Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

3 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

These numbers are all speculation.

Stirling was on his way back to playing domestically in Ireland. Probably paid him a fraction of £10k.

Neesham may have cost something but again he was only here for a few matches so might have only been a few grand for a weeks work.

Given we lost Mulder we may have only been re-investing the money saved by him leaving early as well.

I'm also big Lewis Hill fan but he's not having a good season and his t20 record isn't great.

The club had a punt chasing finals day and fair play to them. Would rather that than meekly accept failure.

As I said before about Rahane if he scores lots of runs in the remaining CC games and we get promoted is it still a waste of money? Probably not.

In my opinion the club is right to show ambition on the pitch and the playing budget isn't the issue. Where Jarvis has work to do is off the pitch.

Don't think it is speculation  regarding Stirling  been told by former board members it was around that figure.  very much doubt we will get promoted  bowling far too weak and even if we do it's not football from a financial  point of view don't really make that much difference if you are Div1 or 2. Lewis Hill has an OK T20 record  and decent strike rate and played some good knocks in the one day cup.

2 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

These numbers are all speculation.

Stirling was on his way back to playing domestically in Ireland. Probably paid him a fraction of £10k.

Neesham may have cost something but again he was only here for a few matches so might have only been a few grand for a weeks work.

Given we lost Mulder we may have only been re-investing the money saved by him leaving early as well.

I'm also big Lewis Hill fan but he's not having a good season and his t20 record isn't great.

The club had a punt chasing finals day and fair play to them. Would rather that than meekly accept failure.

As I said before about Rahane if he scores lots of runs in the remaining CC games and we get promoted is it still a waste of money? Probably not.

In my opinion the club is right to show ambition on the pitch and the playing budget isn't the issue. Where Jarvis has work to do is off the pitch.

Agree really. They should have a playing budget at the start of the season and work within that, allowing a contingency for emergencies. Other clubs do more to engage the community and get people to the ground. But other clubs have more non-cricket income as well. Changes to the ground have just been tarting up the edges really, there's been no major building change since the indoor cricket school and media centre, which is now 1993 in the Mike Turner era. We've been left behind from that point of view, even if the cricket side of things is now more encouraging. The Meet should have been knocked down decades ago, it's like a giant air raid shelter.

• Like 1

Couple of things picked up from today's TF podcast. These next two CC games are the last for Handscomb before he returns to Oz in preparation for their domestic season. On the injury front, it sounds like Ben Mike is out for the rest of the campaign and Salisbury is still a doubt. Everyone else should be available.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LBTufty said:

Team news

No Cox or Chris Wright

Holland, Scriven, Green and Hull seems the likely attack with one or both of Ahmed and Trevaskis spin options. We should be batting deep given Hull is the only bowler who doesn't bat well enough to be considered an all rounder in the 13!

Feel like Budinger is likely to play so hope he can finally carry the one day form over...alternative would be Patel and Hill opening which I'd not mind as means Kimber, Ahmed and Trevaskis all in the middle order.

On 19/08/2024 at 18:08, MaidstoneFox said:

You get to see both games with one ticket.

Interesting. So all the talk about the numbers watching the women's game needs the context that it isn't it's own product.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Corky said:

Interesting. So all the talk about the numbers watching the women's game needs the context that it isn't it's own product.

That's true. Having the back-to-backs definitely exposes the women's game to more fans. It is rather like a music support act as the after work crowd swells everything considerably for the second game.

I think the first year, I picked my son from school, got the train to St Pancras and then to Lords just in time for the second game. Since then all start in the school holidays, so not such an issue, but you have to have quite an engaged child to sit through two games of cricket - which mine aren't! Also they enjoy watching at night under lights. Was the first time my son saw someone vomit in the toilet! 

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

As much as I'd like to celebrate this, the Olympics whacked it out the park. 

However, I can't quite work out who watches it, regardless of the viewing figures.

It's not cricket fans (well,.maybe 20% of cricket fans follow it,.at best) And it's not supporters of the clubs, as they haven't got any. It won't be kids either, as kids simply don't watch TV with a box of maltesers.and a glass.of milk anymore. 

On 20/08/2024 at 15:25, SemperEadem said:

Sticking the boot in on Jarvis. The chap loves to stir the pot on all things LCCC.

This was the guy whose ‘insider’ said that Chris Wright had fallen out with Alfonso Thomas and was told to stay away from the club 😅

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

As much as I'd like to celebrate this, the Olympics whacked it out the park. 

However, I can't quite work out who watches it, regardless of the viewing figures.

It's not cricket fans (well,.maybe 20% of cricket fans follow it,.at best) And it's not supporters of the clubs, as they haven't got any. It won't be kids either, as kids simply don't watch TV with a box of maltesers.and a glass.of milk anymore. 

I know this sounds daft but seriously that scoreboard graphic for the 100 is a complete turn off. Its beyond confusing 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

I know this sounds daft but seriously that scoreboard graphic for the 100 is a complete turn off. Its beyond confusing 

Yeah, agree. Though that's something that's easy to fix. I've heard / read several people that are cricket fans struggling to follow what was going on with those garish slidometer things. 

This hundred franchise auction is potentially showing up the cracks in the system though. The two London franchises get big crowds and have the brand appeal to foreign investors. Birmingham and Manchester at a push.  The disinterest in Glamorgan, Southampton,. Nottingham and Leeds (from both fans and investors) is noticeable. 

4 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Weird isn't it, pretty sure most watching The Hundred have a decent grasp of cricket and if anything they've just complicated it for kids. 

49 minutes ago, blurryface said:

basically £200 for a white ball pass next season as early bird ends on October 1st (£150) - was £90 right up until the first game of last season, maybe even after

rotten.

That's an outrageous increase.

This is how they are going to reduce losses for next season. 2000 season tickets x that initial £60 increase is £120,000, even without the extra £50 after October 1st. They are just trying to sponge the loyal fanbase.

19 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

That's an outrageous increase.

This is how they are going to reduce losses for next season. 2000 season tickets x that initial £60 increase is £120,000, even without the extra £50 after October 1st. They are just trying to sponge the loyal fanbase.

Shows the club have completely  given up on attracting  new members and think that the members most of us long term will still join regardless of the price. Sadly I won't be rejoining and many others won't be either. To think I could have got a life membership around 15 years ago when I was in my early 30s for around  £500 

• Like 1