Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

9 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I think we would need a different ground to become a more attractive proposition. Grace Road is basically a dead end, it’s in a massive housing estate, difficult to access through streets etc. 

The Championship games have never been well attended as i can remember, but certainly back in the 70s, the sunday league games were packed, there would literally be people sat by the rope at the boundarys edge.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

The Championship games have never been well attended as i can remember, but certainly back in the 70s, the sunday league games were packed, there would literally be people sat by the rope at the boundarys edge.

And during the 1980s but it’s a long repeated story of poor ECB fixture scheduling. Every other Sunday there would be a 40 over game, give the Counties a chance by scheduling one day cricket at weekends and championship matches in the week.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I think we would need a different ground to become a more attractive proposition. Grace Road is basically a dead end, it’s in a massive housing estate, difficult to access through streets etc. 

Agreed.

I've said this for a while, there's no chance to build any kind of infrastructure there for sustainable commercial revenue. 

Will need to move in the long term.

Let's be honest with ourselves. 

It's far more likely that the club ends up with far fewer members and no external investment at all. 

Essentially it's more likely the club folds completely with the route being taken. 

2 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Let's be honest with ourselves. 

It's far more likely that the club ends up with far fewer members and no external investment at all. 

Essentially it's more likely the club folds completely with the route being taken. 

Have to agree its ridiculous  that  the cheapest way to watch the foxes next season is to buy a Notts membership

Would love to know how Northants a similar  if not smaller sized club posted a profit of £87k last year and forecast another profit this year while our losses will exceed £1M in the last 2 years. Sean Jarvis really needs to be asked this question at the next forum meeting

3 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

And during the 1980s but it’s a long repeated story of poor ECB fixture scheduling. Every other Sunday there would be a 40 over game, give the Counties a chance by scheduling one day cricket at weekends and championship matches in the week.

Yes it isn't that different. You'll still get good attendances for T20 games, quarter finals in good weather etc, but championship was always sparsely attended. So much so that players used to sit around the ground without ever being bothered much - don't know if they still do. I remember even seeing Gerry Taggart and Matt Elliot down there drinking all day. 

ECB payments will be a lot higher than before, but player costs will of soared. Travel, wages, accomodation, medical, academy etc. If you read Simon Hughes' account of being a player in the 70s and 80s, it's very telling how amateurish the whole set up and what a limited budget there was.

1 minute ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Yes it isn't that different. You'll still get good attendances for T20 games, quarter finals in good weather etc, but championship was always sparsely attended. So much so that players used to sit around the ground without ever being bothered much - don't know if they still do. I remember even seeing Gerry Taggart and Matt Elliot down there drinking all day. 

ECB payments will be a lot higher than before, but player costs will of soared. Travel, wages, accomodation, medical, academy etc. If you read Simon Hughes' account of being a player in the 70s and 80s, it's very telling how amateurish the whole set up and what a limited budget there was.

Yep  remember Gerry  Taggart and Matt Elliott drinking and smoking all day the only ex city players  you get down there now are  Sam McMahon and Mick Duffy though I haven't seen him this season know he had a stroke recently

Currie and Cox are back for the crunch game against the racists:

"Ben Cox and Scott Currie both return after missing out on the previous two red-ball squads. Peter Handscomb has flown home to Australia, while Alex Green also drops out of the 13.

Ben Mike (side) and Matt Salisbury (calf) will step up their respective recoveries with the Second XI this week. Ben Green remains with Somerset ahead of Finals Day, while Josh Hull is on Test duty with England.

Leicestershire: Ahmed, Budinger, Cox+, Currie, Holland, Hill*, Kimber, Patel, Rahane, Scriven, Trevaskis, Wood, Wright."

GW96sm_XIAAhPpM?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

It's a hard sell CC I don't know who you would get in as CEO that could solve it? Realistically it's a white elephant im it's current state, you couldn't give it away. 

Your in the final few games of the season (business end) as they say in football and we are playing on a Monday, a few weeks after most people's holiday  it's cold it's dark and there are about 8 other people sitting around me. At 56 I'm the youngest. 

Our opening batsmen is already out because he can't see the ball in the gloom and we are trying to sell tickets for this in advance. 

Good luck. 

Edited by Cakey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cakey said:

It's a hard sell CC I don't know who you would get in as CEO that could solve it? Realistically it's a white elephant im it's current state, you couldn't give it away. 

Your in the final few games of the season (business end) as they say in football and we are playing on a Monday, a few weeks after most people's holiday  it's cold it's dark and there are about 8 other people sitting around me. At 56 I'm the youngest. 

Our opening batsmen is already out because he can't see the ball in the gloom and we are trying to sell tickets for this in advance. 

Good luck. 

indeed! Perhaps there should be a much, much shorter 4 day season. Like 8 to 10 games, so they become more important events, and there is time to play them in the heart, rather than the extremes of the season. September weather is often decent to be fair, but if you cut four championship games, you could start the season in mid, rather than early April, and end it this week, rather than late September. Australia's Sheffield Shield has 10 matches, and it certainly never seems to harm the quality of their Test team.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cakey said:

Good luck. 

Get behind the lads! Are you having a lovely day?