Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

Although the players are ultimately responsible, you have to question how Phil Whitticase has held on to his coaching role so long. It's all far too cosy. We need new vision, fresh ideas and somone who knows how to win at the helm. Lads like Smith and Cobb who are out of contract at the end of this season perhaps need a new challenge elsewhere.

Really saddened by our demise

Although the players are ultimately responsible, you have to question how Phil Whitticase has held on to his coaching role so long. It's all far too cosy. We need new vision, fresh ideas and somone who knows how to win at the helm. Lads like Smith and Cobb who are out of contract at the end of this season perhaps need a new challenge elsewhere.

I heard Whitticase is in for a hefty pay out as he's been at the club for so long, so sacking him is a no go. I'd love to see somebody like Phil Simmons take over.

We've missed Tim Boon badly, we were competitive in the Championship although the shorter versions were nothing to write home about.

The Championship, ultimately, should be the priority.

We've missed Tim Boon badly, we were competitive in the Championship although the shorter versions were nothing to write home about.

The Championship, ultimately, should be the priority.

Disagree.

As bad as it sounds the biggest crowds come at the T20 and that should be he priority for now. That's where the big names come in, build from there.

Disagree.

As bad as it sounds the biggest crowds come at the T20 and that should be he priority for now. That's where the big names come in, build from there.

I do see your point, and the success in that is even more remarkable given the struggles elsewhere, I just believe we need to be competitive in the Championship and eventually return to the First Division.

Similar sized counties in Derbyshire and Northants have managed it in very recent times, and we'll be more attractive at that level to crowds.

That would be incredible. What a man.

He works on a very tight budget with Ireland, small squad, not the most talented because England pinch all their best players, but they qualify for all the major tournaments, which is no mean feat now there are so many decent associate countries.

Add to that he is a Leicestershire legend, I'd love it if he came in, something just tells me he'll do a great job and help us gain back some much needed competitiveness and respect.

Championship cricket is real cricket. If you're rubbish at that, you have no real credibility in my eyes. I'm an old fashioned cricket snob.

I agree. Championship cricket is the main priority. If you're good at that you do ok in the other forms. At the moment we're just hit and miss every year in T20, if we start well we go to the finals, if we do poorly like this year we've got nowt to play for.

Guest MattP

Disagree.

Financially it's of huge importance and we have to remain competitive in it to keep the crowds coming in which keeps the county alive.

But the Championship is what it should be all about, winning that competition is the pinnicle of English County Cricket.

He works on a very tight budget with Ireland, small squad, not the most talented because England pinch all their best players, but they qualify for all the major tournaments, which is no mean feat now there are so many decent associate countries.

Add to that he is a Leicestershire legend, I'd love it if he came in, something just tells me he'll do a great job and help us gain back some much needed competitiveness and respect.

I'd love to see him here but unfortunately the Ireland job is probably bigger than Leicestershire now given the World Cups etc and the fact their is now a route of getting into Test cricket appearing from the ICC.

Edited by MattP

Financially it's of huge importance and we have to remain competitive in it to keep the crowds coming in which keeps the county alive.

But the Championship is what it should be all about, winning that competition is the pinnicle of English County Cricket.

I'd love to see him here but unfortunately the Ireland job is probably bigger than Leicestershire now given the World Cups etc and the fact their is now a route of getting into Test cricket appearing from the ICC.

That's a good point. He's been in the job for years so you never know might fancy a change, and a new challenge. If not him then Nixon or Maddy would be good. Maybe come in alongside Ben Smith and Lloyd Tennant. It needs to be freshened up!

That's just it though we cannot continue to carry on as we are, before long questions will be asked at the ECB regarding the point of LCCC.

Not until we stop producing talented youngsters who go on to play for England after leaving us for Nottinghamshire.

That's just it though we cannot continue to carry on as we are, before long questions will be asked at the ECB regarding the point of LCCC.

All the club would have to do is point to Broad, Gurney and Taylor as a reason for the club to still be around. We've produced some wonderful talent recently and I'm sure the ECB will be aware of that. 

Not forgetting the non players currently involved in the England / ECB set up...  David Collier, Tim Boon, Carl Crowe.  As dog shite as we are at the moment we still have a lot going for us.

I just wish the council would back us by pushing through the county ground as the venue for the Riders.  Looks a non starter now though.

They'll nick Wells next.

Agree on Thakor and Wells, maybe even Robson, Eckersley and Buck. I wouldn't sign Naik if I was them, has looked below average this season, hasn't picked up many wickets and has gone for quite a few runs as well. His best bowling has been in the T20s.

Edited by riznarma