Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

20 minutes ago, chrishlcfc said:

Again a good start and the wheels have fell off. Must say I didn’t think much to Hendricks when he played against England a couple of years ago. Still looks decidedly average.

Yeah. He got it down there last week, quite pacey.. I'm not watching at the moment but clearly not exactly pulling trees up. Got a decent record tbf. Think he got 5 wkts against England? 

May come good. Hopefully.........

Pre season was poor, and the first few days of the season have been poor. Our recruitment strategy appears non existent as we add bowler after bowler to our second team. We’ve fallen behind similar sized clubs like Derby, Northants and Glamorgan. Glamorgan have Labuschange  at three for goodness sake. We have George Rhodes.

I hope I am wrong, but I feel very pessimistic about this season. I really do.

• Like 1

I do worry about this season.

We seem to have an absolute boatload of average players.

Mulder will help but if we have to go into the next games without Wright and Hill then I think we're seriously weakened. Without them I just don't see a batting lineup that will consistently threaten 300. And I don't see an attack that will bowl anyone out for less than 300 either. Even with them I'm not sure we'd be threatening either as well.

10 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

I do worry about this season.

We seem to have an absolute boatload of average players.

Mulder will help but if we have to go into the next games without Wright and Hill then I think we're seriously weakened. Without them I just don't see a batting lineup that will consistently threaten 300. And I don't see an attack that will bowl anyone out for less than 300 either. Even with them I'm not sure we'd be threatening either as well.

Not sure that’s fair. George Rhodes is averaging 4.6 batting at 3 and even his dad didn’t want to keep him around at Worcs. You might think 4.6 isn’t very good but if he plays every game he will end up with about 150 runs for the season. You just want the moon on a stick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Not sure that’s fair. George Rhodes is averaging 4.6 batting at 3 and even his dad didn’t want to keep him around at Worcs. You might think 4.6 isn’t very good but if he plays every game he will end up with about 150 runs for the season. You just want the moon on a stick. 

Nixon's mancrush for Rhodes and Mike will see out of the job I think.

Edited by Silebyfox_89

Thoughts on our batting lineup:

Azad - After a poor spell is he perhaps nudging his way back to his best? I hope so.

Evans - Big season for him given he's 24 now, the 3 tons last season were superb but a lot of low scores too.

Rhodes - He's capable of decent knocks as shown at the end of last season but a career average of 23 looks about his level. A bits and pieces cricketer really and in the last year of his contract. I feel we need better at 3.

Ackermann - I think of him as pretty reliable but only the 1 hundred over the 2019, 20 and 21 seasons. Would love to see him go on tomorrow as feel he's due some big scores.

Kimber - Showed enough last season to suggest there is a county batter in there but at 25 another like Evans who needs to sieze all the chances he gets.

Welch - I'm rooting for Welch after that horror injury. Have liked what I've seen of very limited evidence. Another who at 24 that could do with putting a marker down.

An Azad return to form would be timely, as would Ackermann starting to churn out runs again.

Rhodes is 28 for me looks set to follow Dearden out the door at the end of his contract. A similar sort of player in that whilst not bad, he's just not good enough consistently for this level in my opinion. I'd love to see him prove me wrong mind.

Evans, Kimber and Welch are all 24-25 with Patel (24 in July), Scriven (24 in November) and Steel (23 next week) all in a similar age bracket. So these guys are young enough to need to be given chances but old enough to need to take them as well.

I hope this encourages the sort of competition that sees at least 2 or 3 really knuckle down and produce big seasons. All for me start this season with a blank slate but already a good score from Welch who usually opens will put Evans under pressure. Runs from Kimber cement his place whilst Hill is out and could suggest Rhodes should make way when Hill is back or Patel is fit. Lots to play for.

• Like 2