone can think American comedy is better than British comedy, it's so poor.

Depends on the style. Agree that when it's done wrong (which is a lot of the time) American-style slapstick is cringeworthingly awful. But when it's done well I love it - Airplane and The Naked Gun for instance, two of the silliest films I have ever seen but they had me in stitches. British comedy tends to be more subtle and cynical, but recently there seems to be a trend for either "cringe" comedy (Inbetweeners) or sarcastic humour so subtle the message is lost most of the time (The Office). Of course people might disagree with me on that because they're into that kind of thing, but I find it totally unfunny and just plain stupid at times. The older stuff (Blackadder, Red Dwarf etc) was much better.

Anyhow, exposition over.

Nothing subtle about the UK version of the office imo. Just because there was no canned laughter telling you when to laugh, doesn't mean it was subtle. There is obvious comedy in pretty much every line Brent speaks in the whole show. Pure genius that show. Never seen any American comedy that even comes close. Most of it is so predictable that it loses all meaning.

Edited by MooseBreath

Nothing subtle about the UK version of the office imo. Just because there was no canned laughter telling you when to laugh, doesn't mean it was subtle. There is obvious comedy in pretty much every line Brent speaks in the whole show. Pure genius that show. Never seen any American comedy that even comes close. Most of it is so predictable that it loses all meaning.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one then. I know a boatload of people love The Office, but I just didn't enjoy the style of humour, subtle or not. Mind you, I'm not big on most of Gervais's stuff - Extras was only any good when there was a good guest star in.

Edit: From what I've seen though he's a bloody good stand-up.

Edited by leicsmac

I suppose you have to work in an office environment to understand it fully. I found parts of it funny but it didn't jump out of the screen and hit me.

I do like his Tweets though.

I agree, Ken. I had to go back in time to really get Black Adder, and I could not understand Only Fools and Horses until I bought a plastic pig and a filofax..

Edited by I am Rod Hull
  • Like 2

I didn't mind Extras. Never saw them all but there was the odd one. Never saw all the Office episodes so you may have to see them all. It just seemed to be Ricky standing in a doorway talking about something that might happen.

I follow him on Twitter though he comes out with some good one liners to hate tweets.

Thought this was celebrities I dont get thread. I was just following on from previous posts. :)

Edited by Rincewind

I agree, Ken. I had to go back in time to really get Black Adder, and I could not understand Only Fools and Horses until I bought a plastic pig and a filofax..

:D

I just didn't get Dad's Army at all .

I suppose if we're in imminent danger of being invaded by Nazis again I might see the funny side of it all. 

My missus really likes "Some mother's do have em" , not sure why though .

• Like 1

I didn't mind Extras. Never saw them all but there was the odd one. Never saw all the Office episodes so you may have to see them all. It just seemed to be Ricky standing in a doorway talking about something that might happen.

I follow him on Twitter though he comes out with some good one liners to hate tweets.

Thought this was celebrities I dont get thread. I was just following on from previous posts. :)

Nope! lol