Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
gilesyboy

Music Music Music

Kia Ora, based in NZ for the last year I have naturally slipped in keeping upto date with the music scene in UK, I get the odd whiff of bands other than The Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian (pronounced case-ah-bian over here if you can believe that) and lack of any serious new UK music has allowed me to reacquaint myself with my back catalgue but my New Year's resolution is to stay more uptodate. I have noticed that the odd avatar features some album covers/music references and that said I throw myself on the mercy of Foxestalk faithful for a little guidance on which bands to pursue album purchases thereof.

iTunes NZ has only just opened up over here and in case anyone's interested some decent NZ bands other than The Datsuns (well ones that get good airplay) are Shihad, The Mint Chicks, The Feelers and Fat Freddy's Drop.

Any recommendations on who are making waves would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year

Kia Ora, based in NZ for the last year I have naturally slipped in keeping upto date with the music scene in UK, I get the odd whiff of bands other than The Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian (pronounced case-ah-bian over here if you can believe that) and lack of any serious new UK music has allowed me to reacquaint myself with my back catalgue but my New Year's resolution is to stay more uptodate. I have noticed that the odd avatar features some album covers/music references and that said I throw myself on the mercy of Foxestalk faithful for a little guidance on which bands to pursue album purchases thereof.

iTunes NZ has only just opened up over here and in case anyone's interested some decent NZ bands other than The Datsuns (well ones that get good airplay) are Shihad, The Mint Chicks, The Feelers and Fat Freddy's Drop.

Happy New Year

Best band I encountered from NZ in quite a few years was The D4 - Now sadly split up

:P

Something tells me you're into yer punk an' that. Dunno what it is.

That old cliche of 'I'm into anything really' of any note. I suppose my uni days which seem to be the benchmark of anyone's music collection were 96-99 so indie obviously ruled those years but my brothers are 10-11 years older so I was brought up on a lot of late 70's and 80's stuff and my old man had a penchant for Elvis, Stones, Beatles, ELO etc.

When I left UK, a year or so ago I suppose the newer stuff I was listening to coming from Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, sort of XFM playlist and anything Mark Radcliffe recommended on Radio 1 really. Having said that I've just bought the book 1001 Albums to Listen to Before You Die and have set about trying to buy all those so recent additions to my collections have been Credence Clearwater Revival, apparently they heavily influenced the Kings of Leon, and Lou Reed (quality).

That all said you can see why I'm after anything new that I may not have heard about as I'm kind of living in a time warp (an albeit pretty cool one) but a time warp none the less! I've heard good things about The Fratellis, not heard their songs though, and notice some of you got the album for Christmas, any good?

As the right honourable gentleman says, We Are Scientists - With Love And Squalor. Start there and report back. :thumbup::P

Will do, many thanks all, Zane Low's band is big over here - Breaks Co-op - if you get a chance they're worth listening to, little bit chilled out MOR Turin Brakes type like.

Will report back with my findings soon as I get my hands on and my ears round the album

Cheers

It's a fooking brilliant album! :D

Whooaa just heard the song, 'Chelsea Dagger' I believe it was called - very impressed, can't get it over here though, nevermind it's on my birthday list to be sent over in Feb by my brother if he's reading this. Get In!!!!

Happy New Year

Next big thing will be The View just finished touring with Babyshambles and playing in a Uni near you, well not you but playing in Uni's around the country soon on the NME tour.

Next big thing will be The View just finished touring with Babyshambles and playing in a Uni near you, well not you but playing in Uni's around the country soon on the NME tour.

Nice one, the name rings a bell but I've yet to hear them, I thought Babyshambles had folded?

Seeing you mention Kings of Leon being influenced by one of your favourite bands, you might want to try Word of Mouth by The Blueskins. :thumbup:

Once again many thanks, will add that to the list, wouldn't say Creedence is one of my favourite bands just someone I happen to be listening to right now because of the KoL influence.

Whooaa just heard the song, 'Chelsea Dagger' I believe it was called - very impressed, can't get it over here though, nevermind it's on my birthday list to be sent over in Feb by my brother if he's reading this. Get In!!!!

Every song on the album is like that imo. Flathead is probably my favourite :thumbup:

Cheers, very good.

Right then so far I've got a list of....

We Are Scientists - Love and Squalor

The Editors - The Back Room

The Holloways - So this is great Britain

The Fratellis

The View

Word of Mouth - The Blueskins

Bromheads Jacket - Dits from the Commuter Belt

... and that concludes the vote from the Leicester jury on where UK music is/going?

Cock on, many thanks, will listen to and report back, please feel free to add any more that may be of interest.

• 4 years later...

Archived