Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

I can understand people being upset with the way Superman is being handled since Man Of Steel but this isn't the 70s/80s anymore and people expect more of the CGI/action than in-depth conversations between characters.

However, I think the new take on Batman is done very well in this new film.  The scene in the warehouse was particularly well done, despite how violent it was.  I enjoyed Nolan's interpretation of Batman massively but this new direction on the character is just as good but in a different way.

The film has to be judged on its own merits, as soon as you start making comparisons with previous iterations and/or the Marvel films, it's very easy to become over critical imo.

All fair points.  Tbh though the change of characters wasn't my biggest issue - the feeling that a scene was missing every few minutes was the biggest disappointment for me. It just lacked proper structure.  No doubt when it comes out on DVD I'll have another watch and find it more enjoyable being already versed in the storyline and therefore less reliant on the film's ability to tell it, but having to mentally stop and rewind and fill in the blanks is a sin for any movie unless it's a deliberate part of the storytelling process which it wasn't in this case.

I didn't find the movie anywhere near as upsetting as I'm giving the impression of btw :D

All fair points.  Tbh though the change of characters wasn't my biggest issue - the feeling that a scene was missing every few minutes was the biggest disappointment for me. It just lacked proper structure.  No doubt when it comes out on DVD I'll have another watch and find it more enjoyable being already versed in the storyline and therefore less reliant on the film's ability to tell it, but having to mentally stop and rewind and fill in the blanks is a sin for any movie unless it's a deliberate part of the storytelling process which it wasn't in this case.

I didn't find the movie anywhere near as upsetting as I'm giving the impression of btw :D

Yes, I agree, the story is very disjointed in places and requires some "looking up" online to fill in the gaps - Batman's nightmare scene being the most obvious of a few that could be mentioned.

Hopefully the Bluray release, which contains the missing 30 minutes of footage, will go someway to filling in the gaps. 

I suppose they expect everyone to e familiar with Batman's past and link it with his parents' murders. He did seem to have changed though from a crimefighter who dumped criminals outside police stations to a vigilante who was judge jury and executioner.

I wonder if there will be a follow up?

spoiler for those who have seen it.

I know they showed Superman dying but at the end the camera was focussed on the coffin. I was expecting them to show inside and his eyes opening. It would be hard to explain how ut maybe the kryptonite was not pure and only knocked him out.

Anyway if he has died it means no more Superman films and I cannot see that.

17/100- Man Up 7.5/10. A rom-com about a woman who took the identity of another woman on a blind date.  It is actually entertaining and put characters in bizzare yet amusing and very funny situations. Good creative story-telling and worth a watch. Rory Kinnear is superb as a sad loser lol

Edited by The Blur

I suppose they expect everyone to e familiar with Batman's past and link it with his parents' murders. He did seem to have changed though from a crimefighter who dumped criminals outside police stations to a vigilante who was judge jury and executioner.

I would sincerely hope not because that's why he became Batman in the first place.  It has to be caused by another traumatic episode.

I'm like 99.9999% sure it's because

there's no Robin in this movie which isn't necessarily the reason on its own - the first 2 Nolan films got by fine without introducing the character at all - but in one of the Bat Cave scenes we see Robin's outfit with Joker's graffiti on it, strongly suggesting we're entering the DC cinematic universe not long after the Jason Todd iteration of Robin.  For me this is one of the biggest reasons why they really needed to do another film first because there's a lot of really good material to be told there. Presumably they'll touch on it some more in the Suicide Squad.

I know they showed Superman dying but at the end the camera was focussed on the coffin. I was expecting them to show inside and his eyes opening. It would be hard to explain how ut maybe the kryptonite was not pure and only knocked him out.

Anyway if he has died it means no more Superman films and I cannot see that.

He certainly hasn't died.  I don't think he died at the hands of kryptonite either but then neither did Zod so the reasoning for bringing him back so to speak will have to be carefully done.  The raising of the soil off the coffin eluded to some sort of power from within.  According to the comics, he enters some sort of hibernating state, and is revived from there via solar energy.  We saw that after the nuclear blast in space though - not sure how they can explain it away from inside a coffin!  lol

He certainly hasn't died.  I don't think he died at the hands of kryptonite either but then neither did Zod so the reasoning for bringing him back so to speak will have to be carefully done.  The raising of the soil off the coffin eluded to some sort of power from within.  According to the comics, he enters some sort of hibernating state, and is revived from there via solar energy.  We saw that after the nuclear blast in space though - not sure how they can explain it away from inside a coffin!  lol

It's a long time since I read the comics and never realised  the films followed them.

I do not think I have seen Man of Steel. I am sure Superman Returns is where he takes on three ex convicts of Krypton which is where he and his foes just about destroy Metropolis. Also I thought his foster parents had already died so how was she returned to be taken hostage? She looked too young as well. Another thing was Lex Luther. I thought he was too young. Looked like a man in his early twenties. Unless he was the son of Lex Luthor Snr which  I think was mentioned at one point but not clarified in detail.

18/100- Chappie 8/10 I can't believe the sheer amount of effort that went into CGI for Chappie's movements. It was so realistic which is even more remarkable when you are trying to design a robot that behave like a child or a gangster. I really enjoyed everything- the story, character development,unexpected ending, some great sets- the criminals' HQ was artistically brilliant. 

Blomkamp is turning into a fine filmmaker, I loved District 9 but found Elysium boring so I am pleased that he got back on the track. It is looking like he is attached to yet another aliens project which is a bit of a pity as I would have liked to see him branching out bit more. 

Edited by The Blur

Watched Man of Steel last night. Basically it was a remake of the original  telling the story of baby on  Krypton to Superman on Earth and three fugitives arriving to take over Earth.

It had better action though and I assume it was the forerunner to  BvS. I enjoyed it.

Terry Gilliam is approaching his fifth attempt at converting Don Quixote into a movie:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/01/terry-gilliam-to-restart-don-quixote-cervantes-film-john-hurt-jack-o-connell

In that regard, I can only recommend watching "Lost in La Mancha" (which is a documentary and thus actually material for the other thread):

Guest seanfox778

The Wizard of Oz - 7/10. Farm girl takes some acid and has the trip of a lifetime.

Room - 8/10. A 5 year old boy and his mother are held captive in one windowless room for the duration of his life after his mother was kidnapped at 17. They plot an escape. Interesting film, I believe the mother won the best actress Oscar recently for this, the kid who played the boy was superb too. Deep film.