Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

I wonder if we could sell the ground to a housing developer and move out of the city centre, perhaps to an area like Oadby. Then start again with a smallish 3500 seater arena with a little more money to spend on playing staff. I'm not sure Grace Road would be missed for anything more than sentimental reasons frankly.

I wonder if we could sell the ground to a housing developer and move out of the city centre, perhaps to an area like Oadby. Then start again with a smallish 3500 seater arena with a little more money to spend on playing staff. I'm not sure Grace Road would be missed for anything more than sentimental reasons frankly.

I personally disagree, but its an interesting proposition. I wonder how much the land there is worth.

I personally disagree, but its an interesting proposition. I wonder how much the land there is worth.

It would also need the backing of a wealthy Chairman I suspect. There are, however, plenty of wealthy people in Leicestershire, and the support enjoyed by City and Tigers suggests an extremely sport interested population. The Club has appeared stagnant for around five years sadly

These rumoured changes need to be massive because we are proper ffffffff'd if not.

The only players showing any real promise this season are either being let go as we 'can't afford them' or walking away to bigger clubs (like Northants/Derbs)

I might just apply for that chief exec position...

Whilst I agree that we could be proper fffff'd, the above about those being shown promise doesn't stack up.

Buck fair enough, has had an ok season but still very injury prone and too expensive in 1 day.

Thakor hardly played so although the potential may be missed, the tangible runs and wickets won't.

Eckersley has been awful this season.

Ireland lives on 3 or 4 1 day performances per season.  Championship...poor.

Smith has been inconsistent, champ form dropping off when the 1 day stuff started.  Definite potential though so would prefer he stayed.

Cobb has shown definite improvement in the 4 day game and this would be missed.

Robson has signed an extension, O'Brien is next best batter and he is still under contract.

If Buck, Thakor, Sarwan, Eckersley and Ireland disappear and give us the finances to sign a good overseas bowler and a decent experienced batter who is fit we may actually be in a better position next season.  If's and buts though.

Although there are massive issues, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that none of these players have set the world alight. 

• Like 1

Whilst I agree that we could be proper fffff'd, the above about those being shown promise doesn't stack up.

Buck fair enough, has had an ok season but still very injury prone and too expensive in 1 day.

Thakor hardly played so although the potential may be missed, the tangible runs and wickets won't.

Eckersley has been awful this season.

Ireland lives on 3 or 4 1 day performances per season. Championship...poor.

Smith has been inconsistent, champ form dropping off when the 1 day stuff started. Definite potential though so would prefer he stayed.

Cobb has shown definite improvement in the 4 day game and this would be missed.

Robson has signed an extension, O'Brien is next best batter and he is still under contract.

If Buck, Thakor, Sarwan, Eckersley and Ireland disappear and give us the finances to sign a good overseas bowler and a decent experienced batter who is fit we may actually be in a better position next season. If's and buts though.

Although there are massive issues, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that none of these players have set the world alight.

Here here! Also, I think the overseas player is a batsman but don't hold me to that.

Someone who has some idea's to increase general revenue at the club is needed, they need to show some ambition and get all our young talent on long term contracts. Some redevelopment of Grace Road is needed especially on the corporate side.

Totally agree re the revenue.  We need a professional with marketing experience or someone who is willing to go to City, Tigers, Riders et al and just say how do you do it?

I had a bit of a Jerry Maguire moment a couple of nights ago, if you're bored, have a read.

http://www.cricket247.org/showthread.php?t=5823&page=15

The flats being built in the corner of a Grace Road will bring in extra revenue which should be put into redevelopment. The Club can't sell the ground without council agreement and building more houses where it is isn't a great idea or within the planning strategy for the area.

You're missing the point and in fact reinforcing mine.

These players have not set the world alight.. and the club wanted to keep them, yet still we cannot.

If they'd been superb, I could understand them wanting to further themselves by going to div 1 teams.

We are losing a player we'd like to keep to Derbyshire FFS!

These players have not set the world alight.. and the club wanted to keep them, yet still we cannot.

If they'd been superb, I could understand them wanting to further themselves by going to div 1 teams.

The players we are losing have been here for a few years and done nothing, they may well develop elsewhere and go on to play at international level. For us though, it's a blessing they've rejected us and gone elsewhere, we bring the right people in, which is possible even with our financial constraints, and we can definitely pick up some wins next season, which is all I want.

Our current squad may have come on leaps and bounds next season with an Aussie coach and overseas player, but a lot of them would still mentally have to find a way of winning matches on days 3 and 4, that's not easy to do when you've struggled for 2 whole seasons. I'd rather we sign 5 new faces with a fresh outlook and mentality, not impossible to do.

• Like 2

These are the players who lost at home to the Dutch a couple of seasons ago, and lost at home to Leeds and Bradford and the Unicorns last season, each of these games a huge embarrassment and just swept under the carpet, we need players who stand up and be counted and a set up which is positive and can bring the best out of a small squad.

I'm not missing the point and I do agree with you.  We have problems and shouldn't be losing players to Derby due to money or ambition. 

What I am trying to get over is that all is not lost.

Based on CC runs our best 2 batsmen will be here next year. 

Losing Buck will be a loss but Freckingham could fill the gap.  If we could get an overseas bowler I'd argue that Shreck, Freck and A.N.other would be better than Buck, Ireland and Shreck who haven't bowled teams out twice this year.

Maybe a new broom and clean sweep is needed.

It's not as if we are going to have county status taken away.  For all the comments about ' why do the ECB let us stay' we have a lot going for us :

Best nets in the country - touring teams often want to train here.

The biggest physical pitch (or one of the top 2 or 3) in the world.  A tiny amount of investment and the ground could be improved, maybe shortening the boundaries.  There is the space.

A production line which believe it or not, does produce some of the best players in the country : Maddy, Wright, Ormond, Stevens, Broad, Taylor, Gurney.  Our locality to Uppingham and Oakham gives us a massive advantage in young player development.

If Cobb, Smith and Eckersley also leave and we bring in shite players then I'll agree, we are right royally fooked.  But, we're not dead yet.  Maybe revisit this post in a month and see where we both stand then.  I'm crossing everything in hope.

were not doomed as some fear have the players who have left set the cricketing world alight? no  bucky will go on to bright things maybe but with these players we havent won for 30 games! if and i say if we can get in a star overseas (which isnt easy )  and a few hungry players we will improve time for a clean slate and things can only look up down th the board now to get them players in !

also like to add robson looks like a serious player o,brien on his day is a good player  frecks injury free will take wickets  taylor is a decent allrounder  redfern has shown glimpes hes useful with bat n ball  and shiekh yeah his first game wernt great but coached well he can cause some damage so not doom n gloom just yet

Went down today for a few hours.  Missed Thornley batting but Pinner & Wells looked a different level.  Granted, the Lancs. attack was poor (Lilley bowled well but that was about it) but we still looked well in control.  Liked the look of Pearson but don't think he's the answer yet. 

Michael Thornely has been told he won't be offered a new contract at the end of this season. He's played some excellent match winning innings for the 2nd team this season and deserved more opportunities in the 1st team, especially with Eckersley and Smith so inconsistent this year.