Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

I thought Prisoners was a tragic waste of some good performances and a good atmospheric setting.

They did really well with set design, costume, score, cinematography, everything. It looked and felt great and the leads were strong. Even Jackman, to be fair.

But dear God was the story a mess. A jumbled and disorganized muddle of a few good ideas trying far too hard to be clever. A solid 7 out of 10 but could have been much more.

• Like 1

Recently watched Battle Los Angles which isn't as bad as its made out and quite good in the first half, when all seems lost, the air of desperation is palpable, but when the tide turns it just seems to easy. From suddenly being whacked at every turn, suddenly the marines are invincible (they're not, but they might as well be)

Also watched the Adjustment Bureau - nicely shot, but stupid and with no chemistry between the two central character (who are supposed to be unstoppably destined for each other) it's hard to care.

Man of Steel. I had hope. Perhaps shaped like the letter 'S'. These were dashed by what was the most seemingly rushed onscreen relationship ever, plot holes galore, and seriously is a pulitzer prize somehow a world-wide access anywhere pass? Ridiculous considering Goyer and Nolan were involved in its inception.

Also saw This is the End - amusingly stupid, but far superior to The World's End.

The Conjuring - Simply a homage to every haunted house/exorcist film of the 70's/80's. Not badly directed, and good use of sound. Not in the least bit scary, shocking, or as good as it was reviewed as.

Edited by sphericalfox

Just got back from watching Captain_Phillips_Poster.jpg

I've got to say this probably the movie of the year! It was intense, acted and directed well. Even though probably only 50% of the movie is true, it's still a really good emotional film. Tom Hanks will win an oscar for this performance, i'm going to go far in saying probably his best performance. I highly recommend to go and see this, it is on a good two hours and i've got to admit there's probably at least ten minute footage they could have easily cut, this towards the end you may know what i mean once you see it. It just drags on for ever. I'd be very surprised if anyone finds this boring something seem to happen every five minutes plus some of the dialogue is really great to listen to. One thing i can say the film is rated at 12a but i wouldn't recommend taking kids under the age of 9. There is a part of the movie near  the end quite a large portion which i think would be unsuitable for kids, at some points i think the rating should have been a 15.  

Go and see you won't regret it

Also don't expert it to be like Air Force One or Under Siege.

Edited by Leicesterpool

Watched Mad Max. Thought it was vastly over-rated.

It was a film of it's time. It dated very quickly but at the time it was Mel Gibson action and very enjoyable.

A lot of films date badly.

It was a film of it's time. It dated very quickly but at the time it was Mel Gibson action and very enjoyable.

A lot of films date badly.

It wasn't graphics or action that disappointed me, it was actually the storyline.