Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

1 minute ago, harpendenfox said:

I think it’s fair to say our bowling group improved significantly under Matt Mason’s coaching a few years ago. Clearly good coaching is essential, and you wonder if our set simply isn’t good enough

I agree, mindset, preparation, bowling plans just don't seem to be right. The lower order are scoring runs against the change bowlers, but the pressure is off, nothing to play for.

Ben Mike seemed to play better for Warwickshire, when he went on loan to then, but maybe that's just my perception.

17 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Only a couple of times, though I sometimes wonder about retiring to Canterbury in the future and spending summers watching the cricket. I've actually seen more at the Oval and Lords in recent years. Kent are a good example, although they have a bigger talent pool, they seem to improve their players more (those that want to, i.e. not Matt Coles) and Matt Milnes in this game is evidence of this.

I've been trying to support Kent with a bit of Corporate stuff and they are an absolute shambles at replying. 

I do like to get down there; but they are getting £15 for me to get in and could easily get more... if they only tried!

Lets not let this obfuscate what has been a bit of a shambles of a performance but this umpire (Watts) has been horrific for us. Just about every LBW appeal against us given and looked very very harsh; and then some turned down against Kent looked absolute plum.

The decision against Wright just now is an absolute joke. Even at full speed it was clear as day he was absolutely nowhere near the ball.

4 hours ago, Stadt said:
Darren Stevens (rhb) 107 70 13 6

Stevens facing our bowling like it's a white ball game 

:nigel:

I know he's a great pro but it's embarrassing that a 46 year old is whacking hundreds in professional cricket.

What a dreadful performance this has been since they were 116-7 on the first day.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I feel like there are no greater proponents of this than Leicestershire supporters themselves sometimes. Today's been a disgrace and there are clearly major structural problems, but we've still managed to win or be competitive against some big sides this season who we've not played for years.

We still have a lot to offer professional cricket in this country - and it'd be mad for the establishment to effectively shut down a club which has a) arguably the UK's most prominent Asian population and therefore a potentially huge talent pool,  and b) has two of the most notorious cricketer-producing private schools, and Loughborough University, on its patch. I don't say that in an arrogant "oh, it'll never happen" way because I genuinely fear it's the ECB's aim, but the potential loss to the game could still be huge when you look at some of the unexpected careers we've launched even since we began our arguable decline from the glory years 15-20 years ago.

I fully agree with the principle that the cricket pyramid should be more open (that's how you actually grow the game, rather than the suicidal centralisation policy the ECB seem hell bent on). But there's a reason only one Minor County has been promoted in the last century or so - it's a huge step up both on and off the pitch.

The Top 18 v Minor Counties friendlies were a great initiative this year (though sadly many were cancelled), but we should be going back to the old One-Day Cup format to include those counties and see how genuinely they can compete against the likes of us.

I agree. There's no reason for the ECB to relegate or shut down any first class county, while they are competing, bringing in crowds and developing players and cricket in the area and community. It could be that more and more focus is shone on the eight or expanded ten city franchises across potentially two competitions. But I don't see the counties going away, even under that worst case scenario they would become more talent generators and preservers of four day cricket for the national side. Their financial status is pretty secure now with the Hundred TV deal and this might be increased with two competitions and ten teams.

Our 2nd innings scorecard looks upside down.

Massive credit due to the bowlers, especially Barnes and Mike who showed the top order how it should have been done and batted with some real aplomb to salvage a meagre element of pride. The fact our top 6 were collectively outscored by the extras column is shameful.

Barnes up to 3/4? (Not sure if I'm joking or not...).

Edited by CrawlingFox

7 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I feel like there are no greater proponents of this than Leicestershire supporters themselves sometimes. Today's been a disgrace and there are clearly major structural problems, but we've still managed to win or be competitive against some big sides this season who we've not played for years.

We still have a lot to offer professional cricket in this country - and it'd be mad for the establishment to effectively shut down a club which has a) arguably the UK's most prominent Asian population and therefore a potentially huge talent pool,  and b) has two of the most notorious cricketer-producing private schools, and Loughborough University, on its patch. I don't say that in an arrogant "oh, it'll never happen" way because I genuinely fear it's the ECB's aim, but the potential loss to the game could still be huge when you look at some of the unexpected careers we've launched even since we began our arguable decline from the glory years 15-20 years ago.

I fully agree with the principle that the cricket pyramid should be more open (that's how you actually grow the game, rather than the suicidal centralisation policy the ECB seem hell bent on). But there's a reason only one Minor County has been promoted in the last century or so - it's a huge step up both on and off the pitch.

The Top 18 v Minor Counties friendlies were a great initiative this year (though sadly many were cancelled), but we should be going back to the old One-Day Cup format to include those counties and see how genuinely they can compete against the likes of us.

Arguably though the only home grown players we’ve produced in the last 10 years or so are Sam Evans and Lewis Hill. There may have been others I’ve forgotten of course. 

7 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

Arguably though the only home grown players we’ve produced in the last 10 years or so are Sam Evans and Lewis Hill. There may have been others I’ve forgotten of course. 

Swindells too. Though I agree, it's not a great track record.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Swindells too. Though I agree, it's not a great track record.

Of course. Silly me. And he has made good progress this season, at least until this week. 

The apparent lack of grit and determination by the top six in both knocks against Kent feels particularly disheartening. As if we weren’t really up for it. None of them got above 18 in the first innings. 5 was the top score in the second 

It is really sad to see what has happened to County but we are now so far behind nearly all of the other Counties. We moan about the test match ground counties having too much money but then there are other counties like Kent, Sussex, Essex and Somerset who still manage to have numerous current and former England players in their ranks. Even counties like Worcs and Gloucestershire are much better than us - I guess largely because they are better run. In the absence of substantial new investment, and a massive clear out, I think only Derbyshire and Northants are at a similar level to us and Northants have generally been more competitive over recent years. 

2 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

It is really sad to see what has happened to County but we are now so far behind nearly all of the other Counties. We moan about the test match ground counties having too much money but then there are other counties like Kent, Sussex, Essex and Somerset who still manage to have numerous current and former England players in their ranks. Even counties like Worcs and Gloucestershire are much better than us - I guess largely because they are better run. In the absence of substantial new investment, and a massive clear out, I think only Derbyshire and Northants are at a similar level to us and Northants have generally been more competitive over recent years. 

I went to Chelmsford last night to watch the Women’s T20i. Their ground holds about 6,000, and is arguably in even worse nick than ours, but Essex have been consistently excellent. Really enjoyed last night by the way, about 4000 in and a super atmosphere. There is a one at Leicester in a couple of weeks. Our women’s team is excellent - do go along if you can fellow Foxes, you might even be able to support a winning team!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

I've been trying to support Kent with a bit of Corporate stuff and they are an absolute shambles at replying. 

I do like to get down there; but they are getting £15 for me to get in and could easily get more... if they only tried!

My son lives in Canterbury so I've been a few times lately, worse state of affairs than us off the field. I ended up going in for nothing and had to literally hold my hand up to tell them I hadn't paid yet. No food. Beer was delayed and the Wooly Stand is basically falling down. 

They lost 600 k last year so not in great shape  

Lovely ground and City, good White ball side side but off the field not good, worse facilities than we have  

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Even Derbyshire and definitely Northants are doing better in developing players. Critchley has come on this year as have their young bowlers, Aitchison and Connors, while Reece has made great strides since his move from Lancs. Northants have developed numerous discards and minor county players over the last few years. But there is a new academy head this year at Leics, so hopefully he'll start to bring more players through in time.

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tbf it’s not been a particularly easy time for the Chief Exec to carry that out since he’s been in situ. Events like Monday’s was a good step forward 

They are advertising for a new Head of Marketing at the moment, so let's hope they get a good'un. Simple things might help. When I've been this season the tannoy announcer always sounds on the verge of despair (perhaps he's a fan too). I watched a bit of a game at Taunton a while back, and the announcer was upbeat and sunny. I'm not suggesting for a moment I want a woop wool kind of vibe, but this little things matter in terms of trying to build a more positive and welcoming atmosphere - or indeed any kind of atmosphere

16 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

They are advertising for a new Head of Marketing at the moment, so let's hope they get a good'un. Simple things might help. When I've been this season the tannoy announcer always sounds on the verge of despair (perhaps he's a fan too). I watched a bit of a game at Taunton a while back, and the announcer was upbeat and sunny. I'm not suggesting for a moment I want a woop wool kind of vibe, but this little things matter in terms of trying to build a more positive and welcoming atmosphere - or indeed any kind of atmosphere

Quite evident even in the commentary of the YouTube streams what counties are more savvy. Remember the Middlesex Championship game and it was genuinely two engaging gents, full of passion. That’s for a county which has real problems as well behind the scenes. 

If you look at Leics CCC backroom, there’s a lot of names from people who used to work at City or Tigers aka past it.

Take a look at some of the ‘banter’ between Worcs and Warwicks with their T20. Bit cringe but some of it was genuinely funny getting Worcs mascot to stroll around Birmingham 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox