Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

2 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

Went to the Hundred games at Lords today. 15,000 at the women’s game. 24,000 at the men’s game. Great atmosphere, very diverse crowd, lots of entertainment. I’m loyal to County because I’ve supported them for 50 years and my Dad used to be Chairman, but in terms of entertainment this was a completely different league. I’ve got a box at Grace Road on Thursday, and whilst the food will be delicious, the comparison in terms of entertainment will, I suspect, be as much of a contrast as is possible. I just don’t really see a future for us aside from sentimentality.

Where was the invite???? 

Fear you are correct and I absolutely loathe what the HUNDRED is about.

Thin end of the wedge.

Went to the Hundred games at Lords today. 15,000 at the women’s game. 24,000 at the men’s game. Great atmosphere, very diverse crowd, lots of entertainment. I’m loyal to County because I’ve supported them for 50 years and my Dad used to be Chairman, but in terms of entertainment this was a completely different league. I’ve got a box at Grace Road on Thursday, and whilst the food will be delicious, the comparison in terms of entertainment will, I suspect, be as much of a contrast as is possible. I just don’t really see a future for us aside from sentimentality.

I've got tickets for Lords this coming Tuesday, purely because my son showed some interest, and actually they've made it very affordable for kids (£5). I'll reserve judgement, but I'm not sure how the lack of emotional connection to a side will go.

7 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

I've got tickets for Lords this coming Tuesday, purely because my son showed some interest, and actually they've made it very affordable for kids (£5). I'll reserve judgement, but I'm not sure how the lack of emotional connection to a side will go.

Good point regards emotional connection. Clearly with football this could not happen. I barely remain engaged with England; the City are everything. With cricket it’s different. I always look for the County score, but perhaps it’s because we’ve been so poor for so long, I just don’t have the same intensity. I just enjoyed the event at Lords yesterday. Fascinating to see the women’s game improving, and the men’s match went to the last ball. Incidentally Inglis played very well but arguably threw the game away when a misjudged reverse ramp went well set to see London Spirit home.

Hope you and your lad enjoy Tuesday. There were loads of families in attendance yesterday which was great to see

11 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

Isn't that an unfair comparison, though? The Hundred will always have better players because there are fewer teams with no restrictions (in terms of signing players) and the top players apart from India's have been made available. If you put Carlos Brathwaite and Jonny Bairstow in the Leicestershire team then they'd be more entertaining.

The Hundred will always have quality cricket because it has quality cricketers. The One-Day Cup has, in effect, become a second team event for the Test counties and the poorer counties aren't up to standard anyway.

As I said before, I think we're drifting along towards being quietly slipped out of first-class cricket but franchise cricket is not the way forward. Fans love going to outgrounds and you'll have East Anglia, The North East and the South West excluded.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

The Hundred is sh it and all those who are supporting it or like it are complicit in killing the county game.

Think about the consequences of your actions before attending.

It's still cricket, however they are packaging it. Individuals aren't responsible for this, it's purely the decisions made by the ECB to seek out extra revenue and a new audience. Personally I'll always support Leics and England in more traditional forms of game as that's where I have memories and connections that get me excited. I can't get excited about The Hundred as I see it as manufactured. The only only benefit I can see from it is that it might bring in more younger fans and they will then develop an interest in other forms of cricket as they get older. 

But the way they have everything scheduled can't work long term. You can't have four different competitions in one cricket season, as well as all the international cricket...something will have to give.

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

The Hundred is sh it and all those who are supporting it or like it are complicit in killing the county game.

Think about the consequences of your actions before attending.

Say what you really think! Well this week I’m supporting the Hundred and Country cricket, paying to watch both.

For Leicestershire, though, I struggle to see a future. When I went to a couple of days of 4 day cricket earlier this season I personally had a lovely time. But about 300 people attended, I felt young aged 55, and the atmosphere, at best, was moribund. I do not see how Leicestershire can survive as anything other than a charity project reliant on ECB handouts unless something radical happens (like a multi millionaire supporter deciding to bankroll it, and this seems unlikely). Sorry to be so gloomy, but I feel County has been on the slow road to decaysville for about 10 years.

46 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

Say what you really think! Well this week I’m supporting the Hundred and Country cricket, paying to watch both.

For Leicestershire, though, I struggle to see a future. When I went to a couple of days of 4 day cricket earlier this season I personally had a lovely time. But about 300 people attended, I felt young aged 55, and the atmosphere, at best, was moribund. I do not see how Leicestershire can survive as anything other than a charity project reliant on ECB handouts unless something radical happens (like a multi millionaire supporter deciding to bankroll it, and this seems unlikely). Sorry to be so gloomy, but I feel County has been on the slow road to decaysville for about 10 years.

So what happens when all the international stars go home, the county game lies in ruins and the ECB realise there are no academies left and no young players coming through?

What about all the members who love going to support their county regardless of results?

1 hour ago, MaidstoneFox said:

It's still cricket, however they are packaging it. Individuals aren't responsible for this, it's purely the decisions made by the ECB to seek out extra revenue and a new audience. Personally I'll always support Leics and England in more traditional forms of game as that's where I have memories and connections that get me excited. I can't get excited about The Hundred as I see it as manufactured. The only only benefit I can see from it is that it might bring in more younger fans and they will then develop an interest in other forms of cricket as they get older. 

But the way they have everything scheduled can't work long term. You can't have four different competitions in one cricket season, as well as all the international cricket...something will have to give.

If they actually have a team they can support, which most of the country don't...

The issue appears to be four day cricket. The Blast gets excellent crowds, Grace Road has been packed on many occasions and it still appeals to a lot of fans of all ages. The County won Championships with low attendances- it hasn't always correlated with performances.

We've got to stop worrying about how many people go and watch Championship games. It should be about providing players with the chance to play first-class cricket in the hope of developing them into international players. As has been mentioned, we've provided Broad and Taylor would've had many opportunities to play for England. 

What we need is the chance to develop a good young squad in all formats and keep them together for a while or bring in proper compensation when they are snatched by the Test counties. What good does it do Leicestershire to nurture a player, play for a year or two then bugger off elsewhere. Part of the problem has been location- we'll never get International cricket due to the close proximity to Trent Bridge and Edgbaston whereas Hampshire and Durham, and now Glamorgan, have miles of space to build and upgrade to International arenas and attract players who 20 years ago wouldn't have gone there.

When Leicestershire, and others, get 300 for the Blast- that's the time to really worry. If anything, the first class and List A games need to be separated and judged on their own merits.

• Like 2

18 first class counties is not too many, whether we should be one of them still is another question.

Essex have proven what can be done when all the pieces of the jigsaw fall into place. 
LCCC need a strong academy and opportunities for prospects to play.

I enjoy watching the county, the two one day cup games have been played in front of a healthy crowd as would the T20 if it wasn’t for the restrictions.

• Like 1

I'm sad to say but I think in 50 years multi day cricket will be a thing of the past. Perhaps far sooner.

Certainly for us we'll probably be a first class white ball only county before too long which I believe the ECB have been mooting as a means to cull the County Championship. I reckon within ten years we'll only see four day cricket at the current test match venues though the likes of us will be thriving on t20 only, following the Somerset model where selling out your Blast matches funds the whole club.

This is a bit of a pessimistic view but I think that the majority of kids only like short format cricket now, this is happening worldwide and being exacerbated by the likes of the ECB only marketing short format cricket at them.

31 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

the likes of us will be thriving on t20 only, following the Somerset model where selling out your Blast matches funds the whole club.

Not totally up on the finances, but isn’t this basically the case already, albeit without selling out?

Edited by when_you're_smiling
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

I'm sad to say but I think in 50 years multi day cricket will be a thing of the past. Perhaps far sooner.

Certainly for us we'll probably be a first class white ball only county before too long which I believe the ECB have been mooting as a means to cull the County Championship. I reckon within ten years we'll only see four day cricket at the current test match venues though the likes of us will be thriving on t20 only, following the Somerset model where selling out your Blast matches funds the whole club.

This is a bit of a pessimistic view but I think that the majority of kids only like short format cricket now, this is happening worldwide and being exacerbated by the likes of the ECB only marketing short format cricket at them.

Somerset also get crowds of around 3k every day at Championship cricket

2 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

So what happens when all the international stars go home, the county game lies in ruins and the ECB realise there are no academies left and no young players coming through?

What about all the members who love going to support their county regardless of results?

Why would the County game lie in ruins? There may be a reduction in first class counties, and I fear we may not survive, but I think 12 might be a viable number. As for all the members, I’m afraid Leicestershire has about 1,300 (I think). Whilst it would be sad for them, of course, and I am one of them, I can’t see this as a viable future - I would love to be wrong!

3 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

No, ECB funding accounts for about 60% of County’s income. It hasn’t been self sufficient in donkeys years

But shouldn't the ECB fund the clubs that produce a lot of the young players that become available for selection for the National Team?

3 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

The models at Taunton, Canterbury and Chelmsford are excellent. Less so Northampton, Derby and Leicester.

Notice though that there is a distinct lack of competition for those counties compared with us having both top flight football and rugby teams in the city. Not sure what Derbs and Northants excuses are mind...

5 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

The models at Taunton, Canterbury and Chelmsford are excellent. Less so Northampton, Derby and Leicester.

Kent routinely give away tickets through the local village clubs. I don't have a problem with it; but that may help to explain

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

But shouldn't the ECB fund the clubs that produce a lot of the young players that become available for selection for the National Team?

Perhaps that's how funding should be determined. It should relate to the number of England players nurtured over a certain timespan. If we can help the likes of Rishi Patel and young Rehaz to become England players, then there should be some reward for that. Actually, now I've written that I think it is the case already. We get some kind of reward every time Broady plays for England I think. If we become a genuine academy, you can argue our case much better. If we just become a dumping ground for second class players who really are not going to make it, not so much. Somerset, for example, who frankly seem by far the best run non Test County, seem to churn out dozens of quality players, but I guess they can draw on players from Cornwall, Dorset and Devon as well as their own County. It's always frustrated me that in Leicestershire at least 50,000 people love their local sport enough to pay to watch the City or the Tigers. You'd assume a decent percentage of them have some fondness for cricket too, yet we all know how much of a struggle it is to get a decent crowd at Grace Road.

5 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

Before or after the Covid restrictions? 4 day cricket will always a necessary as along as the test cricket keeps running. 

The T20 crowds were total sell outs under the available capacities and one of the home crowds was very good for the One Day Trophy. 

3 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

As along as a World Cup functions, feeds the ICC financially well and it serves the bridge between T20 to List A stuff which could be increasingly important if the development of the game across the world continues. The World Cups are organised until 2031. 

2 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

Notice though that there is a distinct lack of competition for those counties compared with us having both top flight football and rugby teams in the city. Not sure what Derbs and Northants excuses are mind...

Northampton have a top flight rugby team who finished above the Tigers and get crowds around the 10 to 12 k mark. When you visit Taunton, it's obviously clear why the country does so well. Although they deserve a lot of praise for their work in developing players and attracting players to come in for T20. 

Miles from any competition which helps. Canterbury and Taunton no where near any franchise and even other counties are some distance away. 

Edgbaston and Trent Bridge so close to us

The CC has to be a necessary way of providing long term cricket to help the England team in test cricket. 

For me what's telling when England whitewashed India to become the top test playing side in the world back in 2011, from the players England used they started their careers at 12 differing county teams. 

By contrast in the midst of some appalling test performances, the current test squad for the India series is made up from players who started at 8 different county teams. 

I don't think I could make a better case for ensuring that first class county cricket remains in its traditional form of 18 counties with maximum coverage for club talents to be picked up by county teams. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1