Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

Not another cricket team on earth that would have lost from that position. We effectively beat them twice and still contrived to lose. And that was a seriously weak Warwickshire team with only one or two recognisable names. Feel totally despondent, as I'm sure the players and staff do.

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’d advocate that Nixon’s time is coming to end 

Probably. It's a shame because he's a icon and the four day team in the shortened seasons in the last two years have been reasonably competitive but the white ball team, after the progress made last year, hasn't kicked on.

This is probably four matches in 20 and 50 over cricket that should've been won and they've fallen short.

I wouldn't give up on Nixon just yet. Not sure we'll get anyone better and certainly not anyone with such a strong bond with the club, which I think is important. Even if there is still a long way to go, things have improved under him. But we were coming from such a low base that it was never going to be a quick turnaround. 

When he took over we had an ageing demoralised team that was nowhere near competitive. We now have a very young side that is holding its own on the whole, even if results are very mixed. Some of the recruitment has been excellent eg the 3 overseas players this year and the likes of Patel. Plus we have exciting youngsters coming through our own academy getting in the team eg Swindells and Ahmed.

I think where Nixon has been found wanting, though, is in selection where he has sometimes stayed loyal to underperforming players for too long eg Dearden last season and Mike this season, whilst not giving other players a fair crack of the whip.

Overall, though, we are making progress and I think there is more to come, so I'd give him more time.

• Like 3

We can't even beat what was effectively a second XL Warwicks side, albeit we are without our usual captain. Still no explanation for Davis and Steel not being in the squad as they played for the seconds the other day. These selection decisions are really puzzling and I wonder if it's to do with contracts behind the scenes.

I agree with Sunbury he deserves another season but he’s in charge of selection and he stays too loyal to some players.

Griffiths needed a break. Mike needs to work on his game to become a decent all rounder but it’s not like there weren’t other options.

The Steel and Davies omissions are the most curious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

As pointed out by Dobell in a great match report yesterday, Lilley has a white ball average of 11. Steel was purposely identified by the stat fella as a white ball expert and he’s farting about in the seconds at the mo 

Lilley is 30, and his career stats are dreadful. Rhodes is 27, and the same applies. We've made a great signing in Rishi Patel, no doubt at all, but we've recruited too many journeymen. Average age of the two teams yesterday was 22 for Warwicks and 26 for us, so we can't use the inexperienced card, and to be fair Nico offered no excuses and cited panic and a lack of professionalism, which is an honest response. I think Dieter and Harry D are out contract this summer, and it is time to say farewell. Felt for Dieter yesterday, as I think he is clearly a top man who gives everything, but he is 32 now, and suffering more and more injuries

47 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

Lilley is 30, and his career stats are dreadful. Rhodes is 27, and the same applies. We've made a great signing in Rishi Patel, no doubt at all, but we've recruited too many journeymen. Average age of the two teams yesterday was 22 for Warwicks and 26 for us, so we can't use the inexperienced card, and to be fair Nico offered no excuses and cited panic and a lack of professionalism, which is an honest response. I think Dieter and Harry D are out contract this summer, and it is time to say farewell. Felt for Dieter yesterday, as I think he is clearly a top man who gives everything, but he is 32 now, and suffering more and more injuries

Surely we'll release Dearden and Klein this summer. Always had a soft spot for Dieter despite his many weaknesses. Love the way he gives his all in every game - and he used to be able to bowl with genuine pace and hostility. Time to move on now, though.

We need more signings like Patel - great prospects who can't break into teams at bigger clubs. Going way back, we used to be brilliant at identifying players like this eg De Freitas, Lewis and Habib, etc.

Picking up journeymen in their late 20s or players in their 30s looking for a final payday is definitely not the way to go.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Surely we'll release Dearden and Klein this summer. Always had a soft spot for Dieter despite his many weaknesses. Love the way he gives his all in every game - and he used to be able to bowl with genuine pace and hostility. Time to move on now, though.

We need more signings like Patel - great prospects who can't break into teams at bigger clubs. Going way back, we used to be brilliant at identifying players like this eg De Freitas, Lewis and Habib, etc.

Picking up journeymen in their late 20s or players in their 30s looking for a final payday is definitely not the way to go.

20 years ago we were good at that as well- DeFreitas coming back, Dev Malcolm, Neil Burns, Claude Henderson all gave us great service. I suppose First Division cricket was a big appeal back then, though.

We're stuck in a difficult place- any youngster who shows real promise is snatched fairly quickly so at least the journeyman may stick around.

• Like 1