Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Watched the new Mad Max last night. Are they all as weird as that 1? I sat there wondering if somebody had slipped LSD in my Robinsons peach cordial.

Yes they are.

Just watched Zeitgeist (2007) on youtube.

Not into conspiracy theories particularly but this was really good actually.

Cinema tomorrow: Sicario, The Martian, or Legend?

Anyone seen any of these - can't decide which I fancy.

Seen Legend was very good as long as you arent some sort of Krays history buff as the inaccuracies may be a little annoying.

Really want to see others especially Sicario. Looks very good.. and Emily Blunt :wub:

Never seen the original star wars until tonight really enjoyed it. What are the other 5 films like?

Gonna be controversial here and say the original trilogy isn't as good as everyone who was alive at the time likes to make out.  There's way more corny shit in those films than I've ever seen anyone truly admit to.  

I can understand the fandom from the point of view that these people were children when they saw it first - much like my Jurassic Park obsession, which breaks my heart every time I watch it as an adult and realise how dumb the hacking stuff is for instance, or the whole retarded "don't worry Timmy, we're desperately trying to grab that shotgun but you just go ahead and stand behind your sister who's being useful and bang your hands on her chair, feeling no shame that we keep saving you and you've done nothing at all to help in return" bit.  Yet I'll always defend it as a great film.  So yeah, I get how people have a bias to the films they grew up with.

But grown adults who watch it for the first time and aren't in any way disappointed with some of the ridiculous shit in there worry me.  That said iirc the worst thing George Lucas has ever done doesn't show up in Ep IV which is probably the best film of the original trilogy, so I'll let you off - you've still got your first Ewoks to look forward to and I don't envy you one bit.

Has anyone been to see Martian yet Im thinking of going to see it? 2D or 3D not decided yet.

I went to see The Martian last week and thought that it was well put together. Despite being set predominantly on a barren planet and within the more realistic parameters of science fiction, it does a great job of keeping up the excitement and holding your attention. It has a fun humour about it which helps to keep it very entertaining.

Would definitely recommend it. I saw it in 2D, however I never bother going to see films in 3D.

If you've read the book, they did a great job of translating it to screen. The humour is kept the same along with the storyline which is great for the characters. It touches enough on the science aspects of the book to be interesting without being too information heavy, which makes sense with it being a movie and something that you probably don't want to experience a full on lecture throughout.

• Like 1

Gonna be controversial here and say the original trilogy isn't as good as everyone who was alive at the time likes to make out. There's way more corny shit in those films than I've ever seen anyone truly admit to.

I can understand the fandom from the point of view that these people were children when they saw it first - much like my Jurassic Park obsession, which breaks my heart every time I watch it as an adult and realise how dumb the hacking stuff is for instance, or the whole retarded "don't worry Timmy, we're desperately trying to grab that shotgun but you just go ahead and stand behind your sister who's being useful and bang your hands on her chair, feeling no shame that we keep saving you and you've done nothing at all to help in return" bit. Yet I'll always defend it as a great film. So yeah, I get how people have a bias to the films they grew up with.

But grown adults who watch it for the first time and aren't in any way disappointed with some of the ridiculous shit in there worry me. That said iirc the worst thing George Lucas has ever done doesn't show up in Ep IV which is probably the best film of the original trilogy, so I'll let you off - you've still got your first Ewoks to look forward to and I don't envy you one bit.

Watched the other 2 of the original trilogy tonight and I have to agree with you that they aren't as good as the episode 4. To be honest I thought they were very bad. Episode 5 was the better of the 2 given how it ends. Which obviously sets up episode 6 they went for the dark ending and in episode 6 they tried to pander to the kids much more in my opinion. As for the ewoks they seemed to me to be in it just to make merchandise from. I'm not looking forward to seeing the other 3 as my mates say they are terrible so might give them a miss.

Watched the other 2 of the original trilogy tonight and I have to agree with you that they aren't as good as the episode 4. To be honest I thought they were very bad. Episode 5 was the better of the 2 given how it ends. Which obviously sets up episode 6 they went for the dark ending and in episode 6 they tried to pander to the kids much more in my opinion. As for the ewoks they seemed to me to be in it just to make merchandise from. I'm not looking forward to seeing the other 3 as my mates say they are terrible so might give them a miss.

Right?  Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of stuff to like in there, but it's far from the quintessential Sci Fi experience its often lauded as.

I'd say it is to Sci Fi films what Pokémon is to RPGs - An easy way to introduce yourself to core concepts of the genre without taxing your mind too much, but once you've moved on to Space Odyssey, They Live, Alien etc. or Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dark Souls etc. it all feels rather pedestrian and, dare I say it, childish.

That said I do have a lot of time for a good old game of battlefront.

Right? Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of stuff to like in there, but it's far from the quintessential Sci Fi experience its often lauded as.

I'd say it is to Sci Fi films what Pokémon is to RPGs - An easy way to introduce yourself to core concepts of the genre without taxing your mind too much, but once you've moved on to Space Odyssey, They Live, Alien etc. or Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dark Souls etc. it all feels rather pedestrian and, dare I say it, childish.

That said I do have a lot of time for a good old game of battlefront.

Just downloaded the beta of that this morning will try that after work.

I do like sci fi stuff it's just star wars has never taken my fancy until I finally relented after friends nagging lol I am more of a firefly/serenity guy loved that show and film.

Growing up I was more of a star trek guy too, but even that I could take or leave.

Watched Fury last night-8.5/10. It started slowly but I enjoyed the bond between all soldiers in the tank and its portrayal of war. It certainly made me think in terms of casualties from WW2. It is beyond terrifying. 

Less said about Red film, the better. Never really got in it- 4/10.