Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

31 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Looks like we're desperate to get Stevens to his 100.:facepalm:

If Stevens had played anywhere near this level in his final year with us - when he couldn't buy a run, and there was no sign of him becoming the demon bowler that he eventually became ....:dry: .... then I suppose this one-man anti-LCCC crusade that he's now on, would never have happened.  I think DS conveniently forgets his poor form in his final stages here, but loves trotting out the "they released me..." line.

Evans and Azzad both decent on their day but as a combination awful. Basically just let the bowlers bowl at them, don't having a scoring shot between them. 

New ball a decent chance to score runs in the modern game. 

Got to at least attempt to take the game to opposition. 

Just a matter of time if your just going to stand there poking at it. Even the defence shots look tentative. 

Where is Patel? 

2 minutes ago, Cake said:

Evans and Azzad both decent on their day but as a combination awful. Basically just let the bowlers bowl at them, don't having a scoring shot between them. 

Just a matter of time if your just going to stand there poking at it. Even the defence shots look tentative. 

Where is Patel? 

I think Patel is injured sadly. Both openers gone within moments. Both LBW, and both absolutely plumb I would suggest

10 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Apart from Swindells and Hill; who really has actually improved over the last couple of years?

Azad and Ackermann are in a slow decline.

Not many. Parkinson much better. Barnes looks a good player. Patel is a good player. Kimber OK I think so in that regard recruitment been better. 

However Evans the bowler, Nat Bowley are no where near this level. Same could be said for Griffiths, Dearden, Rhodes, Klein. They are just dead ducks nobody else would want. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Apart from Swindells and Hill; who really has actually improved over the last couple of years?

Azad and Ackermann are in a slow decline.

Azad is in steep decline.

Barnes, Parky and arguably Davis have improved as well as Swindells and Hill. And I do think Patel will be a good signing and Kimber has promise. 

Without Harris, though, our batting looks woefully vulnerable. 2 openers who have virtually no scoring shots, an out of form Ackermann, who has struggled with the bat this season, someone making their red ball debut at 5 and from then on everyone is batting at least one place higher than they should be.

7 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Barnes, Parky and arguably Davis have improved as well as Swindells and Hill. And I do think Patel will be a good signing and Kimber has promise. 

Without Harris, though, our batting looks woefully vulnerable. 2 openers who have virtually no scoring shots, an out of form Ackermann, who has struggled with the bat this season, someone making their red ball debut at 5 and from then on everyone is batting at least one place higher than they should be.

I think Parky is about where he was; which is decent enough for us certainly.

Barnes has his moments; but I'm still not convinced. Davis definitely has improved. Probably worth persevering with both.

Patel does show a lot of promise and is lovely to watch.

Kimber seems to be one who has a lot of muscle and can destroy second teams; but again... I'm not sure.

Nearly a comedy run out now. Wow.

First time I've actually given genuine thought to whether those calling for us to be relegated to minor county status may have a point.

The players aren't bad enough to embarrass themselves like this that often. 

Must be something absolutely rotten within the club.

45 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

First time I've actually given genuine thought to whether those calling for us to be relegated to minor county status may have a point.

The players aren't bad enough to embarrass themselves like this that often. 

Must be something absolutely rotten within the club.

Of course they have a point.

I've said it many times and been laughed off, but why do we have more of a right than some absolutely huge counties (size and prestige wise) to just stay bottom every season.

Usual response is that it would take too long to get a 'Division 3' up to scratch and able to spend/make money, but someone like Oxfordshire or Cambridgeshire (who i'd bet have lovely grounds) could attract players and crowds for sure.

I think turning minor counties into a division 3 would be a great move, you might get plenty of yo-yoing but at least it would force crap division two sides to be more competitive. 

2 hours ago, Cake said:

Where is Patel? 

Well when I said this I didn't envisage quite such a pathetic display. Swindells playing Milnes like Malcolm Marshall in his pomp! Decent but his 85mph at best

I also think Mike has improved still a bit raw but has spirit. His batting has alot of potential. 

Edited by Cake

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Some of this is natural progression as young players get stronger, more experienced and know their game, but there's been little progression and indeed regression with a number of players. Some players just have a ceiling of course and it is tough batting in English conditions, but other counties just seem to develop their players and not have as many bust-ups. We have had Dearden here for 3 or 4 years and he made no improvement whatsoever. Ben Mike seems to have problems with his delivery - it's too open and inconsistent - while we have two openers who can only play half the games, but could they work on their skills to develop into white ball cricketers? I don't know I'm not a cricket coach. But this is hardly a great Kent attack and we are being skittled, while Scott Steel gets 70 and and 60 not for the seconds, but can't play because he's fallen out with somebody (honestly just have a few beers and bloody sort it out). Will we end up cancelling his contract as well, like we did with Carberry?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Some of this is natural progression as young players get stronger, more experienced and know their game, but there's been little progression and indeed regression with a number of players. Some players just have a ceiling of course and it is tough batting in English conditions, but other counties just seem to develop their players and not have as many bust-ups. We have had Dearden here for 3 or 4 years and he made no improvement whatsoever. Ben Mike seems to have problems with his delivery - it's too open and inconsistent - while we have two openers who can only play half the games, but could they work on their skills to develop into white ball cricketers? I don't know I'm not a cricket coach. But this is hardly a great Kent attack and we are being skittled, while Scott Steel gets 70 and and 60 not for the seconds, but can't play because he's fallen out with somebody (honestly just have a few beers and bloody sort it out). Will we end up cancelling his contract as well, like we did with Carberry?

Agree, I think some of the progression is almost inevitable. Not to completely denigrate our coaching.

Do you ever go to Canterbury mate? Can't remember if we've discussed this before.

3 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Agree, I think some of the progression is almost inevitable. Not to completely denigrate our coaching.

Do you ever go to Canterbury mate? Can't remember if we've discussed this before.

Only a couple of times, though I sometimes wonder about retiring to Canterbury in the future and spending summers watching the cricket. I've actually seen more at the Oval and Lords in recent years. Kent are a good example, although they have a bigger talent pool, they seem to improve their players more (those that want to, i.e. not Matt Coles) and Matt Milnes in this game is evidence of this.