Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant news that Wasim Khan has joined us, if there's anyone who can turn the club around it's definitely him. Also, on Wednesday or Thursday, Leicestershire will confirm Andrew McDonald, former player and Aussie, as the clubs new Head Coach.

Edited by RizLCFC

Exceptional appointment, Khan has done some magnificent things already in everything he has been involved with and Mac is the aggressive cricket coach we need to win matches in the four day format.

Just need a few more players now.

"I want there to be a winning mentality and a steeliness about the place. First of all we need a head coach who is going to inspire and motivate the dressing room. Phil Whitticase did his best but it is the right time for a change.

What I don't want is people celebrating when Leicestershire win their first Championship game next year because we have bigger and better ambitions. The club is debt free and in a position to build for the future. In the next five years I want us to become the biggest county outside those with Test match grounds."

Certainly talking the talk......

I love these two statements in particular

Wish I could find the source but wasn't there a Sri Lankan Billionaire, who runs Illston Abbey Cricket Club (?) who wanted to buy the County and build a test stadium for us? As I am not very knowledgeable regarding cricket matters, I presume if his occurred it would be a good thing; or is cricket not like football in that respect ?

"I want there to be a winning mentality and a steeliness about the place. First of all we need a head coach who is going to inspire and motivate the dressing room. Phil Whitticase did his best but it is the right time for a change.

What I don't want is people celebrating when Leicestershire win their first Championship game next year because we have bigger and better ambitions. The club is debt free and in a position to build for the future. In the next five years I want us to become the biggest county outside those with Test match grounds."

Certainly talking the talk......

I love these two statements in particular

Now to walk the walk. Talk is cheap and anyone can say what they want.

Let's hope he can back his words up by the early signs are promising.

Wish I could find the source but wasn't there a Sri Lankan Billionaire, who runs Illston Abbey Cricket Club (?) who wanted to buy the County and build a test stadium for us? As I am not very knowledgeable regarding cricket matters, I presume if his occurred it would be a good thing; or is cricket not like football in that respect ?

Not as easy as that. Gaining international test match status is all down to the ECB and that's why generally all the teams with test match grounds so to speak are the ones that do well in the game.

Looking at how Illston Abbey have dropped down the leagues I'd imagine he's probably not around anymore

The fact that McDonald has no coaching experience means very little for me. He's done pretty much everything in the game so knows everything inside out, in fact he might come up with some fresh ideas to inspire the team. 

As for Wasim Khan, the guy clearly has a vision and if he's still here in 5 years, I can certainly see that vision coming true. 

The fact that McDonald has no coaching experience means very little for me. He's done pretty much everything in the game so knows everything inside out, in fact he might come up with some fresh ideas to inspire the team.

As for Wasim Khan, the guy clearly has a vision and if he's still here in 5 years, I can certainly see that vision coming true.

You've got to start somewhere. He might have fresh ideas. Happy to let him have a chance, he knows the club as well.

Interesting that a few of the players have said Andrew McDonald practically coached Leicestershire to their T20 triumph in 2011. That's how much of an influence he was at the club then, albeit he had some valuable experience around him with Paul Nixon also part of that side.

No chance, he will be in a senior role at the ECB by then. If we get 2 years out of him we will have done well....

I received an email from the club basically begging me to renew my membership in their "new era" yesterday, can't see me ever taking out a membership again after the awful treatment we've received as members over the last 5 years. Good luck to them but I'm just not interested anymore.

Andrew McDonald confirmed as new Head Coach, seems like he will carry on playing state cricket in Australia, interesting to see how that will work.

I don't see it being too much of an issue. The Australian season runs from November to March/ April(?), so he may leave that early to prepare for the season. I assume he'll miss the winter training and tours in the first season then concentrate on coaching totally thereafter.

It's very quiet on the new signings front, Buck, Cobb, Smith, Thackor, Sarwan, Ireland and Thornley have all gone and only McKay and a couple of young lads have come in (not counting Cosgrove until it's official) surely there has to be at least another experienced batsman and bowler added.

Well lets be frank, even with the structure changes Leics is not going be attractive to many players at the moment.

Stephen Peters seemed to be a target but he decided to see out his contract with Northants.

• 3 weeks later...