Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

I've said it before and i'll say it again, as a struggling team in division 2, there's absolutely zero incentive for these players to do anything other than trundle along in the four day game.

There's no relegation threat, nothing... no jeapardy.

It's no wonder they all just happily turn up and give the bare minimum in the champ. They know they're still getting paid and they know at the end of the season at the very worst they'll still be in the same place they started!

Look at the difference when we play in cups or T20, yes we're still quite shit but we get the odd result because there's something to play for.

Whilst minor counties might not be set up to cope with a promotion (although I think some of them would be) we need to find an interim solution. Something to create some form of jeapardy/competition

I'm not onboard with KP's franchise bollocks ideas... but something needs to be done. 

Interestingly the format they switched to during the pandemic season worked quite well in terms of having something to play for/something to lose (the split to three divisions towards the end)

Edited by AjcW

7 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I've said it before and i'll say it again, as a struggling team in division 2, there's absolutely zero incentive for these players to do anything other than trundle along in the four day game.

It's no wonder they all just happily turn up and give the bare minimum in the champ. They know they're still getting paid and they know at the end of the season at the very worst they'll still be in the same place they started!

Look at the difference when we play in cups or T20, yes we're still quite shit but we get the odd result because there's something to play for.

Whilst minor counties might not be set up to cope with a promotion (although I think some of them would be) we need to find an interim solution. Something to create some form of jeapardy/competition

I'm not onboard with KP's franchise bollocks ideas... but something needs to be done. 

Interestingly the format they switched to during the pandemic season worked quite well in terms of having something to play for/something to lose (the split to three divisions towards the end)

None of the others Counties seem to lack incentive when playing 4 day cricket

2 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

None of the others Counties seem to lack incentive when playing 4 day cricket

Sussex aren't exactly doing much better than us at present are they?

Glamorgan were just as shocking until they finally started spending their england game money properly! 

Yeah there's two sides to it, firstly we need to trim the squad and recruit better. But for the existing crop i'm not surprised by the performances they put in, what exactly is the team talk? 'ooooh we might finish 2nd bottom if we try really hard' 

When you think of some of the counties that exist in Minor counties, it's ridiculous they never get a chance to get promotion and try to build something...

Yes I know the standard is even lower, but if i'm a young cricketer and Oxfordshire get promoted, I want to go and play for them not Leicestershire, similarly a sponsor would plough money into a recognisable county for sure.

Berkshire... Cheshire.... Oxfordshire.... Cambridgeshire. Huge and well known portions of the country that will never get a chance to move up the leagues.

It's dated, it's weird, it just makes no sense to me. 

Which bright spark at the MCC decided for some reason that pre season games should be against University sides and not Minor counties? I'd love to see some of the results of Division 2 vs MC

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I think it’s harsh to question their effort. I think the problem is that they’re simply not good enough, either physically or psychologically. They can do it because look at our form at the end of last season. Something has gone very wrong over the winter. 

8 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I think it’s harsh to question their effort. I think the problem is that they’re simply not good enough, either physically or psychologically. They can do it because look at our form at the end of last season. Something has gone very wrong over the winter. 

Good point. This season thus far has been extraordinarily bad on pretty much every day of the season. Players we know to be good, like Ackermann, have barely scored a run. My suspicion is that Nico tries to be everyone's mate, handing out contracts left right and centre, and there is a simple lack of determination to improve 

5 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

The 2s' T20 against Durham is currently being streamed on YouTube if anyone wants to watch a game where me might not totally embarrass ourselves.

The 2s closing in on a second defeat at the hands of Durham in today's T20 games at Grace Road. You can take that optimism and hide it I'm afraid :unsure:

44 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

What's our T20 side look like?

Gurbaz

Steel

Lilley

Naveen

Walker

All likely to come in, enough to take us from appalling to competitive?

Gurbaz 

Patel

Swindells 

Hill

Ackermann

Lilley 

Kimber 

Mike 

Parkinson 

Naveen 

Walker

Throw Steel, Ahmed, Welch, Davis in the mix too… 

Looks fairly strong to me, certainly stronger than we do at red ball cricket. Quietly confident I am despite the negativity on here. I see enough fire power there to get us some runs at a good rate. Genuinely would consider dropping Ackermann altogether though… would prefer to see Ahmed in there as another spin option that can bat.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Gurbaz 

Patel

Swindells 

Hill

Ackermann

Lilley 

Kimber 

Mike 

Parkinson 

Naveen 

Walker

Throw Steel, Ahmed, Welch, Davis in the mix too… 

Looks fairly strong to me, certainly stronger than we do at red ball cricket. Quietly confident I am despite the negativity on here. I see enough fire power there to get us some runs at a good rate. Genuinely would consider dropping Ackermann altogether though… would prefer to see Ahmed in there as another spin option that can bat.

I'd swap Patel for Steel and Kimber for Scriven to give us another pace option.

29 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Afghanistan have a 1 day series starting next month vs Zimbabwe …. Is that for their second string players? 

That's a very good question and potentially concerning.

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

So sad to see us in this state. I'll always support County but we seem to be broken beyond repair in the 4 day game. :(

Agreed. I’ve been very negative in recent weeks, but it gives me no pleasure whatsoever. County was a huge part of my life as i grew up in the 70s, and we had some wonderful players like Dudleston, Balderstone, Davison, Tolchard etc. I can still conjure up the image of 6,000 in there for John Player League games on a Sunday. We were one of the best teams in the country, year in, year out 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Afghanistan have a 1 day series starting next month vs Zimbabwe …. Is that for their second string players? 

They are official ODIs, so the results will count towards the ICC Cricket World Cup Super League. The top 7 sides and India qualify for the 2023 World Cup, so I would have thought they would want to do well. They are currently 5th. 

These dates in June were only confirmed in April after the series was postponed. I would have thought both Gurbaz and Naveen would be named in the squad for these games.

• Like 1