Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

They have had the better of the bowling and batting conditions, but they won the toss and made fantastic use of it.

However, we have got ourselves in a situation where we essentially have 5 batsmen who are unselectable (Hill/Patel injured, Rhodes and Welch wretched form, Steel, on the books and being paid but won't be selected) and had to move everyone bar the openers a spot too high and hope that it worked out ok. Meanwhile there's about 6 seamers not playing in this game. That's more than a whole another XL with wicketkeeper spinners thrown in and I'm not sure which eleven would win if they played each other.

14 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Take Rhodes for example, when we've picked him up what was the purpose? What did we think he'd add to our squad, we just seem to accumulate players for no reason.

That was Wasim Khan giving a poor first class player a 3 year contract

2 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Khan had left by then hadn't he

Yep it was Sean Jarvis who also gave Scott Steel  and Roman Walker 3 years and Sam Bates Nat Bowley and Abi Sakande 2 year contracts.Don't expect any of them to get a game this season

And of course we have a director of cricket now. I’d don’t know what he’s paid, but let’s say 75k. 

We have frittered our budget on the very ordinary, and now appear to have a huge staffing roster and very little quality to show for it.

The recruitment of Hendricks appears thus far to be another disaster. A 31 year old South African journeyman doing absolutely nothing for English cricket 

2 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

And of course we have a director of cricket now. I’d don’t know what he’s paid, but let’s say 75k. 

We have frittered our budget on the very ordinary, and now appear to have a huge staffing roster and very little quality to show for it.

The recruitment of Hendricks appears thus far to be another disaster. A 31 year old South African journeyman doing absolutely nothing for English cricket 

Hendricks. Like a better batsman then bowler atm

1 hour ago, Graceroad said:

Yep it was Sean Jarvis who also gave Scott Steel  and Roman Walker 3 years and Sam Bates Nat Bowley and Abi Sakande 2 year contracts.Don't expect any of them to get a game this season

Scott Steele I think would do a job in the middle order or even open

Wouldn't say he has been poor just never plays. As I say Evans is ok but doesn't have a scoring shot. 

However Nico seems so stuck in his ways, never willing to change anything. 

Ackerman started at 5 and that's about right tbh. He is a good player as the ball gets softer. 

Sekande never gets a go either. 

Nat Bowley is a steady bowler but he has to my knowledge never played a CC game? Ever? 

What's the point? Scriven another one and Walker. 

I mean don't change a winning team but a losing one. Yes. Change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graceroad said:

To be fair on most of those:

Steel was signed as a white ball batsman and still feel confident he can do a job there. If it wasn't for this falling out I'd be considering him for our red ball team too. He is a good player.

Walker will come in for thr Blast and I do think he looks a good young player.

Bates and Bowley are academy players so I've no issue with them being given time to develop as they'll be on bottom end contracts. The academy won't always produce players like Swindells who current form aside has been very good or Ahmed who looks a huge prospect but young players do sometimes need time and can develop later.

Sakande is a bit of an odd one. Didn't necessarily look a bad gamble when our attack looked short last season but with Walker coming in and Griffiths and Evans both already languishing in the seconds, just why? Scrivens of course also bowls.

That being said at the moment I think we need a big clear out. I'm not saying we should release (which costs money for starters) all of:

Rhodes

Bates

A.Evans

Bowley

Sakande

Griffiths

Welch

Steel

But let's be honest we'd barely notice they were gone in terms of our playing XI and with the wages saved could have looked for one or two higher calibre additions. We can't go back in time but we've got to look at our squad building strategy going forwards. Klein and Dearden leaving at the end of their contracts seem to have made way for similar deadwood unfortunately.

Edited by CrawlingFox

4 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

To be fair on most of those:

Steel was signed as a white ball batsman and still feel confident he can do a job there. If it wasn't for this falling out I'd be considering him for our red ball team too. He is a good player.

Walker will come in for thr Blast and I do think he looks a good young player.

Bates and Bowley are academy players so I've no issue with them being given time to develop as they'll be on bottom end contracts. The academy won't always produce players like Swindells who current form aside has been very good or Ahmed who looks a huge prospect but young players do sometimes need time and can develop later.

Sakande is a bit of an odd one. Didn't necessarily look a bad gamble when our attack looked short last season but with Walker coming in and Griffiths and Evans both already languishing in the seconds, just why? Scrivens of course also bowls.

That being said at the moment I think we need a big clear out. I'm not saying we should release (which costs money for starters) all of:

Rhodes

Bates

A.Evans

Bowley

Sakande

Griffiths

Welch

Steel

But let's be honest we'd barely notice they were gone in terms of our playing XI and with the wages saved could have looked for one or two higher calibre additions. We can't go back in time but we've got to look at our squad building strategy going forwards. Klein and Dearden leaving at the end of their contracts seem to have made way for similar deadwood unfortunately.

Bates turns 23 in a couple of months and he's a poor batsman never going to get a game Bowleys a spinner with Parky Ahmed and Ackers at the club  also unlikely to play.If Steel and Walker are only considred as one day players they should surely be only on white ball contracts.Ask for Sakande why did we need him with so many bowlers already at the club?

57 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Bates turns 23 in a couple of months and he's a poor batsman never going to get a game Bowleys a spinner with Parky Ahmed and Ackers at the club  also unlikely to play.If Steel and Walker are only considred as one day players they should surely be only on white ball contracts.Ask for Sakande why did we need him with so many bowlers already at the club?

Bates and Bowley will both likely be off at the end of the season when their contracts end having failed to develop and breakthrough. I'll not begrudge the club having given them the chance to breakthrough though.

Walker and Steel both clearly signed as first team white ball players now who can develop into red ball players soon as well. Steel is an anamoly given the fall out with Nixon but I'd expect Walker to finish the season having played all formats.

Sakande, you've just repeated what I said really. I don't know why either.