Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

33 minutes ago, everton carr said:

Nice to see a good crowd in yesterday must have been at least 150

I think they are in worse shape than we are to be honest. 

If we can win this. If! Then beat at least one more it's measured progress! 

I know that's not saying much but something to hold on to. 

47 minutes ago, chrishlcfc said:

From the bits that I’ve seen the pitch looks poor. I know they were 50 odd for 5 and that was a super effort by the bowlers. The pitch looks too flat and docile. Absolutely nothing in it for the bowlers, not even any spin. Made for a pretty boring game.

It is a very poor surface. 

Has any body been watching "You guys are History" on sky? 

Got me to thinking just how few black cricketers there are now in the county system, and indeed locally. 

When I started playing in the 70s their were so many Caribbean sides in the Midlands, Leicester, Birmingham and Notts. Had some fantastic times including touring with the Barbados Overseas Cricket Asociation based in the Kent/London border. 

So many guys with Caribbean heritage like Daffy and Devon, Roland Butcher, Monty Lynch Gladstone Small, Dean Hedley etc played county cricket and then International cricket. 

Remember those tests against the West Indies. Great atmosphere. Cricket is duller without that enthusiasm. All the counties seemed to have a windies quick, we had Andy Roberts. 

While cricket is so popular with the South Asian communities over the years it seems we have lost this link with the Caribbean. Really sad. I hope Ebony Rainford Brent's initiative can re light that interest. 

24 minutes ago, Cake said:

Has any body been watching "You guys are History" on sky? 

Got me to thinking just how few black cricketers there are now in the county system, and indeed locally. 

When I started playing in the 70s their were so many Caribbean sides in the Midlands, Leicester, Birmingham and Notts. Had some fantastic times including touring with the Barbados Overseas Cricket Asociation based in the Kent/London border. 

So many guys with Caribbean heritage like Daffy and Devon, Roland Butcher, Monty Lynch Gladstone Small, Dean Hedley etc played county cricket and then International cricket. 

Remember those tests against the West Indies. Great atmosphere. Cricket is duller without that enthusiasm. All the counties seemed to have a windies quick, we had Andy Roberts. 

While cricket is so popular with the South Asian communities over the years it seems we have lost this link with the Caribbean. Really sad. I hope Ebony Rainford Brent's initiative can re light that interest. 

Sadly Cricket seems dead in the Caribbean.Watched some of the CPL T20 game the other day looked about 300 at the ground

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, everton carr said:

Sadly Cricket seems dead in the Caribbean.Watched some of the CPL T20 game the other day looked about 300 at the ground

Think there are still Covid restrictions in place across much of the region? Those games were buzzing pre-pandemic.

The idea that West Indians aren't interested in cricket now is wide of the mark. It's still the most popular sport in the Caribbean and they still produce world class short format players (would have them among the favourites for the T20 World Cup). But we only judge them on their Test record.

Anyway, pleasing end to the day even if it's probably too little, too late. Really was nowt in that pitch so we did well in the end. Get them back in early doors tomorrow and who knows...

• Like 1