Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

This has been a chastening start to the season. Even pre-season was poor. We have a bloated squad full of deeply unproven cricketers, along with one or two class acts. I don't expect us to be outstanding, but it now feels like we have fallen behind similar sized clubs like Northants, Derby, Gloucester and Glamorgan. Recruitment has been seriously poor, and for all his boundless enthusiasm, does Nico really have a plan?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

This has been a chastening start to the season. Even pre-season was poor. We have a bloated squad full of deeply unproven cricketers, along with one or two class acts. I don't expect us to be outstanding, but it now feels like we have fallen behind similar sized clubs like Northants, Derby, Gloucester and Glamorgan. Recruitment has been seriously poor, and for all his boundless enthusiasm, does Nico really have a plan?

I take your points, but to offer an alternative opinion..

We are facing a county who have improved under a proven international coach and an opening bat, about to score back-to-back double tons. We are missing our top run scorer and top wicket taker from last season. They also have the best batting conditions today.

We have to take risks with young, unproven players as we don't have the budget for much more or we are not an attractive proposition for those in their prime. Signing journeyman cricketers past their best has not worked for us in the recent past.

Nixon was linked to the England one day job in the Daily Telegraph on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, MaidstoneFox said:

I take your points, but to offer an alternative opinion..

We are facing a county who have improved under a proven international coach and an opening bat, about to score back-to-back double tons. We are missing our top run scorer and top wicket taker from last season. They also have the best batting conditions today.

We have to take risks with young, unproven players as we don't have the budget for much more or we are not an attractive proposition for those in their prime. Signing journeyman cricketers past their best has not worked for us in the recent past.

Nixon was linked to the England one day job in the Daily Telegraph on Tuesday.

Might help if we didn't pick utter dross like Rhodes. Love Nixon but he shouldn't be anywhere near an England job

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 2

We always  throw wickets away, Kimber bowled round his legs, Ackerman slapped a rank ball in the air straight to a fielder. It's a lack of concentration. 

Seem to.just survive or go hard to soon. Why not rotate the strike a bit if your struggling? 

By contrast look at how hard Derby have been to winkle out. 

I know Masood is a class player but they all got their heads down to support. Turned the strike over well. 

Edited by Cakey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Am I the only one that feels like there is a complete breakdown when it comes to what the club wants in playing staff and what Nixon wants? 

When Weston has been involved with the one day/T20 signings, they generally perform really well but it’s led to this bloated squad with little substance. 

I don't follow the County as much as I used to but how on earth do Derby manage to get such a decent batting line up compared to us. We must have similar budgets. We look miles off it this season. Nixon not the man to take us forward? 

8 hours ago, adam said:

I don't follow the County as much as I used to but how on earth do Derby manage to get such a decent batting line up compared to us. We must have similar budgets. We look miles off it this season. Nixon not the man to take us forward? 

Masood is class but I doubt he’ll be on that much, Pakistani players tend to come cheaper. But after that Madsen and Godleman have  been there years and Du Plooy will be on the same as Mulder/Hendricks. It’s just good running of the club.  

9 hours ago, adam said:

Considering we have a squad of about 27 players compared to Derbyshire who have about 18 our budget will be way higher

21 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

It’s a Cointy-City double header for me today. Around 200 in at Grace Road. How I’d love some success to return to this old place which I still love despite my frustrations over the last several years

Last several years is generous 😂 

Mckiernan had a previous top score of 52 and an average of 19. He's currently 100 not out! He's a bowler really and not shown any indication previously that he could get a hundred.

I dunno, there's lots of issues. Selection seems to be a continual problem; we've got three guys bowling 78-80mph, when walker and Sakande, who are quicker and might at least offer something different, played well for the seconds last week. Also, I appreciate that Nixon wants to allow Rhodes a bit of a run, but he was not pro standard at Worcs and as has been pointed out many times on here, it was ludicrous offering him a 3 year deal. 

I have doubts about Ackerman as captain and Nixon as coach, but by the end of the season we could end up mid table/top four championship and reach a quarter final in something else. That's me being optimistic. Nixon will be 5 years in the job by the end of the season, is that enough for a change of face? Just as in football, players need a change of voice and approach sometimes.