Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

7 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Beyond embarrassing. Even on our budget. 

We have the biggest squad in the Country are  budget isn't that low.Take a look at the Worcester side we have just played hardly full of household names apart from a decent OS mostly academy players.

14 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

We have the biggest squad in the Country are  budget isn't that low.Take a look at the Worcester side we have just played hardly full of household names apart from a decent OS mostly academy players.

Squad size is bigger than a couple (Derbs, Northants), comparable to most and smaller than a few (Surrey, Yorks) so I don't think in of itself is actually that notable.

I suspect our budget is indeed low but rather than assemble a smaller squad of higher quality like Derbyshire seem to have we've a lot of poor to average players at this level, I suspect very few would even interest Derbyshire. Galling but I suspect true.

We also don't have a very productive academy with only Hill, Swindells and Mike from yesterday's side truly home grown so we're rolling the dice on other county's released players which is fine, but frequently doing it with 2 or 3 year contracts which is madness.

However you've got to question whether Nixon is even close to getting the best from these players.

I'll give him credit for Hill who we're lucky stayed and Azad has recovered his form this season. Mike has also shown some ability. Patel looked OK at 3.

Other than that our overseas signings have been underwhelming at best. Wright has toiled and is creaking with the rest of our attack generally woeful. Evans has the temperament but hasn't shown the ability to score heavily this season. Swindells and Ackermann have been in truly awful form as we know they are better players than shown so far.

The stats bear this out - https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=14570;team=1184;type=tournament

Only Mike averages under 30 with the ball and at a terrible economy. A few lads scrape over 30 with the bat with only Azad having managed a ton. 

Compare to last season and even allowing for Wright and Parky carrying the bowling and missin Harris you can see the regression at a collective and individual level - https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=13821;team=1184;type=tournament

It's terrible from top to bottom.

33 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

Squad size is bigger than a couple (Derbs, Northants), comparable to most and smaller than a few (Surrey, Yorks) so I don't think in of itself is actually that notable.

I suspect our budget is indeed low but rather than assemble a smaller squad of higher quality like Derbyshire seem to have we've a lot of poor to average players at this level, I suspect very few would even interest Derbyshire. Galling but I suspect true.

We also don't have a very productive academy with only Hill, Swindells and Mike from yesterday's side truly home grown so we're rolling the dice on other county's released players which is fine, but frequently doing it with 2 or 3 year contracts which is madness.

However you've got to question whether Nixon is even close to getting the best from these players.

I'll give him credit for Hill who we're lucky stayed and Azad has recovered his form this season. Mike has also shown some ability. Patel looked OK at 3.

Other than that our overseas signings have been underwhelming at best. Wright has toiled and is creaking with the rest of our attack generally woeful. Evans has the temperament but hasn't shown the ability to score heavily this season. Swindells and Ackermann have been in truly awful form as we know they are better players than shown so far.

The stats bear this out - https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=14570;team=1184;type=tournament

Only Mike averages under 30 with the ball and at a terrible economy. A few lads scrape over 30 with the bat with only Azad having managed a ton. 

Compare to last season and even allowing for Wright and Parky carrying the bowling and missin Harris you can see the regression at a collective and individual level - https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=13821;team=1184;type=tournament

Bigger then a couple not sure any other side has around 27 full time pros.We have around 6 fast bowlers if  you can call them that that Are not going to get a game all season.

1 hour ago, CrawlingFox said:

Mike's bowling average is markedly improved by the four cheap wickets he took against Worcs, when they were slogging to get quick runs.

The 4 day side is rock bottom in terms of confidence. A side like Leics need their overseas players to perform, which in turn feeds confidence to the rest of the side. This year the reverse has happened.

We also have too many single format players in the squad, which is one reason for its size. Azad, Evans, Wright in four day, then Steel, Lilley, Griffiths, Walker in white ball. It's a ridiculous situation that needs to be changed. Squad is so big that some pros weren't even playing for the seconds this week, academy players can't get a game and we can't offer trials or justify a loan. What the point of signing Scriven was I don't know. Maybe he'll get a game in the Pro50, but why sign a 23 year old who needs to play and not give him a sniff of a first team chance? When you have too big a squad which is losing every week and guys are kicking their heels, it creates bad vibes

• Like 1

I think it is time for Nixon to go but I wonder if the method behind his apparent madness in recruiting quantity over quality in the playing squad reflects the fact that we find it hard to attract good English players. So what the club has done is contract as many of the waifs and strays that are willing to come in the hope that at least 11 of them might turn out to be good enough. In the event we have found few diamonds in the rough. 

But there is no excuse for screwing up our overseas players so badly this season. The 2 this year, especially Hendricks, are contributing nowhere near enough. Richard Rae on the RL Cricket Show last week was saying that Harris would have stayed but wanted to play all 3 formats,  which the club didn't agree to. If that is true it is utterly ridiculous. His very presence lifted the confidence of the other batsmen, and his weight of runs made us far more competitive. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I think it is time for Nixon to go but I wonder if the method behind his apparent madness in recruiting quantity over quality in the playing squad reflects the fact that we find it hard to attract good English players. So what the club has done is contract as many of the waifs and strays that are willing to come in the hope that at least 11 of them might turn out to be good enough. In the event we have found few diamonds in the rough. 

But there is no excuse for screwing up our overseas players so badly this season. The 2 this year, especially Hendricks, are contributing nowhere near enough. Richard Rae on the RL Cricket Show last week was saying that Harris would have stayed but wanted to play all 3 formats,  which the club didn't agree to. If that is true it is utterly ridiculous. His very presence lifted the confidence of the other batsmen, and his weight of runs made us far more competitive. 

Yes I heard that. You should stick with the guy making runs and build around that, not take more risks. Some basic common sense decisions not being made. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

The last few seasons have either been the batting being good and the bowling bad or vice versa. Now we seem to have found the perfect combination of everything being terrible. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

The last few seasons have either been the batting being good and the bowling bad or vice versa. Now we seem to have found the perfect combination of everything being terrible. 

We lost 5 wickets for 13 runs in the 1st innings and 5 for 2 runs in the 2nd innings. On the same pitch the opposition score 577-6. Everything seems broken.

6 hours ago, Graceroad said:

I’ve lost some of my enthusiasm for cricket in recent years, so haven’t followed that closely. But my assumption is that those squad members are not on big bucks. As you say, no household names?? Maybe the strategy of carrying mediocrity in depth is inherently flawed? Allied to what, at face-value, appears poor coaching and development, it’s hardly a recipe for success. 

• Like 1