Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Man now I know you're a wum.

Why?Unless the film was a sequel it was very similar to Alien and Ridley Scott directed both.

The thread is called 'Film thread' and i commented in it. What is wrong with that?

Are you that desperate to find an excuse to take the piss. How sad.

Why?Unless the film was a sequel it was very similar to Alien and Ridley Scott directed both.

The thread is called 'Film thread' and i commented in it. What is wrong with that?

Are you that desperate to find an excuse to take the piss. How sad.

Fair enough, I'm sure you knew that it was connected to the original film, if not then apologies. Oh and most of my posts are excuses to take the piss so I wouldn't take it personally.

I never knew but could see the connections. I just had not heard of it. One good thing I suppose it was not called Alien number XXX

Thinking about it it seemed more like a prequel because I think in the first they were returning to the planet. It was not a bad film but just thought it was too similar and not very original. Even the robot ended up with just a head like the first. Anyway there are some extra bits which should explain the connection.

I never knew but could see the connections. I just had not heard of it. One good thing I suppose it was not called Alien number XXX

Thinking about it it seemed more like a prequel because I think in the first they were returning to the planet. It was not a bad film but just thought it was too similar and not very original. Even the robot ended up with just a head like the first. Anyway there are some extra bits which should explain the connection.

Do you ever IMDb?

Do you ever IMDb?

No.

Got The Hobbit to see sometime. I had a ten pound voucher for redeemed points from EON so got this and the other above.

I don't watch or keep up to date with new films. Normally wait for them to come on TV

A fe friends want to arrange a film day at the Phoenix. Two for one on Mondays but the problem is its the same day as my poker night.It will be in the afternoon so may still make it.

No.

Got The Hobbit to see sometime. I had a ten pound voucher for redeemed points from EON so got this and the other above.

I don't watch or keep up to date with new films. Normally wait for them to come on TV

A fe friends want to arrange a film day at the Phoenix. Two for one on Mondays but the problem is its the same day as my poker night.It will be in the afternoon so may still make it.

Sadly I literally cannot watch films without IMDb anymore...

Just watched The Hoobit. need to get the second part now. I am able to share it on other devices or other people but as I have watched it on my laptop there is no need to download anything.I have until next year to do it anyway.

May get the second part without all the extras.Half the price.

Guest seanfox778

Just watched The Hoobit. need to get the second part now. I am able to share it on other devices or other people but as I have watched it on my laptop there is no need to download anything.I have until next year to do it anyway.

May get the second part without all the extras.Half the price.

I found the 2nd one a lot better than the first, hope you enjoy it.

I don't remember the book being like that though.I thought it was mainly Bilbo and the power of the ring was not known. I have an illustrated version of the book. I shall have to read it again. I also have the three LotR DVD's

I remember watching them on a night shift when I did security. Just about managed them all in between patrols and lock/unlock duties. I wish I had got the second one now instead of Prothemius.The standard one without extras is 6.99 from HMV

Went to watch Interstellar last night and thought it was great, probably helped that I literally knew nothing about it before hand as its a bit of a head**** in the end.

Also, recently watched The Imposter and wow. I won't spoil it for anyone but it's a must watch docu/film about a kid who goes missing in Texas and is found in Spain 3 years later.

Watched Drive (radio one rescores) yesterday. Seen the original a tonne of times and was sceptical, why do that to something with an already perfect sound track?

But to be fair to Zane Lowe and whoever else was involved they laid down another good score. One great film, two decent sound tracks.

Also really enjoy the sound track to London Boulevard (Collin Farrell, Ray Winstone (you mag)) but then again Serge scored that and he can do no wrong

Watched warhorse on the beeb last night. I can understand one man having a faintly sordid relationship with a horse but the way crowds of soldiers in the middle of the first world war were all supposed to stop what they were doing to gaze in amazement at a fvcking horse was a sham. 3/10 and that's putting it mildly.

• Like 1

Watched a few films recently with the only criteria being they need to be rated above 8 on IMDb which in my experience generally guarantees a good film and creates an opportunity to watch some classics we haven't seen yet.

The Pianist (IMDb 8.5, me 9.0): amazing, powerful film. The scene where he plays for the German officer is unforgettable

LA Confidential (IMDb 8.3, me 8.5): another corker, fantastic plot and proper characters

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (IMDb 8.8, me 7.5): undeniably a classic and Nicholson is untouchable but didn't grab me in the same way as the two above

Gladiator (IMDb 8.5, me 7.0): great entertainment but far too Hollywood for me. Felt generic and predictable

Her (IMDb 8.1, me 8.0): thought their interpretation of the near future was brilliantly executed, thoroughly enjoyed it

Interstellar (IMDb 9.0, me 6.5): best thing about it was the music score. Felt like it was trying to be both a sci-fi film and a film about personal relationships and didn't really do either one particularly well. Much more could have been done with the time lapse idea - Inception went to town with the dream concept and I thought it did it brilliantly. Fair play for the ambition in rendering time as a physical dimension though.

sq_dracula_untold_ver2.jpg

I was expecting a really good film after viewing the trailer but apart from the ending I was left overall very disappointed.

Interesting, I enjoyed the rest of the film, and thought the ending was a bit stupid.

Nightcrawler 8/10

Sort of like a dark satire on the way the news business works with some dark humour. Jake Gyllenhaal was very creepy in it, I didn't think he was the greatest actor but he was very good in this. I've heard he's good in Prisoners too but I've yet to see that one.

Really enjoyed this, best film I've seen at the cinema in a long, long time.

Just watched The Babadook. Decent enough horror that makes you feel sorry for the characters but goes off the rails a little at the end. 8/10

For a horror film it's pretty good, agree about the ending, seemed to contradict what the rest of the film seemed to imply.

I don't remember the book being like that though.I thought it was mainly Bilbo and the power of the ring was not known. I have an illustrated version of the book. I shall have to read it again. I also have the three LotR DVD's

I remember watching them on a night shift when I did security. Just about managed them all in between patrols and lock/unlock duties. I wish I had got the second one now instead of Prothemius.The standard one without extras is 6.99 from HMV

The Hobbit films have a lot of extra stuff added in from things like The Silmarillion, I believe.

Watched warhorse on the beeb last night. I can understand one man having a faintly sordid relationship with a horse but the way crowds of soldiers in the middle of the first world war were all supposed to stop what they were doing to gaze in amazement at a fvcking horse was a sham. 3/10 and that's putting it mildly.

The stage show is absolutely fantastic but yep agree the film is a steaming pile of horse turd.

Not watched the extras in the first yet. Still not sure whether to get the second with or without it. Is it worth paying about £7 more for it? It lasts longer than the film and that is four hours. That free £10 voucher is turning out to be expensive. Two films for £5 up to now so could be worse.

Not read any of the Simarillion books.

Edited by Rincewind

I meant extra additions to the story, drawing from sources such as The Silmarillion. They'd never be able to make three feature films just using The Hobbit itself. :P

Ahh I see what you mean now.The story itself was good but quite ordinary. He went on an adventure fought off a few goblins found the ring and came back. Needed extra material for a film. May have to read the other books now,