Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

'The Dammed United'. Not a bad film but not a great film. For those of us who can remember the 70s the period detail was good but Cloughs obsession with Revie didn't really ring true to me. The film seemed to lack something. 7/10

must admit i loved the film but did wonder if he was that obsessed with revie , i need to buy a book , does anyone know a good cloughie book thats supposed to realy know the facts

143489_200806162325531esfc.jpg

Based on a true story that shocked the nation in 1965, the film recounts one of the most shocking crimes ever committed against a single victim. Sylvia and Jennie Fae Likens, the two daughters of traveling carnival workers are left for an extended stay at the Indianapolis home of single mother Gertrude Baniszewski and her six children. Times are tough, and Gertrude's financial needs cause her to make this arrangement before realizing how the burden will push her unstable nature to a breaking point. What transpires in the next three months is both riveting and horrific, leaving one child dead and the rest scarred for life.

7/10.

Edited by Leicfox

'The Dammed United'. Not a bad film but not a great film. For those of us who can remember the 70s the period detail was good but Cloughs obsession with Revie didn't really ring true to me. The film seemed to lack something. 7/10

Fact maybe?

it seems strange to make a film from a fabricated novel when you could easily have made a Brian Clough Film biography he gave people enough material to string something together.

I believe the original book was so false that some Leeds players even sued the writer when the book came out as it was so wrong and wide of the mark.

I watched half of it got a bit bored will watch the rest some other time

Fact maybe?

Philosophical, maybe, but what is fact in this situation? Observations and interpretations contained within the book have as much relevance as the ones Clough put into his own biographies.

For me it holds as much validity. It's a perspective on history with its individual merits and (for me) made an excellent book and a delightful film.

Just because one Leeds player sued doesn't make the allegations about what Giles said untrue because there is an equal lack of evidence for his support of Clough. Because he didn't. Society doesn't take kindly to warts and all portrayals of its heroes, and individuals don't want the light focussing on them in connection with it.

I enjoyed it no end.

Philosophical, maybe, but what is fact in this situation? Observations and interpretations contained within the book have as much relevance as the ones Clough put into his own biographies.

For me it holds as much validity. It's a perspective on history with its individual merits and (for me) made an excellent book and a delightful film.

Just because one Leeds player sued doesn't make the allegations about what Giles said untrue because there is an equal lack of evidence for his support of Clough. Because he didn't. Society doesn't take kindly to warts and all portrayals of its heroes, and individuals don't want the light focussing on them in connection with it.

I enjoyed it no end.

very valid points and I imagine if was a film about some random victorian bloke that was totally made up with no factual evidence whatsoever that that fact thing wouldn't be relevant anyway.

I did think Michael Sheen was great as Clough though and Timothy Spall is one of my favourite actors

I believe the original book was so false that some Leeds players even sued the writer when the book came out as it was so wrong and wide of the mark.

Johnny Giles was the only fella who sued and won.

The book is just fiction, just like Peace's writings on the Yorkshire Police during the Ripper killings were fiction and no-one from the figures involved in that sued.

Anyways, I was disappointed with the film and thought it was just an average film really. I'd love it to be a full take on the book! Lots of swearing.

I did think that the football scenes were some of the best capture on film ever. Football is really hardly to capture in on-the-pitch sense and Damned United did it well.