Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

311 all out sums Leicestershire's last few seasons, awful start, recovery, lose 2 quick wickets, recover then give a wicket away, put on over 100 for the 7th wicket, then let them take the new ball and blow it away. 11-3 up to 311 is good going but some of the wickets we lost were poor, need some wickets before the close.

Spot on, one of Cobb, Ned, O!Brien, or Taylor should have gone on and got a ton, only Ned didn't throw his wicket away. Still from 11-3 we recovered well and Raine also was excellent. Somehow we need to bowl them out and get a first innings lead, batting last shouldn't be easy but then again look what Gloucs did!

All about confidence...It's a very young squad and they can easily lose heart....

Lack leadership, I agree with the comments about Sarwan, a very disappointing 'overseas' appointment, has never performed to anything like the consistency expected of him!

Really think LCCC have 'missed a trick' in recent years. We have a huge population within the city/county whose origins are within the Indian/Asian subcontinent. A good percentage of them consider cricket to be their preferred sport, and I believe that they would flock to Grace Road, should we have a high profile Indian player in the squad.

A few years back, as a journalistic project, I conducted a survey, regarding cricket , in the local area. The results were quite telling!

As for the preferred format of cricket to attend:

Something like 40% expressed a preference for 20/20 games;

Around half that number, (20%) said that they'd prefer to attend a Test Match,

Roughly equal, (10% approx for each), stated that their preferred format was either 4 day County games, or 40-50 overs one day matches...

Surprisingly, the remaining 20ish% said that they would rather watch village cricket than any other kind.............Alarm bells for the 'County'?

As for the local Asian population, some 35% said that they were more likely to attend a Leicestershire game if the county had a 'high profile' Indian player in the team. Interestingly, this doubled to 70%+ should the said player be signed up for 20/20!!!!!

Thoughts??

Everything says your point should be correct, but we have had 3 massive Indian stars play for us over the years Kumble, Sehwag and Srinath with no noticeable difference in the Asian support.

All about confidence...It's a very young squad and they can easily lose heart....

Lack leadership, I agree with the comments about Sarwan, a very disappointing 'overseas' appointment, has never performed to anything like the consistency expected of him!

Really think LCCC have 'missed a trick' in recent years. We have a huge population within the city/county whose origins are within the Indian/Asian subcontinent. A good percentage of them consider cricket to be their preferred sport, and I believe that they would flock to Grace Road, should we have a high profile Indian player in the squad.

A few years back, as a journalistic project, I conducted a survey, regarding cricket , in the local area. The results were quite telling! 

As for the preferred format of cricket to attend:

Something like 40% expressed a preference for 20/20 games;

Around half that number, (20%) said that they'd prefer to attend a Test Match,

Roughly equal, (10% approx for each), stated that their preferred format was either 4 day County games, or 40-50 overs one day matches...

Surprisingly, the remaining 20ish% said that they would rather watch village cricket than any other kind.............Alarm bells for the 'County'? 

As for the local Asian population, some 35% said that they were more likely to attend a Leicestershire game if the county had a 'high profile' Indian player in the team. Interestingly, this doubled to 70%+ should the said player be signed up for 20/20!!!!!

Thoughts??

Agree with you on Sarwan, we need an overseas player to be influential, both in terms of performance and leadership, especially with such a young squad.  He seems to fail on both counts.

Agree with you on Sarwan, we need an overseas player to be influential, both in terms of performance and leadership, especially with such a young squad. He seems to fail on both counts.

Add to that he's a piss poor T20 and 50 over player, I'd rather see a 2nd XI player given a chance. It's difficult to get overseas players in because of so much cricket being played and big bucks being made in T20 tournaments.

But look at our opponents today Derbyshire, they signed Marcus North, test match pedigree, plays well in all forms and bowls. Glamorgan have Klinger who took us apart last game, both available for the whole season, this is the sort of player we should be targeting. Even if it means we only have one T20 player all season rather than 2.

Styris is a good signing but he can't bowl, where his bowling would've been so useful to us this season. Money needs to be spent more wisely in my opinion. Why we signed Sarwan on a 2 year deal baffles me. His body language is shocking.

Edited by riznarma

Add to that he's a piss poor T20 and 50 over player, I'd rather see a 2nd XI player given a chance. It's difficult to get overseas players in because of so much cricket being played and big bucks being made in T20 tournaments.

But look at our opponents today Derbyshire, they signed Marcus North, test match pedigree, plays well in all forms and bowls. Glamorgan have Klinger who took us apart last game, both available for the whole season, this is the sort of player we should be targeting. Even if it means we only have one T20 player all season rather than 2.

Styris is a good signing but he can't bowl, where his bowling would've been so useful to us this season. Money needs to be spent more wisely in my opinion. Why we signed Sarwan on a 2 year deal baffles me. His body language is shocking.

Sarwan is a player who averages 40 in 87 Test matches and 42 in 180 ODIs, that is serious international pedigree (in a fairly poor team).

Sarwan is a player who averages 40 in 87 Test matches and 42 in 180 ODIs, that is serious international pedigree (in a fairly poor team).

He was a top class batsman in his day.

Sadly his best days are well and truly behind him now.

Exactly Bert, he's finished now, hasn't been a prominent member of any of the West Indies international teams for at least a couple of years now.

They may well be, just disputing the notion he's not got as much pedigree as North at Derbyshire.

Anyway, looks encouraging at the moment for LCCC.

Totally true....The worrying aspect of this is that, of the local Indians that we interviewed did point out that they didn't feel there was a 'welcome' awaiting them at Grace Road when their 'heroes' were here!

Think that if we wish to rebuild LCCC as a cricketing 'power', (as we were less than 20 years ago), we really need to engage the help of the Indian poulation in the city/county!

They possess the wealth and the passion to adopt this team as their own and help re-establish it.

The trouble is, at present, that the club doesn't seem willing to engage that support! Why??? Really don't know!

Not being funny but what kind of welcome are they expecting? If you're from Leicestershire and want to support the team no-one's going to be opposed to you turning up.

Agree it is a shame you don't see more Asian faces down at Grace Road in the same way as you do at City matches these days though.

Massively unlucky with his injury in the intr-squad friendly. Time for him to start for me, as you said in the runs with the seconds.

Redfern and Boyce have been in the runs for the seconds lately, wouldn't mind seeing Tom Wells given a chance after his T20 exploits either.

Lead by 175, if the last pair can add 15-20 runs and frustrate Derbyshire a little this morning, I think we've got half a chance. Hope Wyatt can bowl as he was batting with a runner yesterday.

On the Asian fans, I see a lot more down The G for the T20s than any other form. A lot of them are well off with successful businesses, the only thing that will bring them down is a serious signing such as Yuvraj, problem is these guys are not available for the whole season.

Not exactly cheap to get into T20 games either, £15 in advance or £20 on the gate, imagine if it was £10 advance and £15 on the gate, it would make a massive difference. £10 for Lancs v Yorks in T20 and the place was packed!

Edited by riznarma

Needs to be serious changes to the team, and the club as whole in all honesty. New management team is needed, and a new outlook. Need to make much better use of the oversees player once Sarwan leaves, if Derbyshire can get Marcus North then why can't we get someone with the same hunger?

For the rest of the season we've got to give more of the seconds a chance, our best player so far has probably been Angus Robson who is still only 21 and we need to give more players his age a chance. Tom Wells should definitely be used, he'll only improve as a player with more first team cricket.