Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

I'm coming round to the opinion that that we need a new coach. A season of missed opportunities. They just don't seem to come into games match-ready and only start winning games when the pressure is off and it's too late. And then the selection of players is baffling and sometimes has no obvious link to performance. I just don't see where we are going with him. We have a project to develop younger players, but is he the right person to do this and is he managing them effectively? I don't think so.

4 hours ago, everton carr said:

Takes Richard Rae 10 Minutes to realise that it was Mike and not Parky that was the wicket to fall then says we have avoided the follow on when we were trailing by 159 ffs

I know it was brilliant. 

Bloody he'll I was laughing how many we trail by is at the bottom of the screen also. 🤣 

Looked a bit dodgy that lbw

5 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

I'm coming round to the opinion that that we need a new coach. A season of missed opportunities. They just don't seem to come into games match-ready and only start winning games when the pressure is off and it's too late. And then the selection of players is baffling and sometimes has no obvious link to performance. I just don't see where we are going with him. We have a project to develop younger players, but is he the right person to do this and is he managing them effectively? I don't think so.

You may well be right. We’re always playing catch up, and sadly playing Ben Mike at the moment is like playing with 10 men. Let’s have a look at Steel who scored decently for 2s last week and can bowl some spin. 

The continued selection of Mike is baffling. He rarely bowls (and when he does he is generally carted around the ground) and his batting is not good enough to justify batting as high as 7; he rarely gets more than around 15-20 runs. He is an excellent fielder but can we justify picking someone for their fielding alone?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, everton carr said:

According to a post on the Kim Jones cricket forum Dearden and  Klein have left the club and Steel Rhodes and Griffiths are free to leave if they find new Counties

Good to clear out some deadwood (Klein was decent at one time but those days are long gone) so that is welcome news. Problem is that no other county will be daft enough to take Rhodes or Griffiths off our hands so we're probably stuck with them. Steel leaving already is an odd one, though - makes you think it is for reasons other than purely cricketing ones as he did okay in the T20 matches and then was completely frozen out.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, everton carr said:

According to a post on the Kim Jones cricket forum Dearden and  Klein have left the club and Steel Rhodes and Griffiths are free to leave if they find new Counties

Interesting. The Rhodes signing was extraordinary. He had no decent stats and was given a 3.5 year contract. Sadly the bloke has delivered nothing at first team level. 

Steel must have annoyed the top brass. This can’t be for cricketing reasons.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Good to clear out some deadwood (Klein was dwithecent at one time but those days are long gone) so that is welcome news. Problem is that no other county will be daft enough to take Rhodes or Griffiths off our hands so we're probably stuck with them. Steel leaving already is an odd one, though - makes you think it is for reasons other than purely cricketing ones as he did okay in the T20 matches and then was completely frozen out.

Yep according to the post Steel has had a big bust up with the club

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Good to clear out some deadwood (Klein was decent at one time but those days are long gone) so that is welcome news. Problem is that no other county will be daft enough to take Rhodes or Griffiths off our hands so we're probably stuck with them. Steel leaving already is an odd one, though - makes you think it is for reasons other than purely cricketing ones as he did okay in the T20 matches and then was completely frozen out.

I agree with what's being said about players leaving or being allowed to leave, but why do we keep having these bust-ups, it's such a waste of the limited resources we have. I really would like a coach who has the experience to manage players as individuals. Graham Ford would have been ideal or a Duncan Fletcher type. Not tyros like Pierre de Bruyn and now Nicko. Don't get be wrong I love Nicko and all he has done for the county, but I think he is headstrong, inflexible and lacks subtlety/strategic thinking. 

On the subject of Ben Mike, he averages 23 with bat and 46 with the ball in red ball cricket this season. To my mind he should be coming in at number 9, but is not actually good enough to get in the side as a bowler. I know the idea is that he needs games and will kick on, but he seems to be getting worse and Barnes is doing better with the bat now, but would be play him at 7? 

Edited by MaidstoneFox
  • Like 1

I thought Mike had potential and would be looking to crack on this season.

Unfortunately he's struggled. If he was batting at 8 or 9 then his batting is acceptable. His bowling is just so expensive though, he's routinely carted in all three formats. The fact we've two bowlers even more expensive in the Championship this season (Klein and Griffiths) tells you all you need to know about our attack as well.

With his power hitting and fielding he could be a real asset in white ball cricket if he tightened up his bowling drastically. Equally in four day games he does bowl the odd spell containing some unplayable deliveries, but he bowls far more poor balls destined for the boundary.

Can't help but feel he needs something else coaching wise to develop. Right now Barnes looks a better bowling all rounder with bat and ball.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

I thought Mike had potential and would be looking to crack on this season.

Unfortunately he's struggled. If he was batting at 8 or 9 then his batting is acceptable. His bowling is just so expensive though, he's routinely carted in all three formats. The fact we've two bowlers even more expensive in the Championship this season (Klein and Griffiths) tells you all you need to know about our attack as well.

With his power hitting and fielding he could be a real asset in white ball cricket if he tightened up his bowling drastically. Equally in four day games he does bowl the odd spell containing some unplayable deliveries, but he bowls far more poor balls destined for the boundary.

Can't help but feel he needs something else coaching wise to develop. Right now Barnes looks a better bowling all rounder with bat and ball.

There is, as you say, talent there. Maybe it will be harnessed better in white ball cricket, but I just think he needs better coaching, like lots of the team do.

Another gripe I have is that we have too many players who can only play one format of cricket, so if he did go down that route, he'd just add to the list

• Like 1