Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

I have watched it and shared my thoughts earlier in the thread. I said it was like a boring episode of banged up aabroad. It was a really boring film. Nothing personal it's just I feel your comment about it not being a film for homophobes is the main reason why it got so many positive reviews. I'm not disputing that you enjoyed it, obviously you did, I'm talking more generally. People say they like that kind of film because they like what liking the film says about them more than they actually liked the film

Fair enough. I didn't see your earlier review as I only checked the last 2 pages before posting, so only saw the 21stC Fox post. You're entitled to your negative opinion of Dallas Buyers Club and I'm entitled to my positive opinion, which was based on enjoying the story, lively action and interplay between some wildly different (or were they?) characters, particularly McConaughey and Leto, despite the plot being a bit "Hollywood". Nothing whatsoever to do with wanting to appear right-on and non-homophobic. If I saw something right-on that I thought was crap, I'd say so (Ben Elton & David Baddiel spring to mind).

"Once upon a time in America" is probably my all-time favourite film, because of its moving depiction of time, life trajectories, change, history, love/hate and loyalty/betrayal, all amid some cracking action, music and visuals.... not because I want people to think that I approve of crime gangs, rape, murder, betrayal and opium-taking!

Sorry I wasn't around to respond last night. Was variously out drinking ale, seeing daughter to bed, eating curry soup and watching a BBC4 programme on 1950s rockers, featuring Chuck Berry (black), Elvis (poor rural white), Little Richard (black AND bisexual; Oh, joy!) & Jerry Lee Lewis (who married his 13-year-old cousin - perfect!). Naturally, I only pursued these activities so that I could present myself as a right-on, ale-swigging, ethnic food guzzling Earth Dad in love with multiculturalism!  lol

Edited by Alf Bentley

Fair enough. I didn't see your earlier review as I only checked the last 2 pages before posting, so only saw the 21stC Fox post. You're entitled to your negative opinion of Dallas Buyers Club and I'm entitled to my positive opinion, which was based on enjoying the story, lively action and interplay between some wildly different (or were they?) characters, particularly McConaughey and Leto, despite the plot being a bit "Hollywood". Nothing whatsoever to do with wanting to appear right-on and non-homophobic. If I saw something right-on that I thought was crap, I'd say so (Ben Elton & David Baddiel spring to mind).

"Once upon a time in America" is probably my all-time favourite film, because of its moving depiction of time, life trajectories, change, history, love/hate and loyalty/betrayal, all amid some cracking action, music and visuals.... not because I want people to think that I approve of crime gangs, rape, murder, betrayal and opium-taking!

Sorry I wasn't around to respond last night. Was variously out drinking ale, seeing daughter to bed, eating curry soup and watching a BBC4 programme on 1950s rockers, featuring Chuck Berry (black), Elvis (poor rural white), Little Richard (black AND bisexual; Oh, joy!) & Jerry Lee Lewis (who married his 13-year-old cousin - perfect!). Naturally, I only pursued these activities so that I could present myself as a right-on, ale-swigging, ethnic food guzzling Earth Dad in love with multiculturalism!  lol

In my top 5 of all time. Incredible film!

If people havent seen TURBO yet please go out and buy it NOW.

EPIC film

The fat snail 'white shadow' is brilliant

Also watched Captain Phillips over the weekend that was a very good film aswel Tom Hanks is an amazing actor

Edited by kingcarr21

The Notebook lol

Needless to say it wasn't my choice.

Had to watch it once at College, we watched about 45 minutes of the movie most of the class got bored, so it got switched off and we got to go home early. but yuk people actually paid money to watch this.

Edited by Leicesterpool

The_Armstrong_Lie_Movie_2013.jpg

Good movie, having read the Tyler book it went over a fair bit of old ground.

BTW.. Armstrong is still a cvnt

Funny you say that. The ABC have spent several months producing their own doco "Stop at Nothing"

Can't help but think they've missed the boat as it'll be the fourth or fifth film on the subject

post-624-0-01495000-1392797049_thumb.jpg

Funny you say that. The ABC have spent several months producing their own doco "Stop at Nothing"

Can't help but think they've missed the boat as it'll be the fourth or fifth film on the subject

And I can't be arsed to watch any of them.

Athlete cheats to win event - not very original.

'Don't Look Now'

The film with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie?

If so, an absolute classic. The mixing of the everyday and the unsettling, grief/disbelief and sex, plus the way the atmosphere of doom is built up - truly chilling, particularly the bit where the old, blind psychic gets her vision. Won't spoil the ending for anyone who's not seen it, but definitely the scariest film that I've ever seen, and one of the most gripping.