Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Watched "Source Code" for the very first time tonight. I quite enjoyed it, the concept an intriguing combination of Tron, North By Northwest and a few nice hints at the war in Afghanistan.

But I'm a sucker for movies with Michelle Monaghan in them, anyway.

And Vera Farmiga's cute, too.

Saw '12 years a slave' yesterday. An absolutely horrid story if you try to put yourself in to his shoes. Good cast, good locations, good score etc, with (for me) Michael Fassbender stealing the show.

On the downsides, I found that the way some of the shots are held for an extra long period of time, or the way music/singing from a previous scene overlaps for a while to be unnecessary and relatively pointless, without adding much effect (bar one, but I wont spoil).

Also, the portrayal of the period of time is terrible. At most, it only seems like a couple of years. 2, maybe 3, with Solomon the main character, or anyone around him during the main part of the film seeming to age at all.

7.5/10

Watched Blood Diamond last night. that is pretty horrific in parts but nothing like the real thing it was based on.

I looked it up and found there is a documentary about the subject. Think it is called Empire of Africa. A trailer was available only a minute but you would need a strong subject I think to watch it all. It is set in Sirrea Leonne (sp) and the civil war there.

Weirdest film you ever seen? Sky Captain and world of tomorrow! I just simply couldn't get the film, acting in the film is so awkward, you can tell all the actors in this are unsure how to act in this. Jude Law looks bored to hell. 

tumblr_mxysf5JFrN1sweyx8o1_400.gif

"12 Years A Slave" is a must-watch. The lead's performance is outstanding and the film touches upon a subject that was long taboo in the media, in particular in the US, where it is taking place.

There's a few odd casting choices that don't quite deliver when you consider the size of this movie.

And the ending felt a bit rushed.

But in general, it's a pretty accurate, terrific and sometimes terrifying depiction of the slave trade in the 19th century.