Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

Patel opening - why?

Hill at 3 - why?

Ahmed at 6 - why?

Parky at 10 - why?

Mike opening the bowling - why?

I mean those questions are probably not too relevant when we perform like this but I just don't get it.

Patel puts in a couple good knocks at 3 where previous incumbents had been rank rotten so he's moved to open with Hill who has never played there moved up to replace him.

Surely if Evans was dropped then Steel or Welch should have been in, you know actual opening batsmen. Allowing us to field the a 2-7 of Patel, Ackermann, Hill, Mulder and Swindells which on paper (form issues of some aside) actually looks stronger than anything we've put out so far and is as good as we'll get.

• Like 3

I mean I don’t think anybody wants it but we aren’t silencing any of the doubters. where do we actually go from here. 6 games into the season, not even remotely competitive in any of them.

I don’t know whether it was on here or Twitter but someone said that we need to know why people aren’t playing. If they’ve been dropped then say it. At least have some transparency. 

Someone(Nico) actually needs to be held accountable for the decisions or else we will just get worse and worse and worse.

At least Hendricks finally looks like he got the chop. Not that’s it remotely made any difference. Utterly embarrassing.

Sadly; I think there needs to be a change at the top. I absolutely love Paul Nixon but there needs to be a different voice; if nothing else. This can't continue as it is.

I think Jarvis is absolutely superb by the way and commercially the club is coming on in leaps and bounds.

Its the playing side; with the bloated squad and constant first innings underperformance which needs sorting. They can obviously do it as we've seen impressive second innings rearguard actions.. it seems the psychology/approach/motivation is wrong at the start of the match... or the preparation. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Sadly; I think there needs to be a change at the top. I absolutely love Paul Nixon but there needs to be a different voice; if nothing else. This can't continue as it is.

I think Jarvis is absolutely superb by the way and commercially the club is coming on in leaps and bounds.

Its the playing side; with the bloated squad and constant first innings underperformance which needs sorting. They can obviously do it as we've seen impressive second innings rearguard actions.. it seems the psychology/approach/motivation is wrong at the start of the match... or the preparation. 

It perhaps all hinges on the Blast. If we reach finals day, won't all this be forgotten and as a club we will still be valid and vital?

As people are pointing out many of these selection and batting order decisions are bizzare, but have they been captaincy decisions? Maybe Ackers didn't want to drop a fellow South African (Hendricks), until he was relieved of the captaincy? Maybe new skip, Parkinson, wanted a more dynamic line-up so he dropped Evans and picked Ahmed? A risky approach but you could argue we had nothing to lose.

Whatever the reasons for anything I just know we are under-perfoming and there is enough talent and ability in that squad to compete better than we are at the moment. 

5 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

Patel opening - why?

Hill at 3 - why?

Ahmed at 6 - why?

Parky at 10 - why?

Mike opening the bowling - why?

I mean those questions are probably not too relevant when we perform like this but I just don't get it.

Patel puts in a couple good knocks at 3 where previous incumbents had been rank rotten so he's moved to open with Hill who has never played there moved up to replace him.

Surely if Evans was dropped then Steel or Welch should have been in, you know actual opening batsmen. Allowing us to field the a 2-7 of Patel, Ackermann, Hill, Mulder and Swindells which on paper (form issues of some aside) actually looks stronger than anything we've put out so far and is as good as we'll get.

In particular Patel opening, when Rhodes and Ackermann had failed at three and Patel hd been earmarked for three pre-season. So he has two good games at three and he's moved to open!!? Is there any point having any batting order, trying to build relationships, no wonder we've had so many run outs. In the past (when we were more successful), we had the same top five or six most games and players knew each other

9 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

In particular Patel opening, when Rhodes and Ackermann had failed at three and Patel hd been earmarked for three pre-season. So he has two good games at three and he's moved to open!!? Is there any point having any batting order, trying to build relationships, no wonder we've had so many run outs. In the past (when we were more successful), we had the same top five or six most games and players knew each other

Agreed, 5 or 6 average players in the same slots consistently is better than 5 or 6 slightly better than average players playing musical chairs.

Playing musical chairs with our players who may or may not be average...

12 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

It perhaps all hinges on the Blast. If we reach finals day, won't all this be forgotten and as a club we will still be valid and vital?

I think if we did manage that then it plays right into the hands of those like Agnew suggesting "let the little counties play white ball but stop them ruining our red ball competition and Test team" as they think it's a compromise that would get them their ten team four day competition.

Of course after a season of this I might have started agreeing with them. Additionally I'm preparing myself for us to be bludgeoned senseless in the Blast too. 😞

6 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

I think if we did manage that then it plays right into the hands of those like Agnew suggesting "let the little counties play white ball but stop them ruining our red ball competition and Test team" as they think it's a compromise that would get them their ten team four day competition.

Of course after a season of this I might have started agreeing with them. Additionally I'm preparing myself for us to be bludgeoned senseless in the Blast too. 😞

The problem is Agnew's view doesn't feed into the ECB's current (or Harrison era at least) logic of going after white ball franchises first. At the top level that's what the mission has been because that's where they've seen big pound/dollar/rupee signs. Franchising red ball teams makes no sense from a commercial point of view and, while that debate will rage for as long as England are shite at Test cricket, it would do absolutely nothing to improve the Test team in the short term and would logistically become a nightmare in terms of developing a long-term strategy for player development and the structure of the game in England overall. It would be a complete mess for a good two or three decades and I think even the greedy, bloody-minded idiots at the ECB know that.

Arguably, and it's sad that this is the case, but being good in limited overs cricket is what's actually going to save us as a first class club because that's the area the vultures are really interested in cutting for the sake of a few quid. It's no excuse for us being absolute muck in the Championship but I might forgive it, only just a tiny little bit mind, if we actually show up in the short form stuff this summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

Just cannot see us somehow managing to enter the blast with any confidence. 

This level of ineptness seeps into everything unfortunately and those who play both formats will have zero confidence.  

2011 we won the 20/20 and finished bottom of division 2 in the Championship with 1 win and 11 losses. As much as I agree we've been absolutely dreadful this season and I don't particularly rate Nixon, I don't think Championship form will affect our white ball chances that much.

8 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

2011 we won the 20/20 and finished bottom of division 2 in the Championship with 1 win and 11 losses. As much as I agree we've been absolutely dreadful this season and I don't particularly rate Nixon, I don't think Championship form will affect our white ball chances that much.

Felt like we were in games more then I feel. You could stomach that.

6 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Felt like we were in games more then I feel. You could stomach that.

Looking at the bonus points and the huge jump to Kent above us, we must have been pretty awful. I can't remember the ins and outs or the consensus about how we performed though to be honest. We've had some terrible spells in red ball cricket it's all just merged together.

The damning thing for me is that in the last 10-15 years, the likes of Essex, Gloucs, Kent and Northants have been down at the bottom with a similarly limited budget and have climbed up.

I can see Derbys doing that now with their coaching set up.

Our club was diabolically run and apart from that Abbas 1st season we haven’t seen the potential for the same at any point.

Jarvis is making great strides but on the cricketing front it’s been too poor for too long.

After the 3 year drought we got rid of it at Chelmsford. Look what’s happened to the respective teams since.

Edited by HaroldBazBo

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

The 2s' T20 against Durham is currently being streamed on YouTube if anyone wants to watch a game where me might not totally embarrass ourselves.

Had a look and just ended up watching highlights of the 2006 final with Snape chipping in with some comments about it.