Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Anyone seen this Gravity film yet? Decent reviews coming in.

I haven't seen it to be honest it doesn't appeal to me, maybe its because i'm not keen on Sandra Bullock or George Clooney. But anyway few my friends seen it recently and they described it as "disappointing" also "the movie was incredible short" other things they said the special effects were top notch but the story and script wasn't. 

Has anyone watched CLOUD ATLAS? Gonna give it a watch soon.

Hard to convert such a complex story into one single movie - the filmmakers failed, not just because Tom Hanks and Halle Berry can't act for sh*t and are simply not believable enough.

The different storylines just don't add up. It feels like a blend of everything, not like a coherent film.

I haven't seen it to be honest it doesn't appeal to me, maybe its because i'm not keen on Sandra Bullock or George Clooney. But anyway few my friends seen it recently and they described it as "disappointing" also "the movie was incredible short" other things they said the special effects were top notch but the story and script wasn't. 

Sounds like most films nowadays.

I haven't seen it to be honest it doesn't appeal to me, maybe its because i'm not keen on Sandra Bullock or George Clooney. But anyway few my friends seen it recently and they described it as "disappointing" also "the movie was incredible short" other things they said the special effects were top notch but the story and script wasn't

I'm not sure which bit is believable.  :ph34r:

Saw Captain Phillips last night.

Good performance from Hanks as usual and the film itself was ok. The first half hour-45 minutes were good but then it dragged out far too much without any scope for twists or turns, making it all a bit predictable from some way out. It seemed very similar to a lot of films I've seen before as well.

6.5/10.

You do realise it's a true story so the director hardly has scope to introduce "twists or turns". As for dragging it out, it's 2 hours 10 and fairly important to tell the whole story.

Watched Gravity 3D yesterday and was suitable impressed. Very good use of 3D effects that were effective and not just token use like some films.

You do realise it's a true story so the director hardly has scope to introduce "twists or turns". As for dragging it out, it's 2 hours 10 and fairly important to tell the whole story.

Watched Gravity 3D yesterday and was suitable impressed. Very good use of 3D effects that were effective and not just token use like some films.

It's fairly important to be entertaining. Whether it's a true story or not is not really the point, countless great films have been based on true stories but have been changed to make them better films.

The bit leading to the very predictable climax drags on for a long while. I wasn't really gripped by it all after the original boat setting.

It's fairly important to be entertaining. Whether it's a true story or not is not really the point, countless great films have been based on true stories but have been changed to make them better films.

The bit leading to the very predictable climax drags on for a long while. I wasn't really gripped by it all after the original boat setting.

Well, it kind of is the point because if you don't portray the real life events into the film it's not really a depiction of the true story, is it?

As for entertaining, I thought it was thoroughly entertaining and an intense nail-biter. 

Well, it kind of is the point because if you don't portray the real life events into the film it's not really a depiction of the true story, is it?

As for entertaining, I thought it was thoroughly entertaining and an intense nail-biter. 

People all say Fargo is a true story but it's not. It's a composition of several true stories. And nobody cares, cos it's a great film. So no, it's not the point at all.

I just found it predictable and repetitive for the last hour. It was ok, but I wasn't on the edge of my seat at all.

Watched Django the other day, wasn't as good as expected.

I only saw it a couple of weeks ago & I was disappointed.  Not a fan of Tarantino much anyway & he should never put himself in front of the camera.  Too many styles rolled into one & it didn't work for me.

Christoph Waltz was decent though.

People all say Fargo is a true story but it's not. It's a composition of several true stories. And nobody cares, cos it's a great film. So no, it's not the point at all.

I just found it predictable and repetitive for the last hour. It was ok, but I wasn't on the edge of my seat at all.

Well they're idiots who can't read in that case because at the end it states that it's a work of fiction. Incidentally, Captain Phillips doesn't so it really is the point.

Just out of interest, what would you suggest is included in the last hour to perk it up in your eyes?

Edited by marko

Well they're idiots who can't read in that case because at the end it states that it's a work of fiction. Incidentally, Captain Phillips doesn't so it really is the point.

Just out of interest, what would you suggest is included in the last hour to perk it up in your eyes?

At the end? As in, after the credits when everyone's fvcked off? What about at the start when it clearly states that it's based on a true story and they say the only thing they've changed is the character's names?

That's probably why a lot of people think it is a true story, the film saying so. Anyway, it's besides the point, as I've said.

What would I include? Nothing - in fact I'd include less. The film just had nowhere to go once they leave the boat. I know who's not going to die, I know who's got no chance of succeeding, and there's bugger all they can do with the story once they're in that situation.

They were just stringing out the inevitable and in that sense I lost interest and tension.

For a true story it's very interesting but that doesn't necessarily mean it translates well into a 2 hour film.

Watching Goodfellas again, absolutely iconic movie.

The 'how am I funny' scene has to be one of my favourite scenes in anything and the flowing camera behind Harry and his missus as they walk through the back of the restaurant...absolutely brilliant stuff.

• Like 1