Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

Brilliant win. Fantastic work on the field but the team dealing with the live stream should be sacked. It’s appalling. A real backward step. Ruined the day for me. Go back to YouTube. It was much better and is available on web browsers everywhere. Far greater flexibility and reliability even though it is far from perfect. You can not charge people for this rubbish. Take a look at the presentation from Essex at last week’s game. Excellent picture quality, good camera angles and close ups, good mixing and continuity. Much more professional. And it’s free! 

• Like 1

Spoke to Bill Maddy at the ground today sorry to report  it looke like the club will be posting losses of over 500k this year  following losses of 420k last year. The gamble to make the top 4 in the T20 didn't pay off nor has the prediction  from Jarvis that Rahane would attract  an extra 500 Indian fans on the  gate.On a brighter note great  win today

21 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Spoke to Bill Maddy at the ground today sorry to report  it looke like the club will be posting losses of over 500k this year  following losses of 420k last year. The gamble to make the top 4 in the T20 didn't pay off nor has the prediction  from Jarvis that Rahane would attract  an extra 500 Indian fans on the  gate.On a brighter note great  win today

If true, that’s pretty horrendous given we get about 75% of our income from ECB grants. We don’t even have a vast playing staff anymore. Let’s hope it’s not completely accurate. Who is Bill Maddy by the way?

23 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

That’s on the club to be fair. 

Today’s gate should’ve been a lot bigger. Sunday, beautiful weather, champions in action. But the crowd was poor. Where was the social media posting about the Tigers/City season ticket discount? Why wasn’t it a tenner entry? Really, really poor. 

What are tolerable losses for us as a club? I know we’re not the only ones, Gloucestershire lost £1.2m, Glamorgan £500k, Middlesex are in an absolute mess. 

4 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

If true, that’s pretty horrendous given we get about 75% of our income from ECB grants. We don’t even have a vast playing staff anymore. Let’s hope it’s not completely accurate. Who is Bill Maddy by the way?

Darren’s dad. I don’t know if he still is but he used to be on the board. 

• Thanks 1

That was some weird/great game.

We throw away early wickets and it looks like we'll barely make 100, but them a superb century from Handscomb means we at least post a target to defend.  (a bit like last year's Final).

Some really tight bowling (and great catching) for the first 40+ overs and it looks like we're turning the screw on them, with the required run rate going up with every over..

Then their number 8 batsman starts smashing 4's and 6's like they're going out of fashion, and I can barely believe what I'm seeing.

But in the end, another brilliant catch to finish it off.   What a game, one of the most exciting I've seen.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Graceroad said:

That's not sustainable every year. What about a ground share with Derbyshire? Build a new facility halfway between Derby and Leicester, big enough for international matches and sell off both grounds to fund it.

7 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

That's not sustainable every year. What about a ground share with Derbyshire? Build a new facility halfway between Derby and Leicester, big enough for international matches and sell off both grounds to fund it.

I’ve heard worse ideas but I’m not sure it would work. Leicester and Derby are quite a distance from each other still in English terms

14 hours ago, Lionator said:

That’s on the club to be fair. 

Today’s gate should’ve been a lot bigger. Sunday, beautiful weather, champions in action. But the crowd was poor. Where was the social media posting about the Tigers/City season ticket discount? Why wasn’t it a tenner entry? Really, really poor. 

What are tolerable losses for us as a club? I know we’re not the only ones, Gloucestershire lost £1.2m, Glamorgan £500k, Middlesex are in an absolute mess. 

Yes. I was going. I live about 45 mins away but I have to confess at 58 for 5 I gave up a bit. 

So I'm to blame as much as anyone. It's not a bad experience and the tickets are cheap really. 

I think with a bit of investment and some new board members etc we can go forward. 

I know it sounds ridiculous but 500k in the modern world is not a huge amount of money. 

It's just about about attracting the right investors 

We are so much better than we were 10 years ago. Total laughing stock that also lost money. 

So we have to be positive.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cakey said:

Yes. I was going. I live about 45 mins away but I have to confess at 58 for 5 I gave up a bit. 

So I'm to blame as much as anyone. It's not a bad experience and the tickets are cheap really. 

I think with a bit of investment and some new board members etc we can go forward. 

I know it sounds ridiculous but 500k in the modern world is not a huge amount of money. 

We are so much better than we were 10 years ago. Total laughing stock that also lost money. 

I agree that we are so much better then we were 10 years on the pitch not so sure about off the pitch,.You say 500K is not a huge amount of money but you are talking losses of around 1M Inc the losses of last year. Take away the ECB money and   there's very little money being generated. Despite  improved performances crowds getting lower if anything and I know a few of our older members saying that won't renew next season the ridiculous  fixture list just 1 days cricket at GR in july  and money being tight esp since the loss of the winter fuel allowance  being the main reasons

7 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

I agree that we are so much better then we were 10 years on the pitch not so sure about off the pitch,.You say 500K is not a huge amount of money but you are talking losses of around 1M Inc the losses of last year. Take away the ECB money and   there's very little money being generated. Despite  improved performances crowds getting lower if anything and I know a few of our older members saying that won't renew next season the ridiculous  fixture list just 1 days cricket at GR in july  and money being tight esp since the loss of the winter fuel allowance  being the main reasons

It is difficult I agree and it's certainly a challenge but if you get more commercially aware individuals on.the board increase player sponsorship etc it can be done..

I take my dad who has a season ticket but he and his mates don't spend much in there. Bring their own lunch tea etc they are older I get that. 

However if I take my sons they probably spend more in 4 T20 games than me and my dad do all season. So it's that target audience we have ro hit. Corporate events, etc. 

I wouldn't think any CC makes a profit on a 4 day game. Must be impossible. I mean the crowd I sit with are lucky to get through a flask of tea in a day let alone 8 pints and a sit down lunch. 

But that's where the profits are. 

Some weekdays I'm there thinking, I must me one of the youngest in here at 55, how much are we losing today!

That's not just just Leicestershire either most county crowds are similar. Very little spent in the ground. 

No incentive to spend when you can bring everything in yourself. 

Difficult to find solutions I appreciate that. 

2 hours ago, Cakey said:

It is difficult I agree and it's certainly a challenge but if you get more commercially aware individuals on.the board increase player sponsorship etc it can be done..

I take my dad who has a season ticket but he and his mates don't spend much in there. Bring their own lunch tea etc they are older I get that. 

However if I take my sons they probably spend more in 4 T20 games than me and my dad do all season. So it's that target audience we have ro hit. Corporate events, etc. 

I wouldn't think any CC makes a profit on a 4 day game. Must be impossible. I mean the crowd I sit with are lucky to get through a flask of tea in a day let alone 8 pints and a sit down lunch. 

But that's where the profits are. 

Some weekdays I'm there thinking, I must me one of the youngest in here at 55, how much are we losing today!

That's not just just Leicestershire either most county crowds are similar. Very little spent in the ground. 

No incentive to spend when you can bring everything in yourself. 

Difficult to find solutions I appreciate that. 

Get more schools down there for free during the County Championship, then hope enough enjoy it enough to badger their parents to go back

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cakey said:

There's no way anyone would invest to seek a return. Frankly the only hope would be for a rich cricket loving philanthropist to bankroll the club. Even then, few people can sustain losses of half a million a year with no prospect of any return. 

53 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Get more schools down there for free during the County Championship, then hope enough enjoy it enough to badger their parents to go back

The main issue  with that is that there's  barely any cricket played during  the school holidays 2 or 3 days in July 1 day in August fixtures are a joke. When I first started going down in the late 80s early 90s there was a game down there every other week plus for the really keen fans 2nd team fixtures were regularly  played at GR

Ive been wanting to watch highlights of yesterday as I was a few beers in at the ground, absoloutely great day. but the thread from today here paints a quite a depressing picture.

I was about 12 when T20 started and I'm sure for the first couple of seasons it felt like it was nearly packed out, maybe i'm remembering it wrong.

Really dont want the county to go, im pretty against the hundred but if its things like this that keep us going with ECB money then maybe its needed.

1 hour ago, Graceroad said:

The main issue  with that is that there's  barely any cricket played during  the school holidays 2 or 3 days in July 1 day in August fixtures are a joke. When I first started going down in the late 80s early 90s there was a game down there every other week plus for the really keen fans 2nd team fixtures were regularly  played at GR

That is a huge issue tbh. If we were now playing the blast in the best if the weather crowds and revenue would be improved hugely. 

We don't play enough cricket in the summer. Simple

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Cakey said:

That is a huge issue tbh. If we were now playing the blast in the best if the weather crowds and revenue would be improved hugely. 

The trouble is ... in recent years, the authorities just seem to be chasing their tails and going round in ever decreasing circles.    For example, this year the last T20 group match was on 19th July, but the Quarter Finals aren't until 3rd-6th Sep.    That's bonkers.   

(At least the One Day Cup, rolls on fairly well from Group matches to Qts/Semis and Final)

Years ago ... when life seemed so simple ... the format just seemed nice and stable.    County Championship and Sunday League games throughout the season, B&H Cup early in the summer, and Gillette Cup/NatWest Trophy later in the summer.   I know "we are where we are" (I hate that expression), but sometimes I wish we could just go back to the 1970/80's.

Less championship cricket at weekends and more Sunday one day fixtures, let the clubs have a chance of making some money. Championship cricket only loses the club money whether it’s in the week or over a weekend.

I enjoyed Sundays Glamorgan game, it took me back to when we could regularly enjoy Sunday cricket. 

Northants announced a decent profit and they are very similar to us in size, so it’s possible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Graceroad said:

I mean get schools down having trips during the term to watch the cricket and hope they get in to it enough to get their parents to take them down for the blast at the very least.

2 hours ago, Cakey said:

Yep, if we had 8 home one day games like we did in the 90’s, on Sunday’s across the summer, we’d get much bigger crowds. It would be a ritual and consistent. Likewise the t20 games we need to creative.

Im reluctant to criticise the club on that, it’s all on the ECB. If they fixed the calendar, counties could easily make more money. 

If we have to cut back on an overseas player next season to save money then so be it. We have a squad good enough now to overcome that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Yep, if we had 8 home one day games like we did in the 90’s, on Sunday’s across the summer, we’d get much bigger crowds. It would be a ritual and consistent. Likewise the t20 games we need to creative.

Im reluctant to criticise the club on that, it’s all on the ECB. If they fixed the calendar, counties could easily make more money. 

If we have to cut back on an overseas player next season to save money then so be it. We have a squad good enough now to overcome that. 

I think that everyone besides the ECB have noticed that the schedule is poor. 

If I was in charge, I’d float the idea of the County Champ becoming a 3 tier format, 3 divisions of 6 teams and 10 games. 

Expand the T20 and invite say 4 qualifying minor counties sides and Ireland/Netherlands. Play the T20 July/August. (On a side note, how ludicrous is it that there are 9 teams in each group currently but only 14 fixtures played…).

Keep the one day format as it is (although, I’d argue it is my favourite format and 4 home fixtures, of which one is at an out ground anyway doesn’t feel like enough!). 

Despite being a traditionalist, the game has evolved and white ball cricket is the format that draws crowds in and entices young faces into following the foxes and cricket for life. The ECB should be doing everything to get crowds in for white ball fixtures at county clubs. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

I think that everyone besides the ECB have noticed that the schedule is poor. 

If I was in charge, I’d float the idea of the County Champ becoming a 3 tier format, 3 divisions of 6 teams and 10 games. 

Expand the T20 and invite say 4 qualifying minor counties sides and Ireland/Netherlands. Play the T20 July/August. (On a side note, how ludicrous is it that there are 9 teams in each group currently but only 14 fixtures played…).

Keep the one day format as it is (although, I’d argue it is my favourite format and 4 home fixtures, of which one is at an out ground anyway doesn’t feel like enough!). 

Despite being a traditionalist, the game has evolved and white ball cricket is the format that draws crowds in and entices young faces into following the foxes and cricket for life. The ECB should be doing everything to get crowds in for white ball fixtures at county clubs. 

I just remember the 2000’s (which incidentally was the era that produced England’s greatest ever test team from 2009-2013). You had your 9 team championship, the t20 cup which was 10 games and the one day league which was played on Sundays except for your floodlit game in the summer holidays. There was also the C&G knockout trophy. 

Id agree with you that the 10 game championship makes sense. I’d go full on 18 team T20 premier league where you play each other team once but that’ll never happen. Then a one day cup played on Sundays across the season.