Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

I remember going to the midnight showing of the original Independence Day on opening night at the Meridian cinema. Thought that was a load of over-rated rubbish and not holding out much for the sequel going by that trailer.

You just need to watch it as if it was a satire. It becomes more palatable.

Started watching this film tonight - it was pish. I fell asleep it was that scary

Spose if you can't see it happening it would be shit but when you have a history of related stuff like sleep walking it petrified me.

Iv done some right ****ed up shit in my sleep so found this to be quite realistic. The amount of times I got up for school/work showered, dressed and got to the front door before realising it was 1am was far too frequent for my liking. **** Iv even woken up ironing before lol.

Just starting on BBC Two a two part thriller based on the life of French gangster Jacques Meseirine.

I am sure a  have a book about him somewhere. Never got round to reading it.Not sure if  I can keep up with the subtitles.

Quite good this is. Lots of shoot outs and action. I was reading up about him on Wikpedia. He became some kind of Robin Hood character because he was regarded as  anti-establishment and broke out one of the most secure prisons in Quebec.

Edited by Rincewind

Watched two Cronenberg movies over the weekend - Shivers (1975), one of his earliest feature films, and eXistenZ (1999).

Shivers looks dated, although I do like the basic premise of an brand-new apartment building, fully equipped with up-to-date services and technology and host to people somewhat secluded from the rest of the city, becoming infested with a bloodthirsty parasite that spreads like crazy. :D

eXIstenZ had a bigger impact when I was younger and it felt freaky at the time, but now, 17 years later, it's become a bit of a bore. Again, interesting concept, but the execution drags on for too long.

• 2 weeks later...

Mad City is just Starting on BBC One. John Travolta Dustin Hoffman. Sure it was on not long ago.

Appropriate title though given all the car horns sounding and celebrations going on.

I have seen it. It is a hostage film. John Travolta playing a museum curator who loses his job and Dustin Hoffman is the TV reporter  trying to negotiate as well as getting a good news story. His bosses seem more concerned about the ratings. A group of children are hostages by accident.

An unusual part for Travolta playing a family man with low intelligence. Alan Alda is the TV boss wanting to take over the story.

Okay it is not real but I think there is some reality in how the media operates in some situations.. 

Edited by Rincewind

Was in Coburg last night with nothing to do; ended up going to my nearest Ster Kinekor and seeing a fillum I knew absolutely nothing about (which is rare for me) -

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

An American journalist is sent to Kabul to cover the war in Afghanistan, where she meets other journalists competing for stories to keep the war interesting.

- perhaps a good example of marketing not doing the film justice. I went in knowing very little; particularly confused by the poster which suggested an entirely different film. Tina Fey was fantastic in a rather straight role. Martin Freeman needs to do as Scottish accent more often. Margot Robbie is profoundly beautiful. Alfred Molina is a great, if very understated actor, with perhaps the best lines in the film

Finally got to see Captain America: Civil War and have to say I was pretty disappointed with parts of it.

The whole film seemed disjointed and as if it tried to fit too much in all at once.

The opening scenes with Crossbones were poor and it was a shame to see Crossbones dealt with so quickly, considering how he actually killed Captain American in the comics.

Zemo's plan to try and force the Avengers apart. wasn't actually needed as that was happening anyway then just gets arrested. Though you could speculate that he intended that to happen and also did revive one of the Winter Soldiers, namely the huge guy we see fighting guards in the flashback. You only see 3 of them dead, you don't see the big guy or the guy with the beard. Suppose theres a chance for Zemo to feature again at some point in the future and be more like how he should be too.

All of a sudden, Scarlet Witch has become ridiculously overpowered.

NO ONE DIED!

On a plus point, Spiderman was fantastic, it was good to see Ant-Man debut his Giant-Man ability and Black Panther looks as brilliant as he should be. That should be a decent stand alone film when it comes out.

Edited by Darkon84

The Carry On's making a come back apparently, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I absolutely adore those films but hate to see them tarnished by today's terrible modern day humour. They've hired the writers from Two Pints and a larger to write it, but is that the best they can do? where's Ben Elton these days would have been perfect for this.

The cast I sadly fear will be filled with channel four rejects.

Edited by Leicesterpool

Hush. Horror/thriller house invasion about a deaf women being stalked by a killer. Aside from the usual "why don't you do this" silly moments a very good film.

Watched this last night,thought it was a solid 7/10