Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

1 minute ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Mckiernan had a previous top score of 52 and an average of 19. He's currently 100 not out! He's a bowler really and not shown any indication previously that he could get a hundred.

I dunno, there's lots of issues. Selection seems to be a continual problem; we've got three guys bowling 78-80mph, when walker and Sakande, who are quicker and might at least offer something different, played well for the seconds last week. Also, I appreciate that Nixon wants to allow Rhodes a bit of a run, but he was not pro standard at Worcs and as has been pointed out many times on here, it was ludicrous offering him a 3 year deal. 

I have doubts about Ackerman as captain and Nixon as coach, but by the end of the season we could end up mid table/top four championship and reach a quarter final in something else. That's me being optimistic. Nixon will be 5 years in the job by the end of the season, is that enough for a change of face? Just as in football, players need a change of voice and approach sometimes.

The size of the squad is genuinely baffling, considering the budget or lack of you'd think they'd limit signing for the sake of it, or put more care in to who they do pick up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harpenden Fox said:

It’s a Cointy-City double header for me today. Around 200 in at Grace Road. How I’d love some success to return to this old place which I still love despite my frustrations over the last several years

Sad to hear such a low turn out. The drive hard to grow the membership to be fair to them.

37 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

And not, by my reckoning, anyone under the age of 25 in the crowd. Virtually no interest in watching live County Cricket in Leicestershire sadly

It is very sad but over a decade of being useless eventually puts off all but the very hardiest of supporters. 

10 hours ago, Harpenden Fox said:

And not, by my reckoning, anyone under the age of 25 in the crowd. Virtually no interest in watching live County Cricket in Leicestershire sadly

Don t help that they refuse cash a supporter was turned away at the turnstiles on Friday

• Like 1

Any idea if when Championship games are played over the holidays or over a weekend if they do anything like letting kids in for free? Just out of curiosity to see if they do anything really to attract newer fans who might come back for the money making formats.

I had a look at the website just to see what pricing was like down there now, and the need to register etc to even look at ticketing would put me off, especially if you hadn't been before.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Any idea if when Championship games are played over the holidays or over a weekend if they do anything like letting kids in for free? Just out of curiosity to see if they do anything really to attract newer fans who might come back for the money making formats.

I had a look at the website just to see what pricing was like down there now, and the need to register etc to even look at ticketing would put me off, especially if you hadn't been before.

The next Championship game against Sussex, they are giving out a number of free tickets per day.

• Like 1

I wonder whether there is some tipping point reached soon for many counties where it's better to make the four day games free across the board in the hope of attracting more returnees for the white ball games.

More people in the door for the Championship at the expense of revenue on the door would still give you the opportunity to advertise to them both on the pitch and around it and additionally you'd pick up additional food and drink sales and possibly merchandising income too.

• Like 2

Just now, CrawlingFox said:

I wonder whether there is some tipping point reached soon for many counties where it's better to make the four day games free across the board in the hope of attracting more returnees for the white ball games.

More people in the door for the Championship at the expense of revenue on the door would still give you the opportunity to advertise to them both on the pitch and around it and additionally you'd pick up additional food and drink sales and possibly merchandising income too.

Especially kids, obviously you can take your own bits and bobs but I imagine you probably make up the ticket revenue on those kids with them nagging parents for extras when down there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Especially kids, obviously you can take your own bits and bobs but I imagine you probably make up the ticket revenue on those kids with them nagging parents for extras when down there.

Would be a great opportunity for us with our large squad to invite any kids attending on those non school days to get on the unused pitches during the lunch break and have a little bowl at Welch and Steel or a bat against Walker and Sakande. That's how you hook new fans young. If Rhodes is dropped it might even give him a chance to build some confidence batting against kids.

Edited by CrawlingFox
  • Like 1

7 down now and you cannot keep trying to bat out a 4th day for a draw. Thought it was a given the pitch at the FCG gets better as the game goes on so we won the toss and batted! and chances of winning the game had gone by tea on day 2. Also in our second innings in all games we bat the overs but score at around 2 an over despite the bowling team having attacking fields. You dont have to go wild  but ticking the scoreboard along at least makes the opposition think and maybe change tactics 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Graceroad said:

Don t help that they refuse cash a supporter was turned away at the turnstiles on Friday

Ridiculous that! I went down on Thursday at about 12:00-12:30 as I was off work, (don't normally go to 4 day games) I asked to buy a ticket and they looked at me gone out like it'd never happened before that a random person turned up late. 18quid is a bit steep aswell imo.

Edited by Walshy5
  • Like 1