Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

I went to watch the Bollywood film called 83 about India's 1983 World Cup win against all the odds. 

It features a segment on Grace Road where India played their second match against Zimbabwe.

Being before my time, it was quite surreal to think that we've hosted top level international cricket here in Leicester. Out of interest, did anyone go to this game (or either of the 1999 WC ones)? 

Watching some of the other smaller grounds from that tournament too like Chelmsford and even Turnbridge Wells (where Kapil Dev broke the ODI innings record), it makes me quite sad how cricket in this country has sold its soul. 

While we get the occasional tour match and I appreciate women's cricket is growing, there's not a chance in hell grounds like Grace Road will host a major tournament again. Money nowadays will always dictate the capacity stadiums are chosen, thus favouring the biggest counties. 

Yes there's more revenue but that character from teams travelling around the country and seeing the biggest stars come and play in your town, it's such a shame that generations won't experience it.

Edited by TK95
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, TK95 said:

I went to watch the Bollywood film called 83 about India's 1983 World Cup win against all the odds. 

It features a segment on Grace Road where India played their second match against Zimbabwe.

Being before my time, it was quite surreal to think that we've hosted top level international cricket here in Leicester. Out of interest, did anyone go to this game (or either of the 1999 WC ones)? 

Watching some of the other smaller grounds from that tournament too like Chelmsford and even Turnbridge Wells (where Kapil Dev broke the ODI innings record), it makes me quite sad how cricket in this country has sold its soul. 

While we get the occasional tour match and I appreciate women's cricket is growing, there's not a chance in hell grounds like Grace Road will host a major tournament again. Money nowadays will always dictate the capacity stadiums are chosen, thus favouring the biggest counties. 

Yes there's more revenue but that character from teams travelling around the country and seeing the biggest stars come and play in your town, it's such a shame that generations won't experience it.

I'd go further than terrible and say it's also poor for the game as many fewer are the kids who get to go and watch these big stars. Compounded further of course as it's not on free to air TV either.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2022 at 02:19, TK95 said:

I went to the Scotland West Indies game at Grace Road in 1999, with three mates. Decent crowd in.

(from memory) Scotland won the toss, batted first and got skittled out for about 60! West Indies knocked them off in about 40 minutes. Waste of a day.

We’d sneaked a three litre lemonade bottle in filled with vodka, but only got to drink about a third of it before the match was over.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

Good news, hopefully he can stay fit as he's a good all formats bowler.

Bowling line up looks so much better this year with Mulder joining.

Parkinson, Wright, Mulder, Davis, Barnes, Mike, Ahmed and Ackerman is the strongest we’ve had in a long time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Bowling line up looks so much better this year with Mulder joining.

Parkinson, Wright, Mulder, Davis, Barnes, Mike, Ahmed and Ackerman is the strongest we’ve had in a long time.

And Scriven, how could I forget lol 

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Mike might struggle for a game then

Mike is interesting.

Capable of the odd great knock with the bat and an occasional unplayable spell with the ball.

For more often out cheaply and consistently outrageously expensive with the ball in all formats.

There is a player there but maybe he should concentrate on one skill. Would probably have him focus on his batting as he's just so expensive with the ball. He's shown at different times he can defend well or attack with some powerful shots so could be potential there.