Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Has anyone seen He never Dies. It is supposed to be a comedy horror  about a bloke  who is  anti social as well as a cannibal.Then something from his past causes him to change.

I want to watch a film starting with H. There is The Hateful Eight  but it has The in it. Should  'The' count?

Only going through the alphabet once so I have one of each letter in the list.

Harry Potter?

Has anyone seen He never Dies. It is supposed to be a comedy horror  about a bloke  who is  anti social as well as a cannibal.Then something from his past causes him to change.

I want to watch a film starting with H. There is The Hateful Eight  but it has The in it. Should  'The' count?

Only going through the alphabet once so I have one of each letter in the list. 

I'd say that only nouns, verbs or adjectives count so 'The' doesn't.

Hateful Eight is a great film. I really enjoyed it.

Spectre - okay, but the worst Craig bond film so far. Wouldn't watch it a second time in the future.

The Martian - above average but again I wouldn't want to watch it a second time. Not sure why it has so many oscars nominations but it's far better than that boring sci-fi movie that won recently.

Spectre - okay, but the worst Craig bond film so far. Wouldn't watch it a second time in the future.

The Martian - above average but again I wouldn't want to watch it a second time. Not sure why it has so many oscars nominations but it's far better than that boring sci-fi movie that won recently.

Quantum of Solace was worse but Spectre is the next worse.

Watched the first three Die Hard movies in the space of three days.

There's something magical about action movies from the 80ies and early 90ies.

When you're willing to neglect some of the plot holes or the attempts at suspending disbelief (see Dulles Airport in winter, fake snow, etc.), they're simply great entertainment and just don't get boring, especially when you consider that the first part for instance is already 27 years old!

• Like 1

So then, apparently the Oscars are racist as there are no black actors in the 20 nominated.

Why is it deemed totally impossible that the 20 best performances of the year are from white people? Out of thousands of films and thousands and thousands of actors and actresses, perhaps... just perhaps... they were the best? Rather than it being a snub of some sort.

I've seen a lot of discussion about this and they often talk about representation in nominations, about it somehow saying black people "can't act"?

Firstly, the Oscars are meant to be awards for the best performances. Not about representing different races, it's demeaning to those nominated this year, as you're basically saying you're only nominated because you're white. It's would also be demeaning to nominate someone purely because of the colour of their skin, why would you want to be the token black, latino or asian actor? It should be about performances alone and not trying to represent different races.

It's not like minorities are ignored. It was two years ago that 12 years a slave got a whole bunch of nominations, that wasn't about token nominations or representation. They got them because it was an excellent powerful film, with some great performances. There was the same outcry last year when the Dr King movie didn't get anything... well I watched it... and I thought it was shit!!!

Yes the Academy voters needs to better match or represent the make up of America... after all it's not just populated with 95% white, 60 year old Jewish people. When that's the makeup of the people voting of course the voting is going to be more towards their taste. But if that's the issue, say that's the issue... rather than muddying the water and trying to make it something else.

Yes there is an argument to be had, but not many of the people doing the arguing that I saw on the news were making the right one.

Anyway... that's my rant for the day.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 2

Disgusting that Beasts Of No Nation didn't get a nomination. So Netflix'ist.

I'd literally never even heard of this film until yesterday, but apparently Elba should be getting an Oscar nomination for it (he must have changed his acting as I think he's about as wooden... as a... as a.... great big wooden thing).

Or are the talking heads on the news just saying he should because he's one of the few black Bristish actors everyone knows? I saw them say the creed actor should be up for best actor, again I didn't think his performance was much better than run of the mill, whilst the film was good... I thought the girl who played his mrs was better than him... or she was fitter, one of the two :D

NWA was good I enjoyed that, not sure how you could pick an actor out of the group though. Sam L was good in Hateful 8... if daisy gets a nod I don't see why he can't for his. But several of them could have got nods as I thought Russell was good as well. I think both films suffered most probably as it's hard to pick anyone from the group of so many actors.

Not seen the Will Smith film yet, the reviews are pretty average... yet his mrs has lost the plot about him not getting a nomination.

Edited by Babylon

So then, apparently the Oscars are racist as there are no black actors in the 20 nominated.

Why is it deemed totally impossible that the 20 best performances of the year are from white people? Out of thousands of films and thousands and thousands of actors and actresses, perhaps... just perhaps... they were the best? Rather than it being a snub of some sort.

I've seen a lot of discussion about this and they often talk about representation in nominations, about it somehow saying black people "can't act"?

Firstly, the Oscars are meant to be awards for the best performances. Not about representing different races, it's demeaning to those nominated this year, as you're basically saying you're only nominated because you're white. It's would also be demeaning to nominate someone purely because of the colour of their skin, why would you want to be the token black, latino or asian actor? It should be about performances alone and not trying to represent different races.

It's not like minorities are ignored. It was two years ago that 12 years a slave got a whole bunch of nominations, that wasn't about token nominations or representation. They got them because it was an excellent powerful film, with some great performances. There was the same outcry last year when the Dr King movie didn't get anything... well I watched it... and I thought it was shit!!!

Yes the Academy voters needs to better match or represent the make up of America... after all it's not just populated with 95% white, 60 year old Jewish people. When that's the makeup of the people voting of course the voting is going to be more towards their taste. But if that's the issue, say that's the issue... rather than muddying the water and trying to make it something else.

Yes there is an argument to be had, but not many of the people doing the arguing that I saw on the news were making the right one.

Anyway... that's my rant for the day.

I'm glad someone else brought this up. I want too say, the will smith in concussion is probably deserving of a nomination, and that nwa movie maybe, but thats it (out of what i have seen)

The young black lad who was the other lead in Beasts definitely deserves a nomination

You are a very angry man

lol  I can't deny that.... it was just the people they got on the news to talk about it last night and the arguments they were making. It was so weak, I sat there thinking I could make a better bloody argument for your cause than you are!

They chatted to an English black actor. His argument was something along the lines of "if an alien came from outer space and saw the Oscars, they would think that was a representation of the earth, that only white people can act or that there are just white people".

What a stupid god damn bloody argument.

Edited by Babylon